1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Probably a tiny bit late... Still, better than never!

Discussion in 'Fresh Blood' started by DrugDeatox, Aug 6, 2016.

1. DrugDeatox

DrugDeatox Zombie

Greetings everyone!

I somewhat recently turned 23 and after years and years of decision making I finally decided to start playing WHFB.

Have never ever built or painted any armies or minis proper, except maybe when I was smaller I had a set of undead legionaires that I brought from Russia and those turned out... well no well...

To my eternal sadness it seems that the glorious old days of classic Warhammer Fantasy are gone and instead there is Age of Sigmar now.

Since I have absolutely no experience with actual wargaming, and I finally I decided to actually start collecting the wonderful army of Vampire counts, which is probably the main reason I come to you brothers and sisters - I am in grave need of advice and guidance, beside me watching battle-reports and reading the lore I know absolutely nothing about the game mechanics, army building, unit painting, conversions and the list goes on and on and on.

The greatest dilemma is whether there still is point in starting to get into WHFB/9th Age along with my dear girlfriend who wishes to collect one of the three variantions of the pointy eared basterds called elves.

Glad to have found this place, hoping to find a lot of cool ideas, advices and possibly new acquaintance or friends here!

2. Count Berenthor

Count Berenthor Zombie

Hello mate,
    Good to see the darkness as taken you also!
    I found a lot of my lists from mini wargaming (type it into YouTube and watch the battle reports).

I've been playing WFB8th edition for a fair while, so I can answer on that (a fair few of us still do) but I avoided AoS like a bad dream!

What did you want to know?
    Cheers.

Dragonet likes this.
  3. Dragonet

Dragonet Wight King

Hi Drug Deatox! I'm a long time fan of Fantasy, I play 8th and Kings Of War; I've tried AoS and will likely persevere with it on square bases.

There's a lot of excitement for 9th Age, though not locally for me, I don't really play outside my local groups anyway, and I clearly love regiment play and big armies, but I can see a general shift away from this towards skirmish level games, it's just so costly in time and money terms to collect hundreds of models. I reckon I have easily 600 models built and playable, possibly up to 1000 in total in my undead legion, and that's not exceptional.

I would strongly recommend having a chat with the guys at your local gaming store and having them take you and your girlfriend through a demo game, Elves vs Vampires; GW might not run an 8th Edition game for you though. If you book up a date I'm sure someone will be happy to organise it for you, either one of the workers or one of he regulars or fanatics; back in Bromley there's tons of guys keen to run demos for all sorts of games: Infinity, Dropzone Commander; Bushido; X Wing; 40k, Kings Of War; Malifaux...

For collecting, the cheapest method is to grab someone else's off eBay but they can end up as a rescue mission if they're badly painted or glued. I'd honestly recommend the Start Collecting boxes for both of you as they're a reasonable sized starter with a variety of troop options, all in plastic which is easy to work. Again consider eBay if you've not got a local store that offers discounts, you can reliably get 20% off GW's retail prices in the UK just about anywhere.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  4. DrugDeatox

DrugDeatox Zombie

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Me and my girlfriend agreed on trying not to watch any actual army lists and build our own in order to keep it fair :D

We agreed on getting 1000 point armies for now, I can throw some lists that I made up if you guys want, constructive critique is always good.

Still we will play for leisure I don't plan on playing tournaments or anything.

I personally will avoid AoS unless they come up with some half-decent lore, Sigmarines just won't cut it.
    I listened to your advice and asked our local friends to show us or rather my girlfriend a demo game of Warhammer 40k, so she has at least a rough idea how the game works and flows.

Sadly no one plays WHFB or AoS in our store, from what I have seen the most prominent system is 40k, bolt action and x-wing. But 40k demo game should do, sadly no vampires there : <<<
    I personally am torn between the cold pure awesomeness that are Vampire Counts and goofy silliness that are Orcs and Goblins, but I will sooner or later end up collecting both.

Is AoS any good with the release of the new General's Handbook and matched battles?

Also, I noticed that GW zombie models are a bit lackluster to say the least I found an alternative in Mantic Games KoW zombies, am I alone in this or?

And last question for now - Do you think GW will bring Fantasy back, with the release of Total War Warhammer, I think it might get more love from the wider audience.

Dragonet likes this.
  5. Count Berenthor

Count Berenthor Zombie

Hey DrugDetox,
    I've had a flick through the General's Handbook and it's all a bit useless for me.
    Sort of a last ditch attempt to pacify 8th edition players once they realised who they had annoyed!
    That is a very bias view mind you!

Good job on the lists and keeping it fair! I'm in the midst of building my army as well (only new) so would be interesting to see how yours go. I also know some people build in relation to the fluff (ie. Von Carstein bloodline etc).

Absolutely agree on Zombies from Mantic Games. I only really play amongst a group of friends as well, but I don't reckon I could field the GW Zombies, they just look out of proportion so will go the same as you with mantic.

In relation to your last question.............I truly hope so!

Dragonet likes this.
  6. DrugDeatox

DrugDeatox Zombie

Alright, writing down a note - AoS still not gud enuff :D To me it just feels like 40k without 40k.

I could write the lists I came up with down if you wish. The fluff inspired builds sound appealing but for that my girlfriend would need to know anything about the fluff in the first place :D

She still has some catching up to do in warhammer lore in general tho I think she might like it be it fantasy or 40k.

Right now pretty much waiting which system she is going to pick and which faction, according to that I will see which army comes first - 40k or fantasy.

Also saw some pretty neat models at Avatars of War website for the 9th Age, and since we're at it - Any experience with the 9th Age? I heard that it balanced the game but at the same time it kinda made all factions bland.

Dragonet likes this.
  7. Farmer7574

Farmer7574 Vampire Count True Blood

@DrugDeatox Welcome to the forums!

Regarding zombies, not at all - lots of players use alternatives for different reasons. I'm a big fan of most of GW's VC minis but opted for Mantic's zombies too as I prefer the appearance of them to GW's.

As for your army list, you can post it in the 'Legions of the Damned' sub forum and have it looked at by other CN members.

Dragonet likes this.
  8. Count Berenthor

Count Berenthor Zombie

Not much knowledge on 9th age to be honest. I quite liked 8th so have just sort of stuck with it.
    Agree with the zombies change though, I'm not using GW. But all other models I'm happy with.

Dragonet likes this.