1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Quick 'n' Dirty Lamellar Armour Sculpting Tutorial

Discussion in 'Dying to Help' started by Karak Norn Clansman, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Karak Norn Clansman

Karak Norn Clansman Zombie

Made upon request over on Warhammer Empire. I've not sculpted lamellar before, and have no showcase miniature to accompany the tutorial, so this was made up on the spot. Better results are probably achieved by taking it in steps and waiting for one stage to dry before continuing to next, but this tutorial is quick 'n' dirty. Hopefully it's of some use to someone somewhere:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More Reference

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  2. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

You are awesome, posting those tutorials. They look simple enough and the effects are really, really cool! I will definitely use the scalemail one - and I'll have to try this one on some zombies :)

Theerteen likes this.
  3. Theerteen

Theerteen Cheerful Cranium True Blood

Yep, I can only second this. Armour will work for my ttwtd entry. Had to save every single one of them so far, I hope to try them asap. Thanks mate!

4. Karak Norn Clansman

My pleasure, nice to hear they're of use to you! There is also one anatomical tutorial which you cannot see on this site. Got warned for it. Bah, if you can see it, you can sculpt it! :cool:

5. Theerteen

Saw it, not quite sure where to use it xD

6. Karak Norn Clansman

One Swedish Undead army I saw on a tournament some years ago sported a number of naked zombies in its ranks. But that might just be Sweden.

Theerteen likes this.
  7. Theerteen

That's disturbingly interesting

8. Karak Norn Clansman

Well, another Swedish creation on this aspect is the Kuthuvud of Skintaxmountain, owned by a friend of mine, or the Swede (Gothenburger) tjub's Nurgle Blood Bowl team. The mentioned tutorial was also created upon the request of another Swede.

Can you guess what the shape of our majstänger (literally May poles, but rather Midsummer poles given the time of year) shall symbolize? The cross part was added for decency's sake with the new religion, but otherwise it's all earthier than that. Seeding mother Earth. Savage backwater, up in the frigid north!

Theerteen likes this.
  9. Theerteen

@Karak Norn Clansman
    Hehe, yeah I heard about the phallic resemblance of may poles, must be one reason why I like to raise them :D
    Any chance you have one for chainmail and/or cloak? I have a skeleton torso with that oooold breastplate attachment on the front, which I want to give either a chainmail or something smiliar, and a cloak / cape that's lying on his back. Any idea?

10. Karak Norn Clansman

I could make a tutorial for both chainmail and cloaks if you wish, though for these particular things there already exist a number out there (I'm trying to fill empty niches to complement what's already been covered by others). Check them out and see if they're of any help.

Chainmail Sculpting

Tutorial
    Video

Cloak Sculpting

From the Warp Tutorial
    CDO Tutorial
    Video

You might find that a set of these sculpting styluses will come in handy for a lot of things, including chainmail. You can do chainmail with needles or ordinary sculpting tool point, but you get a better result with the tiniest sculpting stylus with a ball point end.

Likewise, people repeatedly praise clay shapers for giving smooth surfaces, not least to billowing cloaks and suchlike. I've sculpted cloaks without clay shapers all these years, and the smoothing out do take time. Bought a set that's en route now.

For further sculpting tutorials, also check out Scibor's site. Helpful tutorials, and an inspiration behind this quick 'n' dirty series.

11. Theerteen

Oh that's friggin awesome, thanks man!