1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Magnetization & Terrorgheists

Discussion in 'Dying to Help' started by Barn Owl, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Skeleton

Hey all,

I'm assembling a 40K Dark Eldar / Drukhari army; I don't care for the voidraven bomber, but I love the terrogheist model. I haven't magnetized before (just tested on a kabalite warrior) and am hoping someone could provide me with insight into how to do the Terrorgheist properly. Plus I want to share some pics.

I first cut away a few vertebrae:

[​IMG]

Next, I took some Dark Elf dark rider components, sawed off the horse bits, and hollowed out the area between the legs:

[​IMG]

The two fit pretty well even without milliput yet.

[​IMG]

I've never tried this until now, but man, do I love tick tack (or whatever you call it). I'm using it to determine where I want to position the dark scythes. I thought about mounting them parallel with the mid-to-rear ribs, but then the muzzle flashes would be right next to the pilot, which would surely be disorienting:

[​IMG]

Plus, something about it just generally doesn't look badass enough, right?

[​IMG]

I hit upon a better position, way up front, with each scythe semi-parallel to the angle of the shoulder blades:

[​IMG]

Reminds me of the revenant from Doom.

I was listening to Mr. Pink talk about the talos pain engine, and the fact that it literally is fueled by pain. It got me inspired, so I hollowed out the voidraven's chest cavity.

[​IMG]

I dismembered a VC ghoul and am in the process of reassembling it into a fetal position. Eventually the poor devil will be wired up Tommyknockers-style to serve as a living battery of sorts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I accidentally sent the upper portion of the right leg ricocheting across my apartment with my clippers, so I pinned a paperclip and greenstuffed over it:

[​IMG]

I need a name for the sad little fella. Any ideas?

Lastly, I added some SAW050 tentacles which will act as wiring:

[​IMG]

So! I'm planning to magnetize the arms / wings, of course, and I wonder if I should also consider magnetizing half of the tail? Generally, which size magnets have others found suitable for these locations? I purchased some 3mm diameter / 2 mm thick magnets, and I feel like they won't cut it for the wings.

On a size note, I will likely be replacing some or all of the rear legs with engine-like machinery, so magnetizing them is up in the air (forgive the pun). I'll be magnetizing the scythes as well, and maybe the rider's upper body.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

I have detachable wings on my TG and I followed THIS tutorial. You can check it out for inspiration and some info about magnet sizes.

3. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Skeleton

Thanks Borgnine--that's a perfect place to start. I'll post updates once the supplies arrive.

4. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Skeleton

Regarding the drill bit mentioned in the tutorial--did you end up using a grip vice, or some other means? I'm curious how holding the two together would work. (Don't own a vice yet).

5. Borgnine

With a drill that big you can use it simply as it is - with your hands (if you have a target hole carved with a knife beforehand - but well, that's a must no matter what are you using). Or with a normal drill tool - if you are careful of course ;) I used a dremel for it - a really useful tool for anyone into converting and/or magnetizing.

6. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Skeleton

Thank you for the head's up about dremels! I've been looking at options all day. Do you have a powered or manual one? Do you happen to know the manufacturer name or model?

7. Borgnine

I have a powered one - and to be precise, THIS ONE from Proxxon. I have been using it for quite some time and it didn't fail me so far - especially when compared to the last one.

The one I had earlier had about five different tips of various circumferences that you had to switch when using different tools - and the one I'm using now has a screw on top, similar to the ones found commonly on drill tools. Those five tips were problematic at times - when a given tool was too small for one of them but too big for another - with the screw there are no such problems, it fits every size - especially useful while drilling.

Other than that, the on/off switch is on the underside rather than on top - which I also found more comfortable. It also doesn't get hot when I forget to take it out of the power socket - but why is that, I don't really know ;)

I don't know if this one is available in your country, but maybe those observations of mine would help you to find something that would fit you.

8. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Skeleton

Thanks again Borgnine. Whoa, now THAT looks like some military-grade tech, no?

[​IMG]

The cheapest I could find was around $200, including shipping, to get it to the US. I'll see if I can find a New World equivalent to cut out the shipping costs, but in the meantime, I'll try my hand at hand-screwing first ;) Thanks again.

9. Borgnine

200$? That's crazy! I spent around 30 seconds deciding before I bought that particular one - it's definitely not worth spending so much over ;) I'm sure you can find good stuff there too.