1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Nahash useing the dark rider spell

Discussion in 'The Teachings of Abhorash' started by TimB65, Apr 27, 2017.

?

Best charge damage and unit breaking ability.

1. 8 TK chariots 4 wide

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9 B Knights 5 wide

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 7 B kights w/ -1 armor save and fc

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. 6 necro knights w/ fc

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. TimB65

TimB65 Zombie

What would be your best charge damage for summoning units specifically with nagash using the lore of undeath (3x summon) and the spell Akar'aran - The Dark Riders 16+ ( summon 450 points worth of
    Cavalry, Monstruous Cavalry and Chariot Units.)

The scenario I suggest is an enemy's unengaged unit is threatening a charge on your zombie mage bunker. On your turn you get off the dark rider spell and plop down your hammer unit behind or to the side of said unit to dissuade the enemy from that course. Now you have a choice of what to put down. What will do the most damage with the knowledge that you will charge next turn and it will probably be on an engaged enemy's rear flank or one that just turned to face the new bigger threat.

My opinion it would be 8 tk chariots 4 wide with a standard. (Automatic D6 S5 impact hits x4 units wide)

9 blood knights 3 or 5 wide is a scary thought
    Another Blood knight option is
    7 with the razor standard full comand *(add 1 knight for 1 counter)

6 Necropolis Knights W/ fc is an option too

What are your thoughts? Am I missing a stronger charge?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  2. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

Hello!

During the End Times, Demian made a nice write-up on the Lore of Undeath.
    You can read it here:
    http://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/summoning-and-you-a-lore-guide.27449/#post-403533

According to him, the two best options for Nagash with this spell are:

- A Unit of 5-21 Black Knights, with upgrades. That is 14 Black Knights with all upgrades and Banner of the Barrows, or 15 Knights with barding/lances, Standard Bearer and Banner of the Barrows, etc.
    - A Unit of 7 Blood Knights, with Musician, Standard bearer and Flag of Blood Keep. Or 9 Knights unupgraded, etc.

Unas the slayer likes this.
  3. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Black Knight

Eh, 8 TK chariots offer some huge impact, but knights (be them black or blood, as the ones already cited), grant also more combat resolution.

4. TimB65

TimB65 Zombie

I was doing some digging, blood knights are the more powerful unit however they don't have enough units to "disrupt" the enemy units rank bonus. All of the other choices can do this. So if you already have another 2+ rank unit to flank charge and/or you really need to cut through armor then necropolis knights are probably the best bet.

If you take blood kinights as I mentioned 7-8 fullcomand 5 wide and -1 armor piercing then you get 18-19 ws 5 s7 I5 attacks with 5 more mount ws 3 s 4 attacks.
    (7 stregth plus flag negates a +2 armor save.)

Now 7-8 tk chariots 4 wide get 32-36 weak bow shots right out of the gate. Then the turn they charge 4-24 (avg 10) s5 automatic hits.
    16 ws3 s4 i2 then 8 weaker horse hits. (Need a token for fc or you can go 7 models)

6 Necropolis knights w/ fc 6 wide (horde sized) you get the 37 S5 attacks. They offer 13 ws 4 s5 i3 killing blow and 18 ws 3 s 5 i3 poison attacks. Then 6 stomp attacks (auto hit s5 attacks)

Or you can go 3 wide for two ranks to cause disruption during your flank charge. (One token gets you another model.)

15 Black knights w/barding, lances, champion, and magical banner (specifically the war banner) is the most durable option especially with magical healing support.
    20 un-upgraded /w fc gets you the most combat resolution. And it is still a 3+ amour save.

They are all toughnes 4, all listed options have a flag, and respectable armor saves. (Blood and black +2, necropolis 3+, chariots 4+)

The question is what are you attacking?

Last edited: May 3, 2017