1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Round Reaper hollers Hello

Discussion in 'Fresh Blood' started by Round Reaper, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Round Reaper

Round Reaper Zombie

Greetings, gents. Just wanted to introduce myself. Found this forum while searching for army list advice. Been excited these days to work on a Death-themed chess set using Age of Sigmar minis, and thought I might expand into a small army after the Chess set is complete. Thanks for reading and thanks for the great forum!

Menkeroth likes this.
  2. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

Greetings and welcome to the forum. What are you using as the pieces? Chances are that by the time you finish your chess set, you'll have a small Undead army. Are you making both sides death themed or just one?

3. Round Reaper

Round Reaper Zombie

Hi and thanks, Alabaster!
    The chess set will be a winter Death theme vs a summer Wood Elves theme. The chess board will be checkerboard dead stone and grave markers, and green grass with mossy menhirs/standing stones and branches. Going for a very dichotomous board design!

The undead pieces I'm thinking so far (and I own) are Skeletons as Pawns, Black Knights for Knights, Spirit Hosts (around gravestones) as Rooks, a Cairn Wraith and Tomb Banshee as Bishops (they will be painted similarly in a semi-ghostly fashion to tie them together), a Wight King as the Queen/Wazir/Right-hand Man, and the Necromancer as King. I might use Neferata or a Coven Throne vampire as the Queen, depending on how they will sit on the bases.

I plan on making the chess bases a magnetic addition to the standard GW bases, so the chess bases can be removed if I play a game of AoS or Frostgrave sometime.

4. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

I think skeletons are good as pawns. They are nice and uniform.

If you don't mind suggestions, Zombies are much easier to customize and can be a lot more fun; Grave guard would also be cool. I think wight kings/cairn wraiths/Ushabti would make better rooks and necromancers better bishops. I would either use a Tomb banshee or female vampire as the queen and either Krell or a male vampire as the king.

If you don't have the Wood Elves yet, Kurnoth Hunters or Treekin would be good rooks. Dryads or Glade guard as pawns. Sisters of the Thorn as knights, Spellweaver as the queen; maybe shadowdancers as the bishops. If you have Orion, he would be the best king, but a Waywatcher would also work.

Again, these are just suggestions. You make it however you like.

5. Round Reaper

Round Reaper Zombie

Thanks for the suggestions! I have been going back and forth on the Death side of things as to how to assign the pieces. Part of me likes the idea of the Necromancer as king because you can imagine the rest of the army falling apart or coming unbound without him. But then vampires don't really work like that, and I do like the Bishops idea of the "saints" of undeath being necromancers. The allure of a female vampire as the kick-butt Queen is very strong as well.

Unsure what the Wight King would be used for now, but I like the model anyway.

I may have to use Mannfred from the Abyssal Terror kit i have as the King (though I don't like the bare arms look he has, another vampire in plastic would be more welcome - maybe the one with the zombie dragon?)

I like the idea of the Spirit Hosts as rooks mostly because they can be coming out of some architecture, and since a Rook looks like a piece of architecture...

Your thoughts on the Wood Elves side of the set are pretty exact to mine. I think i might have to go with the Waywatcher, though I also like that plastic Prince with the hawk, and he could double in for Warhammer Quest use as well.