1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Our Undead pals over at tom-kings.net have started a casual painting/modelling competition akin to our own "Turning the World to Darkness" challenges. If they are not enough to slake your thirst, you can find out more about Khemri's newest creation here: http://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/painting-challenge-on-khemri-forum.30854/#post-445673
  3. Big changes are coming to Age of Sigmar! Narrative battles, points and a Book! What does this mean for the Vampiric hordes?!
  4. The 9th Age, the fan made rules alternative, has had it's rules updated to version 1.3! What changes could this bring for our fellow vampires?

New to Soulblight

Discussion in 'Soulblight Symposium' started by Kassill, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Kassill

Kassill Ghoul

So when AoS came out I like many shelved my minis and stepped away for a while.

Now that I have a new LGS in town and a friend that's interested in AoS, I'm re-looking Aos over and discovered the Soulblight.

How are Soulblight on the table? I've always fantasized about playing an entire "Vampire" army and this looks like fantasy come true.

Just wondering if you all have any tips or tricks for a newbie to AoS in general and Soulblight. I currently have
    1x Vampire Lord on Nightmare
    1x Coven Throne
    1x unit of Blood Knights (dragon princes)

What next should I get? I know I still need a few more BK kits, but wondering about vargheists, bats, and zombie dragon/abyssal terror's.

2. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

The only profit of creating a mono-soulblight army is to have Blood Knights as Battleline, so you will need 2-4 units of them.
    Aside from that, Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon is a real beast with the right command trait (he must be your general for maximum effect).

Also pay attention to named vampire characters from Compendium (aka old world) and vampire Mortarchs, they frequently have interesting and unique spells and abilities (Isabella can make an enemy monster punch himself, for example - bonus points for summoning a Balewind Vortex for her first)!

Kassill likes this.
  3. Kassill

Kassill Ghoul

To me that's more than enough profit. I <3 Blood Knights and cavalry in general. I just order 2 more units so I will have 3 total for now.

I also picked up some Vargheists and a friend gave me some old metal bat swarms he had still in the 17+ year old blister.

4. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

Btw, Vargheists hit good, but have poor surviveability. I think that they should fly around in small units - to be able to get cover bonus, to compensate their squishy nature somewhat. From cover, the can suddenly zap with great speed, to charge an enemy scoring an objective or something like that. On charge, they can potentially strike first, likely doing heavy damage. Don't expect them to live long after that.
    Remember that flying means they (and both kind of bats) can charge over units, to get behind meatshields/screens, or just try and kill a hero hiding behind battleline.

Kassill likes this.
  5. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Grave Guard

Just noticed the thread...

Cool and strong. Love them and the feeling of such an army.
    Good advices have been given; i would like to play a soulblight list but, as said, one of the main advantage is to field bloodknights as battleline, which I don't own... :(

Kassill likes this.
  6. Kassill

Kassill Ghoul

Good to hear! Yeah, the majority of my Death miniatures are skellies, zombies, ghouls with a few random things, but I figured I'd start a bit fresh for AoS, so I'm building this mostly from the ground up.