1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Need help building beginner list for FEC

Discussion in 'Summoning the Deathrattlers' started by Veles, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Veles

Veles Zombie

Greetings! I have been playing WHFB (mostly VC) on and off since fifth edition. When GW replaced it with AoS I stopped paying attention to the rules and back ground all together. Recently a friend of mine convinced me to try it out and I decide to go with FEC.

I have quite a few models assembled and ready, the problem is – I have no clue about the game all together and not even sure how to build an army list. I picked up the Battle Tom but looking at people’s rosters online I see some items/options that I was not able to find in FEC book (“completely delusional” comes to mind). So, I was wondering if anyone can suggest a beginner list for me based on the models I currently have.

Ghoul king,

Terrorgheist

6 horrors

I courtier

20 ghouls.

Any help in this matter would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

which courtier model do you have?

Depending on which courtier it is that you have, there's a couple of different options. But either way, the most points you have in your collection is only like 1100 points. The FEC allegiance abilities are in the Generals Handbook 2017 along with allegiance abilities for Death, Nighthaunt (ghosts), and soulblight (vampires). I personally think the FEC abilities aren't that good and you should stick with generic Death.

The ghoul king on terrorgheist is one of the best units in our arsenal. The scream isn't as effective as you're used to, but it is still good against anything that isn't bravery 10 (so no Death, demons, or seraphon). However, it's much better in melee than you're used to. The Gaping Maw attacks can potentially dish out 18 mortal wounds per combat and that's in addition to all of its other attacks! The spell is also really good. It gives an extra 5+ save to any FE unit in range (which should usually be himself).

Unless you plan on summoning, then the only benefit to the ghoul king being your general is the command trait. If you have a Crypt Haunter Courtier as your general, then the crypt horrors can be battleline. However, you would have to have the FEC allegiance rather than Death. You might also be able to run the () battalion which gives you +1 to wound against monsters and can cause mortal wounds on your turns if you need some extra points.

If you only have a crypt ghast courtier then take the ghoul king as your general. Just remember to keep you courtiers next to their respective unit types as they heal them for free.

If you decide to go with FEC allegiance in a game, the delusions can be pretty good, but they are often duplicated abilities. i.e. rerolling 1s to hit against characters when you already have rerolls to hit from the ghoul king. The artefacts aren't that bad. There are three that are most common, I think the blood river chalice, flayed pennant, and heart of the gargant feast. You might find the others situationally more useful, in which case, feel free to try them out.

So your list will look a lot like your collection:

List 1. (crypt haunter)
    Delusion: The Grand Tournament
    OR Feast Day
    Crypt Haunter Courtier - general
    -command trait: dark wizardy (makes him a wizard)
    -artefact: Blood river chalice (heal D6 wounds once)
    Ghoul king on terrorgheist
    -artefact: either Heart of the Gargant Feast OR Grim Garland (reroll all wound rolls once, good for Maw OR enemies are -2 bravery, good for screams)
    3 crypt horrors
    3 crypt horrors
    20 ghouls
    warscroll battalion: Abbatoir
    Total: 1150 points

List 2: (crypt ghast)
    Delusion: Feast Day OR crusading army (reroll ones to run or charge)
    Ghoul king on terrorgheist - general
    -command trait: Completely delusional (allows you to change your delusion each turn) OR dark wizardry
    -artefact: blood river chalice
    Crypt Ghast courtier
    10 ghouls
    10 ghouls
    3 horrors
    3 horrors (you could combine these into a unit of 6, alternatively)
    Total: 1040 points

I think list one is the best but I wasn't sure which courtier you have. I hope that helps.

Aranei and Unas the slayer like this.
  3. Veles

Veles Zombie

Thank you for your response. It is exactly what I was looking for. I haven’t touched Vampires since 6th. When 7th edition came out I gave my old VC army away and focused on Daemons… but when all new models came out I still couldn’t resist the call of the “undead” and purchased them all… they were lying around ever since. When I decided to support my friend and give AoS a try I figured I can make use of those boxes.

I have Crypt Haunter Courtier so your first list is perfect for me. If I would want to increase the point cost of the list, would it be more beneficial to get additional Horrors or get 3-6 Crypt Flayers? Also, should I bring ghouls to 30 or 20 is plenty enough?

4. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

I would just get another Flesh Eaters collecting box, the one with the Terrorgheist/dragon. Crypt Flayers are pointless. They aren't really that good. As for the ghouls, it's usually best to keep at least a unit of 30 in larger games for the extra attacks. If you run more than one unit of ghouls, make one of them into a crypt ghast. Alternatively, a Varghulf (yes, the old giant bat) is actually really good as it can heal ghouls, horrors, and flayers. If you like the list I originally posted. I would take more crypt horrors and ghouls. Maybe add the Varghulf and/or another terrorgheist or zombie dragon.