1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Our Undead pals over at tom-kings.net have started a casual painting/modelling competition akin to our own "Turning the World to Darkness" challenges. If they are not enough to slake your thirst, you can find out more about Khemri's newest creation here: http://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/painting-challenge-on-khemri-forum.30854/#post-445673
  3. Big changes are coming to Age of Sigmar! Narrative battles, points and a Book! What does this mean for the Vampiric hordes?!
  4. The 9th Age, the fan made rules alternative, has had it's rules updated to version 1.3! What changes could this bring for our fellow vampires?

Magic Weapons question.

Discussion in 'Laws of the Night' started by GrandMagnus, Mar 23, 2016.

1. GrandMagnus

GrandMagnus Zombie

My question is regarding common magic weapons, honestly from back in the 6th edition but magic weapons from the 8th edition would apply as well. So here is the question:

If I buy the biting blade or the sword of might for a character, does it have to be modeled as a sword or could it be an axe or a halberd, for example?

2. Mad 'At

Mad 'At Dumb enough to work Staff Member True Blood

It all depends on your gaming community really.

The most common way to deal with Magical Items and WYSIWYG though is something along the lines of "semi-open lists" that were described in Swe Comp (page 32). Which basically means you translate the item to a mundane equivalent. So the Biting Blade and Sword of Might would both be considered as a Hand Weapon. This means any weapon held in a single hand should be fine, such as swords, axes and clubs. Halberd is another mundane item however so that people could have trouble with.

3. GrandMagnus

GrandMagnus Zombie

Alright, thanks for the clarification Mad 'At. Too bad it seems there are no magic halberds :/

4. Leithel

Leithel Grave Guard

A Halberd could be a two handed weapon really, but I think @Mad 'At is right in that you should check with your gaming group what their thoughts are. If it were me and you had a guy with two swords and gave him a magic halberd I just wouldn't care. If it were a comp, I'd say two handed weapon for halberd would be fine but best to check.

5. GrandMagnus

GrandMagnus Zombie

Alright I wrote to one of the few guys I've gamed with once or twice (we aren't that many) and he said it wouldn't bother him and I really doubt it would bother the others, since we are only, at most, 3 players in my area and there are no competitions here. Also the only other person I play with is my brother and he doesn't care about rules as long as it's balanced.

But we did talk a bit about how the WYSISYG rule would apply: The common magic weapons, even though the are called SWORD of battle and biting BLADE they should allow the player to choose a one handed, two handed, halberd or spear as weapon modelled on the miniature, because for example the description of the Sword of Battle is "Weapon, + 1 Attack",
    it doesn't say HAND weapon or Halberd, just weapon and so the special rules of the weapon chosen applies to the magical weapon (+2 strenght for halberds, +6 ward save if its a hand weapon combined with a shield, etc)

BUT, for the faction unique weapons, like the imperial Sword of Sigismund, that's a magical sword; the Hammer of Judgement, that's a magical hammer, and so on. So that's how we solved it.

Dragonet likes this.
  6. owain_b

owain_b Ghoul

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the 8th Ed rule book does state in the magic weapon section somewhere that a magical weapon can be counted as any hand weapon, so you could have Axe of Battle etc. I think it just cant be used as a special weapon like a halberd or great weapon etc. So I think it states pretty much what people have said above in the 8th Ed rules :)

7. GrandMagnus

GrandMagnus Zombie

Interesting, I wish I had my 8th edition book near me right now, since it's been so long since I've played fantasy. I need to refresh my rules knowledge :tongue:

But as I said, I talked with my friends and they don't really mind.

EDIT: And really when you think about it, it is still balanced to allow any weapon type for the common weapons. Think of the sword of battle as a halberd: The character gets +2 strenght from the halberd and +1 attack from the magic of the weapon. It's not exactly overpowered. The fluffy explanation could be that it's a well forged blade on the halberd, perhabs it's lighter than the average halberd allowing the character to wield it faster, etc.

Anyways, these would just be my homemade rules for that kind of equipmet. But thank you all for commenting :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  8. johnniewalk

johnniewalk Zombie

I am new to this game, now i am in starting level of this game.