1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Posting pics

Discussion in 'The Dead Shall Walk......' started by Wolf Fang, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Wolf Fang

Wolf Fang Vampire Count True Blood

EDIT: This is not a discussion thread. It is for links or posting picture advice only. Any off topic posts will be deleted - Disciple of Nagash - CN Admin

Thought this was essential content. :D

Posting pics (with thanks to Kebabi)
    First you need to upload them on the web.
    Do that by going to www.photobucket.com (or similiar sites, like imageshack. I myself prefer photobucket).
    Get an account (free, of course ).
    Once logged in you just browse to find the image you want on your computor and then press "upload".

Then, to copy it onto the forum, you "ctrl"+"c" the link under the thumbnail which begins with "" and you paste it ("ctrl"+"v") onto your post here

Of course, if you want to post a picture of a pic that's already on the web you right click the image and select the alternative furthest down ("properties", I belive it's called) and copy the adress, then paste it in your post with [img]-tags before and after it, as such:

2. Master Vampire

Master Vampire Master Necromancer True Blood

Yeah this is a good one.

If you have any issues regarding blurry or unfocused pictures, it's because the photo camera is not used to taking pictures of small miniatures. You'll have to put the 'Makro' function on, which is commonly shown as a tulip on the camera. If you can't find it, check your camera's supplied booklet. I think every camera nowadays has a makro function.

Also, I prefer Photobucket. This is because Imageshack tends to have a maximum traffic limit, which means your pictures can't be viewed anymore when it's pretty popular (which is bad). I never have seen that issue with Photobucket this far.

3. Avaris

Avaris Black Knight

Seeing as this is a thread for tips, I'll throw mine in.

To get good pics of models, get a tripod. Borrow, buy, whatever just get one. Failing that find a stable surface to put the camera on when taking a pic, as when using the macro function even a slight movement (such as is caused by pressing the button) will result in blurred images. A tripod allows you to set up a picture exactly as you want without the camera moving at all, and I find it really helps. You could probably get equivilent results without it if you hold it steady, but I prefer it this way.

4. Zuckuss

Zuckuss Zombie

My tip for photos is lighting. If your going to do a wonderful paint job on a model the last thing you want is it to look bad in the photo. Number one rule is TURN OFF YOUR FLASH! If possible get natural lighting, preferably on the side of your model. So taking a picture sideways on to a light window you will get the best exposure.

If you want to get really arty, take the bendy lamp that you probably use for painting and depending on the wattage place it a few feet away to the same side as the window but over your shoulder so it shines down over you head. Put a nice background behind it (an old plain sheet will do in a push) and instant nice photos. I'll post a couple as an example in the next few days.

Zuckuss

5. The Inspector

The Inspector Vargheist

http://www.joby.com/
    I picked up a Joby 'Gorillapod' a while ago, and the thing is great. Just check the website out.

Just a bit of general advice: if you are picking up a tripod, for god sake please make sure that it can support your camera weight! It only really matters for the massive professional cameras, but some of the old bricks can be pretty heavy also.

6. SethDrallitoc

SethDrallitoc Necromancer

Another thing that I can't believe no one has mentioned.

Use your cameras countdown timer. Particularly when taking macro shots. Wether you are using a tripod, a stack of books or even your hands (steady as rocks after years of painting miniature details) not having to push that button yourself will make sure you get the best shot possible.

7. chris_havoc

chris_havoc Vampire Count True Blood

What colour surface works best? Or is that depending on the colour of the models?

8. Josef

Josef Master Necromancer True Blood

my tip is b4 you upload the pics if you use photoshop to edit them

1st sharpen edges
    2nd use your auto level

then upload them

9. chris_havoc

chris_havoc Vampire Count True Blood

OK thanks. I don't have photoshop but I'm sure fireworks will work.

10. Josef

I have photoshop so I dont know any other program =\ sry that I could not help more I know windows vista has a good cropper in its pic viewer.

11. Josef

This will help with taking pics.

http://tabstudio.wordpress.com/2007/07/31/taking-miniature-photos-on-a-black-background/

12. Disciple of Nagash

Disciple of Nagash The Perverted One Staff Member TVC II GM

Copy of thread posted in this forum for help in those creating Painting logs.

Useful Tip: To resize your pictures if they are too large use this free re-sizing website: Shrink Pictures

13. Annie

Annie Grave Guard

Take the pictures outside if you can they will look so much more awesome.

14. Von

Von Vampire Count True Blood

I favour a plain white background for anything where I'm showcasing the paintjob. It can be as simple as a folded piece of white paper behind the miniature, or as complex as a full lightbox (a wooden cubic frame with five sides covered in thin white fabric - the idea is that it provides the appropriate background colour and also diffuses any artificial lighting you're using, making the shadows and colour alterations less harsh). Personally, I find the lightbox a bit excessive; natural light and a white background have always done the job for me.

15. Annie

Annie Grave Guard

You can make your own infinity curve just with a large sheet of white paper, stick it to the top of the wall/chair/vertical axis and just let it fall slowly flat, then when you photo you have a plain white background, huzzah!

a bit like that http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vc6_V1RCf-U/SkwRHLL0pqI/AAAAAAAAAUI/Gr5m7433HiQ/s320/100_2632.JPG

16. pointyteeth

pointyteeth Zombie

Well, since we're all sharing tips I'll refer you to this article: The GIMP. This is a great article on getting your pics optimised. Helped me quite a bit.

17. Malisteen

Malisteen Vampire Count True Blood

useful tip: don't use photobucket. I've gotten some nasty viruses from that site. :mad2:

18. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

Is there any way the site could be altered so we can upload photos directly from our computer or camera? Photobucket can be a real pain for me with upload speeds of 2-5 KB/s most of the time??? It takes forever! :swear:

19. Daoshi

Daoshi Grave Guard

By Santawraith's request:

Recently I have been reading about how people have been having issues when taking photos and I just wanted to demonstrate the difference of lighting and backgrounds on a bare bones model. This way you can pay attention to the background and how it changes for the better or worse.

All photos were taken with my camera phone as I do not have access to anything remotely professional.

adb_tt_ApnfHTHx_.jpg

adb_tt_YjNqfgXW_.jpg

adb_tt_hSTFxsql_.jpg

adb_tt_WBzEOdRF_.jpg

As you can see there can be quite the difference depending on the shadows, warm/cool/neutral background and warm/cool light source. The photos above are straight from my camera. The photos below have been edited in photoshop with auto levels. The first photo is straight from my camera as a comparison.

adb_tt_ApnfHTHx_.jpg
    adb_tt_JODjBESZ_.jpg

adb_tt_YjNqfgXW_.jpg
    adb_tt_cNmj1cSM_.jpg

adb_tt_hSTFxsql_.jpg
    adb_tt_Hkt9BZHp_.jpg

adb_tt_WBzEOdRF_.jpg
    adb_tt_SI4Ay02a_.jpg

The pictures below have had their tone/colour and levels modified.

adb_tt_ApnfHTHx_.jpg
    adb_tt_R0sn4Tpa_.jpg

adb_tt_YjNqfgXW_.jpg
    adb_tt_wD4QBngk_.jpg

adb_tt_hSTFxsql_.jpg
    adb_tt_xAUWiEFx_.jpg

adb_tt_WBzEOdRF_.jpg
    adb_tt_k426clgg_.jpg

As you can see the neutral background with the cold light doesn't change much at all when edited out the wazoo. The warm background fluctuates wildly. Just by hitting Auto Levels/ Correct does not mean that it will come out how it should and can either improve or make your photos worse. Only you will know how close it is to its original state. People will manually go in and adjust the levels until it is close to the original state.

If anyone has issues like I do when taking photos, PS5 was available to me, but a program such as GIMP or Irfanview can do the job just as well when it comes to correcting these things.

It is entirely up to you if you want to experiment with this, I just thought I might provide some information that I have read online about how painters on CMON take their photos. :thumbsup:

20. Johnny-Crass

Johnny-Crass Moderator Staff Member True Blood

I upload all my pictures through Dakka Dakkas gallery.

21. haggolen

haggolen Zombie

Howdy, I'm new to your forums but love them so far. I'm a huge fan of the Vampire Counts and have an army of my own of them. I'm looking to get into selling my painted miniatures and was curious if there is anywhere on these forums when I could try to get my models out to your members? I wanted to check before I just went ahead and did it. Anyways thanks for your time!

22. Ol'timer

Ol'timer Skeleton

SO, at this time is photobucket still the best way to upload photos, or are we safe uploading a certain sized photo. Finally trying to get some of my army posted. Thanks

23. der vued

der vued Ghoul

i created a photobucket account just to post pics here just a few weeks ago and so far I'm pretty happy with that. so +1 for photobucket. :thumbsup: