1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Suggestion Remove rule

Discussion in 'Wisdom of the Master' started by Oppenheimer, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer Crypt Horror

What is the purpose of this rule? As long as the new post adds to a discussion isn't it better than starting a post on a brand new topic and cluttering up the search?

I recommend removing this rule as it's old fashioned and we are trying to keep membership up.

2. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Black Knight

Yeah, the rule is old and was written in a period with a different traffic on the forum(s)... but is that an issue?
    After all, the rules say that a topic that is still currently valid (even if older than 6 months) can be resurrected, as long as the post that raises the thread is meaningful.

3. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

I guess it's a matter of preference whether one wants few big megathreads going on for years, or many, many smaller threads which are much more temporal. Both can be cumbersome to browse in their own ways. DoN made the rules with his preferences in mind and I think we should honour that.

4. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer Crypt Horror

I did just add to a very old thread and had the thread locked on me so I guess not?

5. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Black Knight

Then i see your concern.
    I was reasoning by theory, it never occurred to me.

6. Irisado

Irisado Ancient Vampire Lord Staff Member True Blood

I'll answer here, rather than by PM, since this has become a public topic.

The thread necromancy rule here is pretty liberal, especially compared to other forums where I moderate, but it is necessary. This is because bringing old topics back to the first page of any board is discourteous to those who have started newer topics. In addition, and more significant to this forum in view of traffic levels, older topics are, in most cases, no longer sufficiently relevant to the ever changing environment of wargaming and can often be completely irrelevant when the rules have changed. This is why all forums where I moderate have a policy against thread necromancy.

It is, in the light of this, far better to start a new topic, rather than to raise an old one, except in the exceptional cases outlined in the forum rules.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017