1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Mortarch and Mortis Engine Large target question

Discussion in 'Laws of the Night' started by Kallypso, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Kallypso

Kallypso Zombie

Hi guys!

I'm a new WHFB player and i chose the VC because i really like the Ethereal Theme and i was tired of playing good guys in 40k. ahah! and also excuse my poor english, it's not my main language

First of all, i really like the Mortarch model and also the Mortis Engine one. but i want to convert them a bit for a few reasons.

I was watching some videos about the Mortarch on youtube and the thing i dislike about the model is that it seems really unsteady and fragile. So, i would like to convert it so he would be walking on his legs instead of flying.

For the Mortis Engine, i would like to cut the bottom half of the spirits so that i can create a second Mortis Engine with some corpse cart bitz i have. Thus with one kit i would get 2 mortis engine one with the upper part of the spirits and the normal shrine (plus some other ethereal knight i'll add in the front) and another one with the bottom part of the spirits with a corpse cart shrine.

The only problem i see with my conversions ideas is that since the 2 models are large target, they would be really smaller than usual and i would like to know if rule wise it's ok or not?? I don't want to do all this effort converting these nice model if i'll not be able to play them.

thx for helping me solve my problem! :)

Kallypso

2. Nicreap

Nicreap Ghoul

In friendly games it wouldn't be a problem, but if you take it to a tournament, you may have people complain that you are trying to model to your own advantage but cutting the heights in half.

3. Kallypso

Kallypso Zombie

Do a normal mortis engine gets hard cover from our monstrous infantry (crypt horrors, vargheist, Morghast, etc)?

if yes, can i just say in tournament game that if my ME isn't screen by said units i don't have any cover even if it is smaller than usual? Do players accept this kind of compromise?

4. Nicreap

Nicreap Ghoul

Only if that unit would obscure more than 50% of the mortis engine, which since yours is shorter and not the same size as a normal mortis engine, will be hard to judge.

5. Mad 'At

Mad 'At Dumb enough to work Staff Member True Blood

Because of the 'true line of sight' all that matter is the actual height of the models. Since yours would be smaller they would be easier to hide and some player might take that as if you are modelling to advantaged (something that is frowned upon). The easiest solution is to simply count the MEs as being the height of a normal one. Having some sort of way to mark it out, possibly by measuring the height of one and using the tape measure to represent the height. Also good to be generous to your opponent, so if there ever is a situation where it is unclear if a ME would be visible (or benefit from cover) but it is hard to tell because of the model you should judge against it. Doing that you should have no trouble using them.

6. Infernal Skull

Infernal Skull Wight King

The rule for Large Targets is that they can never benefit from cover, so it's all kind of a moot point. If any part of the ME is visible above the models or terrain, the enemy can shoot at it with no cover penalty.

Edit: It's only Obstacles (walls & such) that they can't get cover from, as Mad 'At pointed out below.

And considering people have converted Mortise Engines out of nearly everything but the Mortis Engine model, I don't think it's much of an issue, as long as it's reasonably tall. But when in doubt, always be generous toward your opponent.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  7. Mad 'At

Mad 'At Dumb enough to work Staff Member True Blood

Not true. Large targets do not get cover from obstacles only. They can still get cover from other things if those models or terrain pieces are large enough.

8. Kallypso

Kallypso Zombie

Good! thank you all for your answer!

the solution to measure a normal ME is a great idea and if there's any problem i'll just let it go in favor of my opponent because i'm here to play and have fun after all! ;)

9. Infernal Skull

Infernal Skull Wight King

Oops. Just looked it up and you're correct. It's only obstacles. (The example of cover in the shooting section even shows a giant getting hard cover from being obscured by a building. D'oh!)