1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Next Step 40k

Discussion in 'Dead Space' started by VonRaetia, Nov 11, 2015.

1. VonRaetia

VonRaetia Zombie

A friend and I started playing AoS and whilst highly enjoyable and easy to get into the lack of balance has led to a bit of an arms race. We have therefore decided to give 40k ago (the rules don't seem as off putting now).

I have been toying with dark eldar as they look great but part of me loves the SM fiction and I think I will have to start with a SM chapter.

My list has been narrowed down to

Blood Angels successor Carmine Blades

Crimson Fists

White Scars

Maybe Carcaradons.

I am comfortable with the fluff and the colour schemes but what I am not comfortable on are the rules.

Can anyone help with the pro and cons of each chapter tactics and I don't really understand it all.

Currently bidding for rules and codex

2. Dark Lord Sariel

Dark Lord Sariel Zombie

Since three of the choices in your list are from the same codex (Codex:Space Marines), their differences are mostly in the chapter tactics and building the army unlike the Blood Angels who have a considerably different play style. I am going to assume you know the special rules or can at least look them up, if you have questions don't be afraid to ask.

Crimson Fists (who use the Imperial Fist chapter tactics) have bonuses for using bolter weapons (this is a re-roll of 1's to hit and includes Sternguard special ammunition), re-roll glance and pen on buildings and finally Devastators get the special rule Tank Hunters. This gives them improved ranged capability at the cost of melee combat. Not that they are horrible at it, they just don't have bonuses to it. Their melee is average for Space Marines.

White Scars gain Skilled Riders, +1 strength to Hammer of Wrath attacks and every unit (I believe) gains the Hit and Run special rule. Bikes are your bread and butter with his Chapter. Their bikes are more survivable and hit harder in melee combat, not to mention the ability to leave combat potentially setting your self up for another charge. No buffs to shooting, but army wide Hit and Run isn't something to be scoffed at. Not that Space Marines initiatives are amazing, but it can definitely help you against Necrons, or other lower initiative armies. Lighting Terminators slicing up Lychguard (a Necron elite unit) and leaving the combat before getting hit is hilarious in my opinion and devastating for the enemy. Everything in italics is wrong, thank you for the correction Heinrich. The tactical versatility of hit and run still speaks volumes allowing you to retreat from a fight to attack a better target or assault something to avoid enemy shooting for a turn.

Carcaradons (forgeworld) chapter tactics net you fear, the ability to exchange your bolter/bolt pistol on your tactical marines for a combat blade or buy a blade for an extra point and if you kill/force an enemy to fall back in close combat you gain rage, but must move to the closest enemy unit after combat. Fear is meh, due to half the armies having A. High leadership B. Ways to automatically pass moral tests or C. Immunity to fear. It is mostly situational in my opinion, things that you can scare tend to die fairly easy in close combat. The combat blade can be an interesting tactic, effectively giving your marines +1 attack! This can be surprisingly effective and can net you the advantage on SM verses SM battles. Rage is useful and being forced near an enemy is usually what you want to do regardless, so it isn't they big of a problem. A problem with this chapter is every Imperial faction treats you as a Desperate Ally instead of Battle Brothers. If you want to ally later on in 40k with other Imperials this is a big problem. Overall a melee oriented army.

Before I move to Blood Angels, I want you to know you can use any chapter tactics in Codex: Space Marines as your chapter tactics as long as special characters associated with their chapter aren't using different tactics (Ultramarine Librarian Tigurius cannot suddenly use the chapter tactics of the Iron Hands).

The Blood Angels are a completely different codex then Codex: Space Marines so they have different Warlord Traits, Relics, Units, etc (including Psychic Powers). Blood Angels are very aggressive, they get in the enemies face and their chapter tactics and Wargear represent that. The army gets Furious Charge and The Red Thirst (+1 initiative to organized charges) which helps their melee combat capability considerably. They have units that specifically buff melee units and (if built well) can generally rip most things up in combat. Vehicles are built with speed and/or close combat in mind and are very interesting. With more access to flamers and jump packs compared to regular Space Marines they are a spearhead to be reckoned with. The biggest weakness this army faces is a lack of formations and units from Codex: Space Marines and their relics are lackluster compared to some other armies. They have no Decurion style formation and due to the rules they gain from their tactics their combat prowess falls off after the first round. Long strung-out melee battles are a problem for this army.

Lore wise don't be afraid to try to homebrew some of your own fluff and make a whole new chapter based off one of these chapters founding gene seed. It is a rewarding experience and can be really cool if done well. Lastly Dark Elder although harder to play due to some armies being able to go through your only defense *cough* *cough* tau and being a glass cannon, they are really fun to play once you know what your doing and are a great challenge. My favorite 40k army in my opinion.

Anyways hope this helped :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  3. VonRaetia

VonRaetia Zombie

@Dark Lord Sariel thanks very much for your response it is much appreciated. I have narrowed it down to Dark Eldar or a SM chapter of my own devising. Your comments where very helpful and your comment about the DE being difficult to play certainly appeals to me.

4. Dragonet

Dragonet Wight King

I have a crusading force of Terminators having got a bit carried away with Space Hulk. I picked first founding chapters with plenty of established fluff and awesome models, as this collection was very model driven, and when I have the codices I'll play with whichever rules I fancy, and just declare the commanding officer to be of the chapter I choose. That way I can have fun with maximum options and enjoy all the best models.

5. Dark Lord Sariel

Dark Lord Sariel Zombie

Glad it helped, I'm glad the Dark Eldar's challenging gameplay doesn't scare you off. One of the most beautiful and tactically interesting forces out their in my opinion. Yet, so rarely played which is a shame. Oh and Dark Eldar bits = Conversions for Vampire Counts.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  6. Heinrich The Lichmaster

Heinrich The Lichmaster Zombie

Lighting Terminators slicing up Lychguard (a Necron elite unit) and leaving the combat before getting hit is hilarious in my opinion and devastating for the enemy.

I believe your playing hit and run wrong there mate, it would be amazing if it was like this, harlequins might actually survive better.
    Its stated that hit and run is done at the END of any assualt phase, that means all initiative fight steps must be completed down to I1 before its done, it simply implys that you can do this during your opponents turn after combat, not at any step in the assault phase.

Otherwise some sounds advice on armies really

Dark Lord Sariel likes this.