• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cela Shyish

Grave Guard
Dec 14, 2012
So my brother just showed me a video of someone who set his roughly £700 army on fire in protest to Age of Sigmar, so putting aside the carcinogens produced from melting plastic this is still obviously a stupid idea. First its very disrespectful to the models, I mean who could do that to models they have put so much time into building, painting and playing with :\ maybe its just me, but still even if he doesn't care about sentiment, they are still a lot of money and he could have still played 8th, held onto them or sold them. I don't get what he was trying to do.

Anyway sorry for my lil rant, it just bugged me and I just wanted to say that I hope no one on here has been that stupid and over the top in their reactions to age of sigmar. I admit I was concerned at first but after trying it I actually prefer it to warhammer 8th so please please please at least give it a try and if you MUST get rid of your army, don't destroy it, that hurts my heart to see.

Reactions: Zephyr and Dragonet

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
I don't think he will regret it. I like age of sigmar well enough, but there's reasons why many long term fantasy players are feeling betrayed by this. Some times you've just got to burn your bridges.

Also, you can't disrespect inanimate objects. They're not people. You can disrespect people by defacing symbols of things they care about, but I don't think anybody needs to get bent out of shape by somebody else destroying their own personal collection of toy soldiers. I agree it's an over-reaction, but so be it.

Dragonet

Wight King
Feb 3, 2015
Bromley
I commented on this video a couple of hours ago, and I admit I was a little tongue-in-cheek. The time and effort he disrespects were his own, as were the models; he's disrespected his own hobby. That's a natural if extreme reaction to regret over the time and money he's spent on Warhammer, and hurt over GW's perceived betrayal of his loyalty.

I think we need to have some compassion for those of us who love this hobby and may feel more deeply about the changes than we can imagine. The monetary cost alone was £700; you can buy an old car for that in England. This isn't just a game, if it were we'd never have bothered with it.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Sadly, comments seem to have been disabled. With this sort of 'burning bridges' video, they probably should not have been allowed to begin with, though. I mean, the entire point is that you're putting it behind you once and for all, you don't want to be discussing it after that.

Reactions: Dragonet
Feb 8, 2009
Truth me told I consider this guy a massive idiot for doing so. With the total value of that he could just as well have burned his own car. It is totally in his right to do, but it is such a waste it bothers me to watch.

I do not get why some people are so obsessed with the idea that a game must be current to be playable. If you really want to play an older edition of fantasy, go ahead and do so.

Atrophus

Grave Guard
Feb 14, 2014
I've watched the video, I must say the complete bloody mindedness and cutting their own nose off to spite their face, is completely fitting of a druchii ;)

theknightofjello

Skeleton
Jul 12, 2013
Fun Story... I've played against that guy and his army. He was a lot of fun to play against. In fact I played against most of the people on that channel. I moved away before AoS dropped.
Is it an over reaction? Yes it is but he feels betrayed by GW as most of the people I've talked to do and I don't think he's wrong for feeling that

LordTobiothan

Crypt Horror
May 6, 2014
Your guy's reactions are exactly why there are disclaimers at the start of the video.

Also if the guy has no monetary concerns and simply refuses to support GW in any way, i dont see how this is an overreaction. Doesn't hurt him, shouldn't hurt us.

Majrenob

Zombie
Jul 17, 2014
I've watched Lord Temendous's Battle Reports for awhile. I though Death Holy Death was a VC player?

In the end though, I thought the whole thing was kind of a beautiful statement. We invest so much time, effort and emotion building, painting and pushing around little plastic guys. During the course of the hobby and the games these little plastic guys turn into more, they gain a power. I know that when I push in one of my Blender lords I smile because it is an awesome model and it's gonna wreck face.

What DHD is showing us here (maybe/my interpretation, I don't know the dude) is that the power and attachment to a Blender Lord, or a group of Brolocks or whatever is not inherent in the model. After all in the end its just a piece of plastic that melts and burns. It's in the game and the rules and the community.

If you share his perception about GW and AOS, and you feel that power has been taken away. Then you don't have your Blender anymore, all you're left with is plastic.

Reactions: Zephyr and Dragonet

Dragonet

Wight King
Feb 3, 2015
Bromley
Very true! Again I would say it could be seen as being a strong Zen statement, and even an exemplary stand against GW. I'm just too pragmatic to go through with that. I can't remember where I heard this old Afghan proverb (probably some film) but it changed my outlook on things like this: "The best revenge is to live well." My lovely 8th Edition collection will be my protest.

theknightofjello

Skeleton
Jul 12, 2013
You know now that 8th is "dead" I'm probably going to take the time to collect the entire range. I like the painting aspect and if my friends want to play warhammer I'll have every army choice for them to choose from. Why let the end really be the end? If this game is done we can say whatever we want towards the future. My friend and I are tweaking rules for the game as we play

DHD did play VC but his first true love is DE. I played DnD with him and he just oozes the soul of the Dark Elf. I miss those guys

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
May 17, 2010
Timaru
Meh personally I view people who make rant vids as pathetic attention seekers than some noble justice seeker making a stand but that's just my narrow opinion. They were his models so he is entitled to do what he wants even if it is a waste , though I had to laugh at some of his rants as it was quite funny

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
I've watched Lord Temendous's Battle Reports for awhile. I though Death Holy Death was a VC player?

DHD went through a couple armies, although Dark Elves were always his primary. He did try out VC leaning Undead Legions for a while during the end times, before eventually returning to the Khainites.

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Mar 3, 2008
Rotterdam
It's his army but I personally hate waste. People throwing out food or wrecking stuff are horrible IMO.
I'm just as pissed but I simply kept my VC and DE and sold off my smaller 1.5K armies or those I felt were taking up too much space for a now unsupported game system(officially at least).

Reactions: Count michael

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
Dec 23, 2012
Oregon
The thing is, as the haters continue to refuse to play Age of Sigmar, those of us who are open minded are giving it a fair shot and discovering the game has a lot to it. I just posted a video about Age of Sigmar's tactics: https://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/real-tactics-in-age-of-sigmar.29420/

Setting an army on fire is WAY over reacting. Before people write off GW and Age of Sigmar, maybe you should try Age of Sigmar. So far its tactics I'm finding are deeper.

Reactions: Count michael

Dakaar

Zombie
Jan 14, 2013
It depends why someone doesnt like it. There are several things it can be disliked for that playing wont change no matter what.

Setting/fluff, no ranked combat, individual skirmishing movement, aesthetics, model to model measurement, base overlapping, summoning, lack of tactical movement (no bonus for flanks/rear), lack of balance, shooting into combat/out of combat, joke rules gw placed on existing armies to scorn their playerbase (wether used or not that scorn is still shown), price £30 for 5 figures! so much for lowering entry price for anything but the starter box

Even if it was a masterpiece of depth and tactics, none of the above would change.

Then added to that the fact there are games that DONT have these issues, so why play one that does (if thats why you dislike it)

Last edited:

KillerK

Zombie
Mar 9, 2011
Have you tried the game? I have, he is 100% right.

Why the game is so terrible, because its the only viable tactic is, Pay to win, you buy enough elite models, you opponent has no chance what so ever to win.

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
Dec 23, 2012
Oregon
It depends why someone doesnt like it. There are several things it can be disliked for that playing wont change no matter what.

Setting/fluff, no ranked combat, individual skirmishing movement, aesthetics, model to model measurement, base overlapping, summoning, lack of tactical movement (no bonus for flanks/rear), lack of balance, shooting into combat/out of combat, joke rules gw placed on existing armies to scorn their playerbase (wether used or not that scorn is still shown), price £30 for 5 figures! so much for lowering entry price for anything but the starter box

Even if it was a masterpiece of depth and tactics, none of the above would change.

Actually the setting and fluff is the logical progression of the lore. Sigmar is a warp power, his Stormcast are his champions/daemons, the lizardmen are ascended by their ties to the old ones, great horned rat has evolved fully into a chaos power, nagash became god over the realm of death, while Ariellea is the godess of life. The winds of magic are stronger and freed, becoming realms within the warp. The worlds pulled into the warp by the old ones are mortal worlds within the warp, each sharing common traits like the old world. So, Age of Sigmar is based on 30 years of Warhammer history, its actually all rooted in its progression, myth and the stories and characters we all love.

Other points, the skirmish movement is only part of it, it also allows custom formations and movement that is actually more advanced, realistic and tactical than Warhammer 8th. Shooting rules actually reflect real war. Longbowmen were deadlier up close and units armed with range weapons use their weapons when engaged.

The "joke" rules are mixed. Some hate them and others love them. I don't think they are out of scorn, they are meant to make the game light hearted and tied to some of the humor of older Warhammer editions.

Summoning and other balance issue are still being understood. We don't know what is broken yet. The units interact much differently, are over all deadlier and the movement is faster. This means within the week the game has been out, players barely understand the basics and there entire game is overhauled. So, with out playing, it's entirely impossible for any of the naysayers to critize the depth of the game. There is to many moving pieces, relations between units, hidden tactics and synergies within armies for anyone to be able to declare the game is "terrible".

This leaves the only issues with validity at this point the bases/measuring to models and it not being 8th edition. My answer to that, don't be or play with people who will abuse the bases/model rule and if you have no interest in giving Age of Sigmar a fair shot, then play 8th.

Quinten

Grave Guard
Jul 17, 2014
Man he could have used all those models in KoW. :(

On a more serious note that is a massive overreaction. If you can't handle a board game being discontinued then what would happen when you were faced with a real problem in life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu