1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Our Undead pals over at tomb-kings.net have started a casual painting/modelling competition akin to our own "Turning the World to Darkness" challenges. If they are not enough to slake your thirst, you can find out more about Khemri's newest creation here: http://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/painting-challenge-on-khemri-forum.30854/#post-445673
  3. Big changes are coming to Age of Sigmar! Narrative battles, points and a Book! What does this mean for the Vampiric hordes?!
  4. The 9th Age, the fan made rules alternative, has had it's rules updated to version 1.3! What changes could this bring for our fellow vampires?

NEW AOS models

Discussion in 'Understanding the Underworlds' started by Alabaster427, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Menkeroth

Menkeroth A Knight of Blood

In this case yes, without a doubt - I was certain GW would start next with the skellies or ghosts, but I also think there are those more in need of re-release, like zombies or vampires. Well, this is only the beginning.
    Then AoS is not for you - it is high and not a low kind of fantasy, and many new miniatures show that GW intends to go this way, more DnD than Tolkien.

2. Borgnine

Borgnine Vampire Count True Blood

Mostly it isn't for me, unfortunately. I like how new GW interacts with people, how many side games they produce, I want to like AoS, but the aesthetics just don't fit me. Old WFB was much lower on the scale, maybe that shaped my tastes too. Now I'm just an old grognard reminiscing the old times ;)

Still, skellies like these fill me with hope. Maybe some factions will be much lower than others, that would be actually interesting. If they are all living in different, separate worlds, them looking different is perfectly logical. Freeguilds are also pretty low fantasy right now.

Oppenheimer likes this.
  3. Menkeroth

Jedem das Seine, but you still miss out the new setting a bit, also because most miniatures in AoS are also quite "realistic", certainly nothing like hyperbole in 40k ;)
    They are not - they are "standard" fantasy, so to speak. Low is like Game of Thrones, which really has nothing to do with fantasy. FB was based on Tolkien, that's just the generic fantasy without much tendency to the right and left - something in the middle. But the high nature of the "high" fantasy allows you to put practically anyone into it - savage lizards with clubs fit as good as steam- and teslapunk dwarves, so yes, one can use almost any miniature if he knows how to present them right.

4. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Grave Guard

I'm torned.

Plus side: It's Death! we needed something, even such a small thing is better than nothing
    Plus side: Its Deathrattle! I was hoping to have a boost for possible allegiances, other than FEC. And Deathrattle is a truly iconic army

Minus side: Skeletons. Yeah, they're good, but skellies infantry are not exactly a thing we lack of... I was hoping in something more? something different? A skeleton monster?

Oppenheimer and Malisteen like this.
  5. Malisteen

Malisteen Vampire Count True Blood

yeah, just going to echo the sentiments already listed. I really am glad to see something, anything, new for undead. Glad these guys look as good as they do, and I'll probably even buy some, if they come packaged separately from the box game.

But really? skeletons? and not even, like, skeleton monsters, or skeleton mages, or even skeleton archers, either, just... regular sword & board skeletons, plus a fightier, more armored, regular skeleton melee hero. Nothing that isn't covered plenty well, and in basically the exact same style, by the skeleton warrior, grave guard, and wight king kits that we already have.

So... yeah. Nice models, i do genuinely like them, but not really what I was looking for. Oh, well! At least people without a wight king BSB will have a decent model to convert from.

Hopefully this isn't all we get this year for new death models, but even if it is, that's still more than we got last year. Or the year before that.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Oppenheimer and Menkeroth like this.
  6. Malisteen

In addition to making a good conversion basis for a wight king BSB, the sepulchral guard boss, just as is, would make a good model for that skeleton-unit-champion-who-is-also-your-general that some death players like to field in order to bunker Ruler of the Night as safely as possible.

Menkeroth likes this.
  7. EternallyUndying

EternallyUndying Black Knight

I have multiple factions too; more than I would like to admit. More and more I consider selling off most of it and only focusing on my undead. I have Stormcast, Seraphon, Sylvaneth armies that I only started in impatience since there has been no new death. I really want to just sell off all these 'mistakes' and - if GW won't give me new death - then I will just not buy anything from them until they do.

I'm surprised no one mentioned some of the key wording of this new announcement;

"These are our best skeleton miniatures ever – every one of them is as dynamic and detailed as you could hope for, and these are clip-together models, needing no glue at all to assemble! Like all Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire models, you can be playing a game with these new skeletons mere moments after taking them out of the box."

"We know loads of you Death fans have been patient as the grave waiting for new miniatures since the Age of Sigmar began, and these guys don’t disappoint. The new models match the scale of our current Deathrattle range, and they’ll look just as great striding to battle in those vast legions as they will slaying interlopers in the cursed city of Shadespire."

First of all, snap together skeletons!? How is that even possible? Skeletons are the most fragile models I've ever made, lol.

So this is a very nice shout out to death players, that they acknowledge that we have had to wait a long time for new models. This at least proves they have not forgotten about us and are aware of the problem.

Its a big deal they these guys match the scale of skeletons, meaning that this release shows they are not suddenly going to invalidate what we have. They could also release stormcast-size deathrattle to ruin the scale of our existing stuff, or decide to release some kind of cartoon ghosts or kid-friendly zombies. This announcement means that we can expect new death releases to be the same kind of death that we all love.

When originally posted on War of Sigmar, Lady Atia also said this
    "We know loads of you Death fans have been patient as the grave waiting for reinforcements since the Age of Sigmar began, and we can confirm that rules to use these guys in your Warhammer Age of Sigmar games are on the way too. The new models match the scale of our current Deathrattle range, and they’ll look just as great striding to battle in those vast legions as they will slaying interlopers in the cursed city of Shadespire."

I don't know where this post is, but apparently these guys will get unique rules for AoS, not just be used as proxies, expanding what is available for deathrattle.

for the nay-sayers, for sure we all like to customize our skeletons;

skeletons_custom.jpg

But these have more than what just a simple kitbash can offer

[​IMG]
    notice the super-detailed boots, the complex cloak, the armor and belt buckle, the unique skull face. Notice how there is chain-link under his armor that shows through the holes and carries down below his waist. Notice the skeletal hand lifting a grave for him to stand on. This is a modern ultra-HQ model far beyond what you would expect from any kitbash.

We are getting something I never expected for 10+ years; a new kit of awesome skeletons - but instead of a replacement they will fit right in with everything we already have. We can mix them in with our skeletons/grave guard, kit bash them or possibly even just use them as some kind of new unit. I'm not going to belittle the need that death has for several model updates plus new rules and books, but this new announcement is a very, very good thing.

Menkeroth likes this.
  8. Malisteen

again, just for my part, i am not a nay sayer of the actual models. They look fantastic, their claim that these are the best skeleton models they've ever produced are absolutely justified, and the fact that they pulled that off with models that still will fit right in with the existing line so you won't feel at all odd fielding them together is great. No, they're not the unit/models that I felt and still feel the undead line in AoS needs, but that should not at all take away from how great they are in and of themselves.

EternallyUndying and Menkeroth like this.
  9. Menkeroth

From Tyler Mengel. Not bad!

Attached Files:

Malisteen likes this.
  10. EternallyUndying

EternallyUndying Black Knight

@Malisteen
    For sure, I'm not trying to call anybody out. Any concern you have in regards to death needing new books/rules/models I share for sure.

@Menkeroth
    Those dwarfs better be dead under that armor!!

11. Irisado

Irisado Crypt Horror

They look like bionic Squats. I'm not impressed. I preferred the Fantasy look.

12. Menkeroth

More like demiurgs, I'd say, but yes, stylistically they do resemble squats as those were the inspiration. And while these Kharadrons are so steam and teslapunky, they are just the idea development of some releases in 8th edition, like gyrocopters or Grimm Burloksson - not that new really. More generic fantasy dwarves are still present, so not that bad.