1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

New AoS FAQs

Discussion in 'Understanding the Underworlds' started by Malisteen, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Malisteen

Malisteen Master Necromancer True Blood

A few notable changes:

1: The Ring of Immortality got nerfed to hell in matched play

IMO, our best relic is effecively dead.

2: Tomb Heralds' bodyguard ability restricted to Liche Priests and Mummies

This doesn't kill Heralds - in deathrattle lists their banner is still fantastic, but a herald buddy will no longer give our non-liche, non-mummy 5 wound heroes the added buffer needed to help them survive a round of sniper fire. In particularly, you can no longer use them to manage wounds on a vampire in order to get the most out of their blood chalice.

3: Merged zombie units must still respect max unit size in matched play
    This one sounds reasonable to me, and I already played this way.

Did anyone notice any other particularly relevant changes?

2. dongilles

dongilles Grave Guard

The ring one really sucks... I do not understand this change. Why would you ever use it now.

3. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

IKR. You could just use those points for more models...

4. Malisteen

Malisteen Master Necromancer True Blood

Yeah, it's pretty much worthless now. At least there's still the cursed book and the tomb blade.

5. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer Crypt Horror

The ring is absolutely insane decision. This is not a new unit this is an existing unit that gets 1D3 wounds back to try again.

Our local GW store immediately house ruled that decision to be invalid so we can still use the ring as usual in our local store. That's how stupid that decision is.

6. Irisado

Irisado Ancient Vampire Lord Staff Member True Blood

I am also baffled by the decision to make that ruling on the Ring of Immortality. I can only surmise that they wanted to stop making it such an attractive choice, but to go to the opposite extreme is a very bad piece of FAQ implementation. It's very disappointing.

Oppenheimer likes this.
  7. Infernal Skull

Infernal Skull Wight King

On the bright side, the ring ruling confirms that ANY rule that replaces a destroyed unit will require reserve points. So, if High Elf players expect to resurrect a phoenix, they will need to set aside 300 points out of their list but will only get to spend them 50% of the time!

Eat it, Phoenix Temple! :D

But the idea of setting aside full points on an item that will return the model with D3 wounds is absurd when you could just spend those points to have a SECOND, full strength character for the ENTIRE battle, and a different magic artifact. Or in the HE example, a second Phoenix for the whole game and no resurrection.

8. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

Hopes they will fix the ring, along with the summoning maybe, in General's Handbook 2.0

9. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Wight King

The only way i can see the ring still vaguely useful, is upon a low points (100) general, and just because it means that you still have the command ability and the general trait.
    But it's very situational.
    If only the cost was halved... to pay full points for a d3 wounds model makes no sense.

10. Zacharias

Zacharias Ghoul

I'm reading the FAQ to the generals handbook and can't find this information anywhere. Was going to give this ring to my mounted ghoul king but want to double check I can do it.

11. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

I think it's in the Death FAQ.

12. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Wight King

it's in the General's Handbook FAQ, version 1.1
    2nd page, the last Q&A magenta colored.

13. Zacharias

Zacharias Ghoul

Thanks, I was still working off 1.0. That does suck and changes my entire battle plan.

14. Infernal Skull

Infernal Skull Wight King

If you're looking at the FAQs, you need to go to the Warhammer Community site. I don't think the GW site Rules Errata page has the updated FAQ for the General's Handbook yet.

Oppenheimer likes this.