1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

MORDHEIM Dwarves vs Undead vs Carnival of Chaos

Discussion in 'Legacies of Blood' started by Mc1gamer, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Mc1gamer

Mc1gamer Nagash will Rise AGAIN! He's back? Nevermind

Can Thigvald's Banhammers survive against two scary warbands at once?

2. MasterSpark

MasterSpark Nostalgian Staff Member True Blood

Ooh now this is an exciting match up, gonna watch it right away...

3. MasterSpark

That was a good match, although I always get a tear in my eye when I see a vampire go down. Do you know how he rolled on the serious injury chart?

Also, I don't know if you're using the official Chaos On The Streets rules for multiplayer scenarios, but in those rules only the lowest rated warband gets any underdog experience. I'm not sure if that would have been you or the Undead warband in this game but I think you're higher than 160?

4. Mc1gamer

Yeah, the local guys have a slightly revised set of rules, some more hardcore, some less. For instance, in the regular spring campaign (which has from 10-20 people playing, with a prize for the highest warband. Its regulated by one of the store managers), if you lose a hero, you can't just rebuy a new one. You have to roll the XP in your searching at the end, which is really supposed to just be for adding a new (or replacing a slain) veteran henchman that has leveled up a bit. So if you want to get a hero you would have to roll a 10 or higher! That's pretty debilitating. I've talked to the organizer and he agrees its an extreme interpretation but also likes how hardcore it is. What I don't like is that it fosters much more conservative play, people don't want to risk any heroes because its so easy to lose them, and if you do, its rather hard to replace them. For multiplayer though, everyone benefits. They want to give more opportunity for any underdogs to catch up as a result.

For the after battle rolls, the vamp survived, but the necro died. The Carny player lost a henchman and a hero, but he had a good supply of gold to replace both. I've already gotten the guys to loosen up for this less serious campaign about the need to roll to even rehire those guys. We've seen the high end warbands trade places for top rating, but early on, so many people just rerolled the band after a loss or two. I think I'm the only one who didn't reroll yet of the top 3-4 bands, but I've not gotten in as many games as the other top bands. Some guys have rerolled many times. One guy, new to Mordheim, has had 4 warbands. He's got a good attitude and is looking to try out various warbands in prep for the spring thing, but yeesh, losing that much can get rough. I just toughed it out and now my warband is going rather well. Still not top dog. The carny and possessed have me out skilled, out numberbered, and both are good players. Its one of the reasons why I've tooled up some close combat capabilities. If they get into CC, I'm toast with an all shooty army, and they LOVE terrain. They also seem to allow you to hide if even your ankles are covered by a bush lol. Its all good, fun stuff though.

5. MasterSpark

Treating new heroes as veterans for purchasing is pretty harsh, for sure. Have you covered how that will work for vampires since Undead have the sole right to re-buy a killed leader? Like other leaders they start out at 20 experience.

So what you're doing now is more of a warm-up for another campaign that's going to start during the spring?

And I agree with you, the thing that really matters is to keep your eyes on the long run. People aren't re-rolling their warbands due to lost games but rather for taking heavy actual losses, I assume?

6. MasterSpark

@Mc1gamer, what happened to your Mordheim gaming? Did it drop off or have you just been focusing on reporting on other things?

7. Mc1gamer

Oh, I had several games that were lost when my PC crashed in the spring :( I've since started up some new games but that has been put on hold as both Bolt Action and a new Mordheim campaign are about to start again in the next month or so. I'll surely have more batreps for those!

8. MasterSpark

I'm glad to hear that, I'll look forward to see your new reports when they're done. Any plans for a new warband?