1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

My Second Best General Award

Discussion in 'Contest of Arms' started by Yorga, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Yorga

Yorga Vampire Count True Blood

They don't come around very often for this old grognard but I took Best General (after the Tournament Organizer corrected his recording error) at a 22 player Tournament yesterday! xD Sadly I cannot claim that it was done with Vampire Counts. I had to use my new Dark Elves (Two Towers List) to get the job done. It was a 20-0 Scoring system and I went 20-0 (tabling Dwarves), 5-15 (losing to Arhkan the Black Tomb Kings) and 17-3 (which should have been a 19-1) against Orcs and Goblins.

The recording error was not the failure to note the 19-1. That was my fault in cheating myself out of 300 extra victory points for an objective. What the Organizer did was accidently reverse my last battle when he entered the numbers showing me as a 3-17 lose. But he made good and the guy who had been given the award (gift card) was super gracious when the organizer asked him to relinquish it. That man has my future "Favorite Opponent" vote!:thumbsup:

This Tournament had NO comp restrictions. All Special Characters in the books were allowed. I didn't use any because I was practicing for an upcoming Comped tournament. This event WAS player comped. At the end of the tourney you had to vote in order the player who had to hardest list you played, the second hardest and the least hardest. Five points were given for each vote you got for having the least hardest and this was added to your battle points. So players potentially could have a range of negative 15 to positive 15 added to their battle points. So in essence Best General was Battle plus Comp.

Our own Johnny Crass had 10 more Battle Points than I did but his comp score modifier was -15 (which means all 3 of his opponents rated his army as the hardest they played.). My comp modifier was 0. So that put me over Johnny by 5 points to take the prize.

2. Seneschal

Seneschal Liche True Blood

Congratulations, Yorga. Any chance we can see the list? I'm curious how the Shrine works.
    and what did the TK player have if you don't mind? I use Arkhan myself and I like seeing other players' takes on how to best use him.

3. Yorga

My list:

2500 Pts - Dark Elves Roster -

Total Roster Cost: 2500

Dreadlord (1#, 249 pts)
    1 Dreadlord, 154 pts = (base cost --- + Heavy Armour - + Sea Dragon Cloak -)
    1 Ogre Blade, -- pts
    1 Enchanted Shield, - pts
    1 Ring of Hotek, -- pts

Death Hag (4#, 330 pts)
    1 Death Hag (Battle Standard Bearer), 110 pts = (base cost 85 + Battle Standard Bearer 25)
    1 Cauldron of Blood, 190 pts
    1 Sword of Anti Heroes, 30 pts

Supreme Sorceress (1#, 330 pts)
    1 Supreme Sorceress, 240 pts = (base cost --- + Dark Steed -- + Level 4 Upgrade --)
    1 Dispel Scroll, -- pts
    1 Obsidian Trinket, -- pts
    1 Cloak of Twilight, -- pts

Dark Riders (5#, 110 pts)
    5 Dark Riders, 110 pts = 5 * 20 (base cost -- + Repeater Crossbow - + Shield -) + Musician Mus --

Dark Riders (5#, 110 pts)
    5 Dark Riders, 110 pts = 5 * 20 (base cost -- + Repeater Crossbow - + Shield -) + Musician Mus --

Witch Elves (20#, 295 pts)
    19 Witch Elves, 229 pts = 19 * 11 (base cost --) + Musician Mus -- + Standard Bearer Std --
    1 Hag, 21 pts
    1 Razor Standard, -- pts

Corsairs (10#, 110 pts)
    10 Black Ark Corsairs, 110 pts = 10 * 11 (base cost - + Extra Hand Weapon -)

Har Ganeth Executioners (28#, 381 pts)
    27 Har Ganeth Executioners, 344 pts = 27 * -- (base cost --) + Musician Mus -- + Standard Bearer Std --
    1 Draich-master, 22 pts
    1 Banner of Swiftness, -- pts

Harpies (5#, 75 pts)
    5 Harpies, 75 pts = 5 * --

Reaper Bolt Thrower (3#, -- pts)
    1 Reaper Bolt Thrower, -- pts

Bloodwrack Shrine (1#, --- pts)
    1 Bloodwrack Shrine, --- pts

Doomfire Warlocks (5#, 125 pts)
    5 Doomfire Warlocks, 125 pts = 5 * --

Validation Report:
    Army Subtype: Dark Elf Army; Edition: 8th Edition; Game Type: Normal Game; Special Rules: Allow Unofficial Units, Allow Warhammer Forge; File Version: 2.73
    Roster satisfies all enforced validation rules

Composition Report:
    Points of Lords: 579 (0 - 625)
    Points of Heroes: 330 (0 - 625)
    Points of Core: 625 (625 - Unlimited)
    Points of Special: 666 (0 - 1250)
    Points of Rare: 300 (0 - 625)

Created with Army Builder® - Try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com

4. Yorga

The Arkhan List.

2500 Pts - Tomb Kings Roster

Total Roster Cost: 2500

Arkhan the Black (1#, --- pts)
    1 Arkhan the Black, --- pts

Liche Priest (1#, 130 pts)
    1 Liche Priest, 105 pts = (base cost -- + Level 2 Upgrade --)
    1 Dispel Scroll, -- pts

Skeleton Horse Archers (5#, 70 pts)
    5 Skeleton Horse Archers, 70 pts = 5 * --

Skeleton Chariots (18#, 350 pts)
    6 Skeleton Chariots, 350 pts = 6 * -- (base cost --) + Musician Mus -- + Standard Bearer Std --

Skeleton Archers (20#, 150 pts)
    19 Skeleton Archers, 140 pts = 19 * - (base cost -) + Master of Arrows Sarge -- + Musician Mus -- + Standard Bearer Std --
    1 Master of Arrows, -- pts

Necropolis Knights (4#, 280 pts)
    4 Necropolis Knights, 280 pts = 4 * -- (base cost --) + Musician Mus -- + Standard Bearer Std --

Necropolis Knights (4#, 280 pts)
    4 Necropolis Knights, 280 pts = 4 * - (base cost -) + Musician Mus -- + Standard Bearer Std --

Sepulchral Stalkers (3#, 165 pts)
    3 Sepulchral Stalkers, 165 pts = 3 * --

Tomb Scorpion (1#, -- pts)
    1 Tomb Scorpion, -- pts

War Engines (4#, -- pts)
    1 Screaming Skull Catapult, -- pts

War Engines (4#, -- pts)
    1 Screaming Skull Catapult, -- pts

Hierotitan (1#, --- pts)
    1 Hierotitan, --- pts

Casket of Souls (4#, --- pts)
    1 Casket of Souls, --- pts

Validation Report:
    Edition: 8th Edition; Game Type: Normal Game; Special Rules: Allow Unofficial Units, Allow Warhammer Forge; Army Subtype: Tomb Kings Army; File Version: 2.73
    Roster satisfies all enforced validation rules

Composition Report:
    Points of Lords: 360 (0 - 625)
    Points of Heroes: 130 (0 - 625)
    Points of Core: 710 (625 - Unlimited)
    Points of Special: 810 (0 - 1250)
    Points of Rare: 490 (0 - 625)

Created with Army Builder® - Try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com

5. Seneschal

Thanks for both lists, I've got a number of questions if you don't mind, sir.

-Why the DL?
    -Did you find that 20 was a sufficient number for WE?
    -Finally, I don't see the benefit of using a shrine. Isn't it easy to deal with? It seems like the no armor save ability is redundant in a unit of execs?

-I still don't understand how so many TK players can win without units that can take a charge from something str 5 or greater. Necro Knights can't do it and yeah, they have diverters but they aren't able to march and easily shot. My own lists will run a block to absorb heavy hitters and my knight units are bigger.

Thanks for your time, sir

6. Yorga

Not sure why you edited the lists. Every other forum like Druchii.net have abandoned their policy of forbidding points to be listed. I think Carpe Noctem is a hold out. ;)

The lord really boosts the damage output of the Executioner unit and the shrine was great. Keeps it a proper horde and those Medusa attacks really came in handy. Both shooting and hand to hand. I never lost the Shrine or Executioners in any of the 3 games.

I felt 20 witches were enough. With the Cauldron. :redface:

As to the Arkhan army. His magic is what won his games. Almost always had full dice. Arkhan stores dice from previous phase, the h-titan grants a D3 to each casting. The casket grants more. It was brutal. And he casts two low levels Shems each turn. All he had to do was keep me back and the magic and Stalkers did all the work.

7. Seneschal

We have to edit the points out as per policy. DoN never altered the rules so I keep doing it. I saw him say the same thing to a member last year.

Interesting about the DE list, what lore are you running?

I run Arkhan myself and TK's have been my main army for awhile. I'd love to see some bat reps of that list in action.

Thanks, again.

8. Yorga

I ran Shadow. Worked wonders for me especially on a mobile caster. Her Cloak of Twilight and Obsidian Trinket allowed her to take such things as 17 hits from the Goblin spell Vindictive Glare (3d6 str 3 hits) and not take a single wound. :thumbsup:

I can't help you with his batreps. Can only talk about my battle with him. I believe you actually haunt the Dark Elf forums too, right? Look for a Posting of Twin Towers by Gidean. :) In short I pulled a battle of the pass scenario with him. He Turtled up and fed me Horse Archers. His Stalkers came up behind my lines and removed my bolt throwers and a unit of Warlocks that had been decimated by dual Shem's from his level 2 Light Caster. He got in one lucky charge with his chariots into the flank of my Witch Horde. One thing about elves with our ASF, we really suffer from impact hits.:grave:

Oh and it was a special scenario where you got half points for characters and units reduced to under half models/wounds. He did enough Spirit Leeches and Caresses on my Sorceress to get her down to one wound at the end of the game. And he also nickled down my executioners with screaming skulls and archery to reduce them below half. It was a 5-15 loss to me. I didn't get tabled. ;)

If I had a 're-do' button I would deploy on my 12 inch deployment line. Arkhan can't harm you unless he is within 24 inches. Is the casket moveable? He would have had to break up his turtle position and meet me in the middle or accept the fact that we would have recorded a 10-10 game result.