1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Mad 'At's Gaming Lists (things I own or intend to own)

Discussion in 'Legions of the Damned' started by Mad 'At, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Mad 'At

Mad 'At Dumb enough to work Staff Member True Blood

This is a list I've put together for an upcoming tournament. I haven't had the chance to try it yet but I think it looks really entertaining on paper. I'd be glad to have some input on it though.

Vampire Count, Level 4 Path of Necromancy, general @435
    Nosferatu, Blood Magic
    Staff of Gerhard the Black

Vampire Courtier, Level 2 Path of Alchemy and Fire, BSB @200
    Nosferatu, Forbidden Path
    Essence of a Free Mind

Necromancer, Level 1 Path of Necromancy @100
    Dispel Scroll

Barrow King @130
    Hero's Sword, Hardened Shield, Talisman of Greater Shielding

34 Ghouls @325
    Champion, Standard

2x36 Zombies @123 each
    Standard, Musician

20 Zombies @75
    Standard, Musician

34 Barrow Guard @389
    Shields, Full Command
    Banner of the Barrow Kings

Cadaver Wagon @95
    Bone Pyre

Cadaver Wagon @100
    Bring Out Your Dead

3 Vampire Spawn @120

3 Phantom Host @85

Dark Coach @200
    Extended Chassis

A very magic heavy list (obviously), but I think it can manage a quite reliable magic phase. Blood Magic not only makes miscast less harmful for my general (crucial since I can cast spells with 4 dice with no risk of being sucked into the warp), it also allows me to reroll a single D6 part of the two Magic Flux dice (at the cost of a wound), so that I can avoid those really awful rolls. The Staff of Gerhard the Black and 3 wizards lets me channel on 4+ with reroll, so pretty reliably getting an extra die each phase.

For spells I have mostly Path of Necromancy, mainly for the nice buffs and the synergy with the Cadaver Wagons. The Vampire Courtier however can before each game choose either Path of Alchemy or Path of Fire. Against high armour Alchemy is obviously good, and Fire is useful against most. Also really like the thought of giving the Barrow Guard a 3+ armour save with the Alchemy attribute.

The role of the Barrow King is to activate Bodyguard of the Barrow Guard and to bring some extra damage. With Hero's Sword he has 4 attacks at strength 5, combined with his own Lethal Strike and Multiple Wounds (2) that is quite deadly I've found. For defence he has 3+ Armour Save and 5+ Ward. Together with the Barrow Guard I have a very strong unit, that can handle most things as long as I get a buff or two through. With Stubborn from Bodyguard I take half the number of wounds from combat resolution so should stick around a while even against the toughest foes.

The ghouls fill a similar role as my second hammer. Not quite as tough but can deal with weaker stuff, they too especially after a buff or two.

The Vampire Spawn and Dark Coach are my fast heavy hitters. Hopefully the Coach can find some weak targets to power up on before hitting the hard stuff.

Zombies are speed bumps. Phantom Host are dirt cheap and a pain against the right foes.

Dragonet and der vued like this.
  2. Mad 'At

Turning this thread into a general thread for me to post what I call my "gaming" lists. These are lists that I use in my games and that I have or at least intend to get the models for.

So, next up is a Von Karnstein list.

Vampire Courtier, lvl2 (Necromancy), general: Paired weapons, Mithril Mail, Lucky Charm, Tome of Arcane Lore; Von Karnstein: Hour of the Wolf @225
    Necromancer Lord, lvl4 (Necromancy); Tome of Arcane Power @250
    Barrow King, BSB; Hero's Sword, Talisman of Greater Shielding, Hardened Shield @155
    Banshee @85
    31 Skeletons; FC, War Standard @169
    15 Ghouls; Champion, Skirmished @150
    10 Ghouls; Skirmished @90
    20 Zombies; FC @85
    3 Bat Swarms @80
    7 Direwolves @52
    35 Barrow Guard; Shields, FC, Banner of the Barrows Kings @400
    Cadaver Wagon; Bone Pyre @95
    Cadaver Wagon; Bring Out Your Dead @100
    2 Great Bats @40
    Dark Coach; Extended Chassis, Stubborn @230
    6 Wraiths @95
    2 Winged Reapers; Halberds, Necromantic Aura @199

So, the basic idea of the list is to make use of that sweet 18" march bubble. Therefore I have lots of units, like Skirmishing Ghouls, Wraiths and Winged Reapers. Would have liked to fit more units of that kind (maybe some Phantom Host for example), but I ran out of points. The second trick in the Hour of the Wolf. It means that the vampire can raise Bat Swarms, Dire Wolves and Fell Bats up to double their starting size, and he can even create new units using The Dead Arise spell. Not sure what I hope to accomplish with that, but a unit of 6 Bat Swarms should be fun :tongue: I would also someday like to try that power out on two vampire and have 2 or 3 units of Direwolves that I raise up to 30 models, and then charge headlong into the enemy hoping to do some damage xD

The Necromancer would go with the zombies. The Banshee and Vampire would probably go with either ghoul unit, but that could depend on the opponent. Against massed shooting the Vampire might feel safer with the Zombies.

Would like to hear your thoughts on the list :)
    Also, which list-posting format is better, this one or the one in the previous post?

3. Leithel

Leithel Grave Guard

You seem to be a big fan of the two wagon approach, does this work well for you? How do you use them? Do you put them in a unit of zombies as a war wagon or have them separate?

4. Mad 'At

@Leithel: Have only run them by themselves so far. Against heavy BS shooting I might put them with the zombies. So far they have been great. The inbuilt ability means that I can cast any spell from the Path of Necromancy and still get a decent augment on one of my units, and when casting a bubbled augment spell from the path my whole army gets a lot better. The bought abilities are also really nice. A -1 to cast on enemy wizards is incredibly annoying for the opponent, as they need to use an additional dice for quite a lot of spells. This means bigger risk of miscast which is always good for me. Rasing extra wounds is also quite critical at times. Getting D3+5 Barrow Guard back can put a scare almost any opponent.

In the list above I am thinking about dropping the Bone Pyre wagon though. I only have a single unit really that need the Lightning Reflexes, and the extra wounds are more important I think. It at least makes the Hour of the Wolf more interesting. Would probably fit some Phantom Host if I do drop it, or a Necromancer with Path of Fire and Dispel Scroll.

5. Leithel

Leithel Grave Guard

Hmm I'll have to give it a shot some time. The two of them together might be worth a crack in my von carstein army that is similar to yours with different rare choices and move vampires.

6. Mad 'At

Time for a third list.

Vampire Count on Great Monstrous Reverent with Random Attacks, lvl2 (Necromancy), general @565
    Heavy Armour
    Von Karnstein, Storm Caller
    Blade of Red Thirst, Talisman of Supreme Shielding, Dragonscale Helm

Fell Wraith on Ghost Steed @100
    Beast-bane Halberd

Necromancer @100
    Dispel Scroll

Banshee @85

51 Skeletons @280
    Full Command
    Icon of the Relentless Company

5 Direwolves @50
    Champion

5 Direwolves @50
    Champion

15 ghouls @140
    Skirmished

30 Zombies @105
    Standard, Musician

10 Barrow Knights @275
    Full Command
    Banner of the Barrows Kings

4 Phantom host @110

2 great Bats @40

7 Wraiths @115

8 Wraiths on Ghost Steeds @255

Dark Coach @230
    Extended Chassis, Stubborn

This one is also a Von Karstein list, but with a 24" march bubble thanks to Large Target. It is a very high risk this list, since the general is so exposed. He does have 3+ armour and 4+ Ward though, and thanks to Storm Caller he also has Hard target so enemy shooting is at -1 To Hit. Hard target is also conferred to friendly units within 12", so he can protect the vital stuff. He also doesn’t fly, which is cheaper and means he only takes D3+1 wounds from cannons and catapults (rather than D3+2) . Finally he can use Blade of Red Thirst to heal back wounds once in combat.

The magic phase is pretty weak, and sadly I could not afford to upgrade the general to lvl 3, which means I have less protection against magic too. Magic missiles is of course a bane, but at least I have a Dispel Scroll. I could also fit a Shielding Scroll on the general if I gave him another weapon, might be worth it but I want to try this first. For my own magic phase I mainly intend to use Invocation of the Undead and the attribute to keep the army going, but the Thunderbolt bound spell granted by Storm Caller could also be handy. Burning away some chaff is always nice, and since it is lightning attacks any fliers take extra damage. The attribute also grants me a token which can be expended to reroll a To Hit, To Wound or armour save roll, that might be critical.

The rest of the army is built similarly to the one above, but with faster elements. barrow knights instead of Guard. Mounted Wraiths instead of Winged Reapers. Could mix those choices up a bit, but I generally want hard hitting stuff that benefit from the large march bubble.

7. Dark Lord Necrotis

Dark Lord Necrotis Skeleton

I like this list. I thought of a list that was similar. I gave my guard Great Weapons but I not giving them a great weapons can save many points for other things. I thought of having two varkolaks too.

8. Dark Lord Necrotis

Dark Lord Necrotis Skeleton

Can I post lists here or should start another thread? Thanks.

9. Mad 'At

@Dark Lord Necrotis: Glad you liked it :)
    The Barrow Guard have served me very well. Great Weapon (or Halberds) would make them a lot nastier in combat, but so far the only things that have managed to break them is a unit of elves that wiped them out in a single round. Would not have mattered what gear I had. With shields they can take some hurt and if given a buff or two they can deliver some hurt too.

I'd rather keep this thread for my own lists. You can continue posting lists in the thread you have or post new thread, that's up to you.

10. Mad 'At

Inspired by @Thalasarian, I've made a new list.

2500pts Brotherhood of the Dragon

Vampire Count, general, level 1 (Death) @400
    Brotherhood of the Dragon; Crimson Rage
    Talisman of Supreme Shielding; King Slayer; Divine Attacks; Hardened Shield

Necromancer Lord, level 4 (Necromancy) @300
    Tullius' Teeth; Book of Arcane Power

Necromancer, level 1 (Necromancy) @115
    Staff of Gerhard the Black

Necromancer, level 1 (Necromancy) @100
    Dispel Scroll

Barrow King, BSB @180
    Unliving Shield
    Red Plate of Gilles de Raux; Screaming Swords

Barrow King @155
    Dragon Mantel; Hero's Sword; Talisman of Lesser Shielding

2x60 Zombies @195 each
    Standard Musician

2x Direwolves @50 each
    Champion

14 Ghouls @140
    Skirmished; Champion

Cadaver Wagon @105
    Bone Pyre; Endless Horde

Cadaver Wagon @110
    Bring out Your Dead; Endless Horde

Varkolak @180
    Vampiric (3+)

3 Vampire Spawn @129
    Skirmished

6 Wraiths @95

Two massive units of zombies. One with the Vampire Count and the Bone Pyre Cadaver Wagon, the other with the rest of the characters and the other Cadaver Wagon. I don't actually have enough zombies to support these two units if I were to raise them to the max, but hopefully I can manage even 10 zombies short of that.

The Vampire Count is kitted to both be able to handle big units and characters. I like King Slayer since I imagine him able to handle most stuff that isn't characters with his own stats. Might have trouble with monsters though. Hopefully the large zombie unit will always be engaged with at least some enemy characters. He has Path of Death so that he can snipe out enemy champions before combat. The Cadaver Wagon in his unit offers a small trick though, since it can challenge I can hopefully avoid putting the guy in challenges I don't want him in.

With magic I channel on a 3+ with reroll, and the lord has +3 To Cast and To Dispel. Should give me both a powerful magic phase and a god chance of stopping the opponent's. With magic I hope to mainly raise more zombies and keep the characters alive. Some combat buff should also be nice. The zombies are most likely hitting on 4+ thanks to Lightning Reflexes, but rerolls both To Wound and To Hit would be nice.

The Barrow Kings are both quite tanky (one with 4 wounds, the other with 2+ Armour) and both have Unliving Shield so that they can protect the necros. I fear it won't be overly effective still, but should be fun to try. The lord at least has Distracting and grants it to his unit. I kinda want to give him Fencer's Swords too, but that would mean giving up on the book. Do you guys think that would be worth it?

11. Mad 'At

Another list! And another Von Karnstein one. I made it cause I wanted to try making a list focused more on units that work independently, instead of relying on the general to buff them up, and I wanted to find more uses for the knights.

Necromancer Lord, general, level 4 (Fire) @290
    Skullsplitter; Book of Arcane Power

Vampire Courtier, level 1 (Necromancy), mounted on Skeletal Steed (5+MP) @225
    Red Plate of Gilles de Raux; Flaming Lance

Fell Wraith mounted on Skeletal Steed @100
    Beastbane Halberd

Necromancer, level 1 (Fire) @100
    Dispel Scroll

Banshee @85

50 Skeletons @275
    FC; Icon of the Relentless Legion

20 Zombies @75
    Standard; Musician

45 Zombies @150
    Standard; Musician

5 Direwolves @40

10 ghouls @90
    Skirmished

12 Barrow Knights @327
    FC; Banner of Speed

3 Vampire Spawn @129
    Skirmished

Varkolak @185
    Stomp (D3+1)

Dark Coach @230
    Extended Chassis; Stubborn

2 Winged Reapers @199
    Halberds; Autonomous

All core units huddle around the 20 man bunker with both necros. The banshee joins where needed, probably with the ghouls. Combioned with Skullsplitter it gives me a surprisingly strong shooting phase. Path of Fire for even more ranged damage. An additional trick is to use Flaming Swords on either the Banshee or the general for a slight boost to the shooting.

Both mounted characters go with the knights. The Von Karnstein vampire allows them all to march. He also has Path of Necromancy so that he can raise back knights that fall, or at least has a chance to. Might give him the Blade of Red Thirst instead of the armour, but that leaves him a bit unprotected. With 3 wounds and Vampiric (2+) he should be good.

All in all, this gives me 4 units (knights, spawn, vakolak and coach) that can all act independently, and are all pretty strong.

I do consider taking the BSB upgrade on the vampire. Do you think it'd be worth it?

12. Mad 'At

Time for another list, and one of my strangest ones at that. This is a Lamia list with no wizards.

Vampire Courtier; Paired Weapons, The Dead Arise, Ring of Fire, Lamia: Mesmerizing Gaze @340

Vampire Courtier; Paired Weapons, Crown of Scorn, Talisman of Greater Shielding, Lamia: Mesmerizing Gaze @350

Barrow King; BSB, Paired Weapons, Bluffer's Helm, Charm of Cursed Iron @316

Barrow King; Hero's Sword, Hardened Shield, Talisman of Greater Shielding @260

34 Ghouls: Champion @630

22 Skeletons: FC, Aether Icon @290

3 Bat Swarms @160

36 Barrow Guard: Shields, FC, Banner of the Barrows Kings @852

5 Barrow Knights: Standard, Musician @220

1 Varkolak @360

3 Vampire Spawn @220

1 Court of the Damned: Ward Save (4+) @420

2 Great Bats @80

It does have 4 bounds spells, a +2 to Dispel and a Dispel Scroll (Crown of Scorn) though. Doubling up on Mesmerizing Gaze should give me a decent chance to push at least one Whispers of the Veil through.

The list is a bit rough around the edges, and there are some detail I am uncertain about. For example the Barrow Knights. These are basically just an extra Scoring Unit, but I'm unsure about how effective they will be otherwise. Should I take a magic banner on them perhaps? I Could take Aether Icon on them and play them very defensively. Then I could go for a cheaper bunker using zombies instead of skeletons. Any thoughts?

13. Quinten

Quinten Grave Guard

I don't know if the barrow knights are a good idea either you might want to trade them for a necro. Statistically speaking in eighth skeletons were better point for point that zombies without magical support but zombies were better with, I'd assume it would be the same now. I really don't know about a VC list with no invocation though. It just doesn't seem like a great idea though I haven't even played a game of v1.2 so take this with a large grain of salt.

14. Mad 'At

Adding a necromancer pretty much compromises the entire idea of running without wizards :tongue:

I know it is highly risky to play VC without raising abilities, but I wanted to give it a try. Unlike most of my lists this is not very character dependant. Even think about removing the non BSB Barrow King to add more troops.

I have more skeletons than I have Ghouls. Do you think it would be a good idea to run a big unit of skeletons as a combat block and include a bunker of zombies instead? Since I run my ghouls in horde, switching them to skeletons would mean a smaller frontage, meaning I can fit more stuff within marching range. Might be a good idea I think.

15. Quinten

Quinten Grave Guard

You could take out the barrow knights and get more skeletons with the points and a caster bunker. I really don't think running VC without wizards is a good idea. I'd be very interesting to see how it does but wouldn't use it myself.

I don't think taking out the ghouls is a good idea. You need units that can actually kill stuff and ghouls kinda deliver.

16. Mad 'At

Good points. Made some changes, and I think the list is in a better state.

Vampire Courtier; The Dead Arise, Ring of Fire, Lamia: Mesmerizing Gaze @330

Vampire Courtier on Skeletal Steed; Halberd, Crown of Scorn, Talisman of Greater Shielding, Lamia: Mesmerizing Gaze @420

Barrow King; BSB, Paired Weapons, Bluffer's Helm, Charm of Cursed Iron @316

34 Ghouls; Champion @630

22 Zombies; Standard, Musician @162

2 Bat Swarms @120

36 Barrow Guard; Shields, FC, Banner of the Barrows Kings @852

11 Barrow Knights; FC, Aether Icon @590

1 Varkolak @360

3 Vampire Spawn @220

1 Court of the Damned; Ward Save (4+) @420

2 Great Bats @80

Removed the second Barrow King as he didn't really add much. Increased the size of the Barrow Knights and put the second Vampire Courtier on a Skeletal Steed. Gave the knights the Aether Icon to free up points by taking zombies rather than skeletons as bunker for the general.

I think the list has some merit. Unlike many of the lists I've made, that rely heavily on magic, it has a lot of units and a lot of threats. The Court, the Varkolak and the Vampire Spawn are all fairly strong pieces that could cause some worry. The Knights and the Ghouls are not to be trifled with and the Barrow Guard are really tough. Hopefully at least some of the threats will be on the field by the time I make it across the board.

As for magic, I am hoping the the Whispers of the Veil from Mesmerizing Gaze could combo very nicely with the Bat Swarms and the Court. But that remains to be seen.

17. Quinten

Quinten Grave Guard

This list looks a lot better but I still don't think no invocation is a good idea on VC.

18. Mad 'At

Got another crazy list. this one was created with one single purpose in mind. To give me a reason to build and paint the Nagash model I have lying around.

4500 pts Nosferatu
    Vampire Count on Colossal Zombie Dragon, 4 Spells Master (Occultism), The Dead Arise, Charm of Cursed Iron, Book of Arcane Power, Lucky Charm, Colossal Zombie Dragon, Arcane Knowledge @1260
    Vampire Courtier, BSB, 2 Spells Apprentice (Cosmology), Wand of Stability, Arcane Knowledge @380
    Necromancer 1 Spell (Alchemy) @160
    20 Zombies, Standard, Musician @150
    38 Zombies, Standard, Musician @258
    39 Zombies, Standard, Musician @264
    2 Bat Swarms @120
    2 Bat Swarms @120
    10 Spectral Hunters @580
    1 Dark Coach @440
    2 Winged Reapers, Halberds @408
    1 Varkolak @360

So, the main feature in the army is of course the Nosferatu Count on Colossal Zombie Dragon, who would be represented by the Nagash model. For magic I'm mostly hoping he will do a lot of damage to the enemy. Pentagram of Pain with 15" range should put a lot of hurt in MSU armies, while Grave Calls and Marked for Doom takes on the tougher stuff and characters. The BSB has Cosmology simply because I love that Path, not sure how useful it will be but I like it, and besides, I don't think Evocation will be much more of use. The Necromancer has Alchemy to put another threat on armoured stuff, and potentially allow the Spectral Hunters rerolls To Wound if they ever end up in combat.

The rest of the army is build mainly on speed. The Spectral Hunters and Winged Reapers will accompany the Count, within 18" but not within 15" preferably. The Dark Coach and Varkolak handle themselves. In core there is basically only sacrificial wounds for Occultism and a bunker. Some of it can be used as redirectors or speed bumps in a pinch.

What are your thought? How could this list be improved while still keeping the Dragon pretty much the same? One thing I have in mind is to remove the Varkolak and boost the Winged Reapers to 4 models, but that would be 2 additional model I have to get.

EDIT: Revised list

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  19. MedMos

MedMos Zombie

I haven't tried the Winged Reapers, but with the speedy list I think you'd do well to keep the varkolak, to have more threats your opponent has to keep tabs on. Too many points in one place would be more incentive to hunt them down. But this is just speculation, I am not very proficient. :)

20. Quinten

Quinten Grave Guard

When I first saw that you were putting a Nosferatu count onto a zombie dragon, I thought it was a terrible idea that combined two of the worst things in our book. When I thought about it a second time I realised that it might just be dumb enough to work.

Couple suggestions:
    Give the man a weapon. That Nosferatu count has 60pts of unused magical item potential. He can't take a mundane weapon but he could still rock an axe of battle or fleashrender.
    Take wraiths instead of spectral hunters. With movement tricks they are as good and they cost fewer points.
    Since you no longer have spectral hunters switch your necro to evocation.
    Take your zombies in units of 24. This means you can conga line them if you deploy them right at the front of your deployment zone in a 6 x 4 formation on the first turn. If you despise evil players like myself that conga line then ignore this suggestion.

Would really like a battle synopsis if you ever use this list. It looks interesting to say the least.

21. Mad 'At

@MedMos My thought with getting more Winged Reapers is to get a unit that could actually tank. Now I just have a bunch of stuff running around but nothing that can take damage. Winged Reapers also heal fairly easily and a bigger unit would make greater use of that. Not sure though, and as said I would have to get two additional models so there is that.

@Quinten Can't understand why I didn't think of a weapon for the Count, he definitly should have one. Fleshrender should suit him fine I think. Although since I am at the very limit in character allowance I would have to strip away the necro to do so. Not a huge loss I think. Also let me fit Skullsplitter on the BSB which should be useful in taking out units damaged but not killed with magic.

I've tried Wraith (although in smaller units) and were not impressed. I think the 2 extra movement could make a huge difference. Besides, I want a reason to paint them up too xD

Might try a proxy game with the list in a foreseeable future, otherwise it will be a while since there is a lot to paint for it. Will let you know if I get around to it.
    That will be my new title xD

Here is the revised list:
    4495 pts Nosferatu
    Vampire Count on Colossal Zombie Dragon, 4 Spells Master (Occultism), The Dead Arise, Charm of Cursed Iron, Book of Arcane Power, Fleshrender, Lucky Charm, Colossal Zombie Dragon, Arcane Knowledge @1310
    Vampire Courtier, BSB, 2 Spells Apprentice (Cosmology), Skullsplitter, Arcane Knowledge @405
    20 Zombies, Standard, Musician @150
    38 Zombies, Standard, Musician @258
    39 Zombies, Standard, Musician @264
    2 Bat Swarms @120
    2 Bat Swarms @120
    10 Spectral Hunters @580
    1 Dark Coach @440
    2 Great Bats @80
    2 Winged Reapers, Halberds @408
    1 Varkolak @360

With the points left over from removing the Necro I added a unit of 2 Great Bats, for further board control.

22. Leithel

Leithel Grave Guard

Wow there are so many eggs in that basket that if you trip and fall the resulting omelette would make one hell of a breakfast.

Still I rekon it'd be good fun to play. Why not have a Mortis Engine with Dark Tome so you're +5 to cast?

23. Quinten

Quinten Grave Guard

Casting bonus is capped at +3. Plus the altar only boosts when you cast on evocation.

24. Mad 'At

@Leithel: Not only what @Quinten said, I am also don't know what model I would use for an Altar, since I don't like the GW Mortis Engine xD

25. Quinten

Quinten Grave Guard