• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
Aug 19, 2007
RE: New 8th rule rumurs....We're nerfed!!!

Wacky, yes but also in a way more restrictive in a way. While you can choose your spell you will never get the same spell twice(though I think there will be exceptions made, like IoN and other innate spells for other armies). Powerful RiP spells will face the extra number of PD, also I believe there are items which specifically deal with RiP spells.
Though to be honest I've heard so many 'confirmed' ways magic works now I doubt anyone actually knows :lol:

Tamodan Varison

Grave Guard
Dec 5, 2008

That'd actually be quite hilarious :)

After some thinking abiut the magical stuff, I think it's indeed not as unbalanced as it seems. If you cast a super spell, you will either get scrolled, or cast it with IF, most likely blowing apart you're wizard and the unit he's with.

Danceman

True Blood
Aug 19, 2007

Pietr Von Carstein said:
I think it'd be funny if when the book came out almost nothing changed but the cover .

Indeed, that would be quite a laught. As for magic, there seem to be these trains of though:

2D6 dice as either;
1. Pure power dice: The result of both dice are the power dice added, with the highest rolled dice being added to your opponents dispell pool.
2. Divide: The result of each dice is divded across both players, highest are your opponents DD and lowest is your own PD.

The wizards impact;
1. Power dice battery: Basically means they work just as they do now. Level 4 adds 4 power dice, level 3 adds 3 power dice, and so on.
2. Better at casting: Rather than raw power dice, wizards instead add their level to the casting value.

Choosing spells. The only area where it seems there is 100% agreement. You pick you spells but cannot have duplicates.

The encouraging factor is that those I've heard done the testing seem to be agreements as well, it is a fun experience. What that means, or indeed, will mean for us I can't say.

Mar 16, 2009
Kislev

Maybe they're trying to encourage more balanced lists, rather than focusing on one aspect. So you automatically get a half decent magic defence (rather than needing a scroll caddy if you don't want to use magic) but if you want even more defence you could take a caddy. On the other hand, you start with an alright potential for magic attack, but if you want a little more you can get multiple wizards rather than just 1 or 2. Seems to me like they want to encourage balanced lists rather than magic heavy, or combat heavy, or SCR heavy etc.
Now more casualties can be inflicted in combat so its less about the banner, 3 ranks and outnumber combo. I think they are also trying to make sure things aren't generic, for example the rumoured extra common magic items, there are believed to be at least 3 defensive ones rather than just dispel scrolls and the same with magic attack too. I think this edition is about making sure it's less generic and predictable, e.g super heavy magic list of doom blasting away will now have more difficulty even against a single wizard.

Danceman

True Blood
Aug 19, 2007

There are some exceptions to this way of choosing spells:
Bound spells
Spells the caster knows "naturally", eg Warrior Priests or Khemri Priests
Spells that are not rolled for but bought, i.e. Necromancers.

Good news. We don't have to worry about only casting a single IoN each turn, nor will Necromancers become useless as in this regard we can use multiple VDM through them. Who knows, this might just extend to all necromancy spells but I am not going to hope for too much... This is good news in its own.

DarkMan

Zombie
Apr 19, 2010

Don't know if it's been mentioned but each of the 8 lores give benefits like lore of fire if you cast a fire spell on a unit it makes casting from the fire lore easier on that same unit.Lore of light if cast you pick someone within 12'Inch and you can heal a wound on them may make duels last long good or bad for us.

Danceman

True Blood
Aug 19, 2007

That is a cool touch though. Very old-school RP approach this edition it seems. More rules within rules, more items available for all and percentages gives certain armies a wide array of option when picking characters. There are some things I do not like but that is to be expected and there are plenty of things I dislike in the current edition.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
One good thing that seems to be coming more apparent with this edition, is that due to the much more variety available we should see much more varied lists rather than the same ones over and over.

Jun 24, 2009

DarkMan said:
Lore of light if cast you pick someone within 12'Inch and you can heal a wound on them may make duels last long good or bad for us.

Yeah, or you could use lore of Beasts and turn the general into a fire dragon with W8 T8 (T9 with accursed armour?), and just heal with ION. Good luck killing that, witch-hunters :D

I think the extra magic rules are a great addition. The lore of Shadows seems to open up a lot of possibilities with all the position-switching of characters. Have a wight king with 5+ killing blow in the middle of the battleline, just in case someone nasty wants to challenge the general he can be switched in instead.

artisturn

Grave Guard
Jun 30, 2009

Few tidbits from Warseer, these changes should give Spirit Host and Bat Swarms a nice boost .

WarSeer forum ] Monstrous Creatures * 40mm models moving to 3 model-wide ranks. Ogre sized models are officially being put into their own size category (finally). [/quote] [quote= said:
Stomp

* Monstrous Cavalry and Monstrous Infantry are granted 1 bonus attack with the "always strikes last" special rule, at base strength (includes Great Eagles and Disks). (edit. I believe only infantry and cavalry can be hit with these, nothing else.) This does not replace impact hits. 1 rank only.

And my favorite of all

[quote='WarSeer forum]
This does not apply to Monstrous Infantry, who are rumoured to fight with a maximum of 3 attacks per model from the second rank (more likely).
[/quote]

witchking1980

Black Knight
Nov 1, 2009
I have read somewhere that maybe the regeneration will roll back to the 6thE where you rolled your regeneration in the end of the battle so this will tone down the power of Varghulf.

Jun 24, 2009

artisturn said:
Few tidbits from Warseer, these changes should give Spirit Host and Bat Swarms a nice boost .

I hope they make spirit hosts usable, but I reckon they will differentiate between swarms and ogres. Just cos they're on the same base size, doesn't mean they'll get the same bonuses.

DarkMan

Zombie
Apr 19, 2010
Hate to burst the bubble about vargulfs but arn't the I2 so almost everything they charge will hit first with chance of slaying our pet.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu