1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Round Reaper says Salutations and Asks for Aid

Discussion in 'Understanding the Underworlds' started by Round Reaper, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Round Reaper

Round Reaper Zombie

Greetings, all. I've recently started looking into AoS since the Death minis are just fascinating to me. I'm working on a chess set with one side as snowy Death (and the other as summery Wood Elves) and thought I might expand my Death chess set into a small AoS army.

I haven't played AoS yet, but if i do, I'd like a decent force that could have a shot at winning, but still look great (since most of the time it will just be sitting in a display cabinet).

I'd appreciate any aid you devious deathmongers can deliver. I am really loving Deathrattle and Soulblight and Deathmages and Nighthaunt, not really enamored with the Zombies and Corpse Cart and Dire Wolves (ugly models, sorry). Fleash-eater Courts are okay, but the others excite me more.

I currently have 10 skeletons with swords nearly painted up. I own a Necromancer, Wight King with sword, Tomb Banshee, Cairn Wraith, Start Collecting Malignants and Start Collecting Skeleton Horde (so 20 skeletons so far). Not really sure if I want to follow the Formations in the Start Collecting boxes or do my own thing with them. Looking for your thoughts!

2. Round Reaper

Round Reaper Zombie

And I'm realizing this is in the wrong subforum. Sorry! Should be in the AoS section...

3. Mad 'At

Mad 'At Dumb enough to work Staff Member True Blood

@Round Reaper: Don't worry about it :)

Thread is now moved to understanding the Underworld.

4. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

Welcome!
    The text below assumes you are going to play Pitched Battles (competitive, with point costs). Remember there are other modes of play. You can learn about all that in the General's Handbook.
    Spirit hosts you own are a good unit. Increasing their number to 6 can be worthwhile, but even 3 is OK. Hexwraith are good enough to. Forget their ability to damage units by passing through them, it's not reliable. Just charge!

Hint: You can assemble cavalry as either Hexwraiths or Black Knights, so you can have 10 of either or 5 of both, since you own 2 boxes each containing 5.

The Necromancer can't cast their usefull buff on spirits, but skeletons qualify for it. Since you already have the Wight King (who buffd skeletons), you may want a strong deathrattle unit - some Grave Guard, of Necropolis Knights if you manage to get them (OOP currently). However, your Necromancer can just cast Mystic Shield on any ghostly unit and call it good - it's very effective.

Skeletons will make an ok battleline.

Mortarch from start collecting skeletons is a strong unit, you can assemble any of 3 and enjoy. It can easily become a centerpiece of your army.

Mortis Engine is Ok. It really benefits armies with several monsters imo, but yours with a Mortarch and Spirit Hosts is suitable enough. Take it if you like it.

Both Cairn Wraith and the Banshee are useful heroes. Try to summon banshee, it is a good way of deployment.

Assumed roster:
    Leaders:
    Arkhan the Black (or an another Mortarch)
    Necromancer
    Cairn Wraith

Battleline
    10x Skeletons
    10x Skeletons

Other Units
    3x Spirit Hosts
    10x Hexwraith (Necromancer casts Mystic Shield on them)
    Mortis Engine

Banshee in the Reinforcement Pool, ready to be summoned where it is needed most.

Calculate the point cost yourself.

Things to consider:
    Grave Guards or Necropolis Knight, which will make fielding Wight King (and making him your general) worthwhile, and are a good target for Necromancer's best spell.
    Vampire Lord, he is a good general for any Death army, especially ones combining severeal deffernt factions, like yours. He can buff Deathrattle, Soulblight and Malignant alike. He is Soulblight himself, too.
    3 adiitional Spirit Hosts. I'm not sure but bigger a unit will make it a better target for Mystic Shield, at least.
    More battleline units, if you want to expand your army.

Things to remember:
    Death Grand alliance Battle Trait, the Deathless Minions. Also Command Trait for your general and an artefact for one hero.
    Read more about that inside the General's Handbook.

5. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

As for the two boxes of Black Knights/Hexwraiths... If you still have all of the bits, you can buy 5 skeleton horses for like $5 and put the extra riders on them. Now you have 10 Black Knights AND 10 Hexwraiths for just a few extra dollars. I use bitsworld but I know there are lots other places.

6. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

Also, if you end up going with Flesheater Courts, Putrid Blightkings and Ogres are easy to convert into Crypt Horrors and are much cheaper than the Crypt Horror box. Or if you want to get the Crypt Horror box for the Vargheists/Crypt Flayers, you can use the Horror bits to make your Ogre/Blightking conversions look more legit. I did some 1-2 years ago. If you're interested, here's a link to how they turned out: http://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/alabasters-unsightly-undead.28713/#post-420634

7. Round Reaper

Round Reaper Zombie

Thank you guys for the wealth of information. Really, very thankful for the time you put towards a newbie.
    I am at least planning around pitched battles, but I am good with narrative battles as well. Depends on my opponent! I plan on picking up the GH at some point, once the army is more painted.

I am not sure if picking up another Start Collecting Malignants in a good idea or not, but I am leaning towards no. I don't know if I want a Coven Throne AND a Mortis Engine, and I bet I can magnetize the parts to create a way to make the model count for either. Or are Coven Thrones not really worth the bother? Some things I've read seem to imply they are not...

I think I can just get the other 3-6 Spirit Hosts for cheaper in their standalone set. I will likely get another Collecting Skeleton Horde though, since I do kinda want two of the Abyssal Terrors, and a larger unit of Black Knights or Hexwraiths seems fun too. I will certainly pick up some skeleton horses for cheap, thanks for that tip, Alabaster. I get 10 dead horses and get a whole extra unit of Hexwraiths and Black Knights!

I'm definitely planning on getting some Grave Guard, as I like the models and the idea of Elite Skeletons is cool. The Wight King would go with them, from what I gather. More Skeleton Warriors as well - I would want at least 40 boneheads if i can manage it.

I didn't know the Vampire Lord would be good for all those Death factions, thanks. I think I might have to splurge on one. Maybe I can convert the Vampire Lord in the Terrorgheist box into a decent mounted one, or one on foot.

I don't know much about Necropolis Knights, but they look HUGE. I wonder what I could use to represent them, since I don't know about the egyptian theme mixing with the standard vampire counts look. Maybe they could be spectral or honey versions of another model? Undead Demigryph Knights or something? Those don't seem big enough...

Thanks for the advice, gents. I'll go check out those conversions of yours now, Al!

8. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

@Malisteen already tried using Demigryph Knights as Necropolis Knights, to see HERE, but in the end he found them too small and thought about using Stormcast Dracoths as mounts, painting them as stone gargoyles, fitting the gothic theme quite nicely. You may consider either of those options ;)

9. Malisteen

Malisteen Master Necromancer True Blood

Yeah, it was actually a pretty frustrating, demoralizing experience. I really loved the conversions, but they were just too small to use as necroknights. Really, they're basically no bigger than regular black knights. So I have these conversions I put a lot of time and money into, when I don't have much of either, models that I really like, but that I don't feel like I can really use in game. It kind of killed my AoS motivation, which had been going pretty strong from the general's handbook up to that point. I haven't touched my undead in months now because of it.

10. Round Reaper

Round Reaper Zombie

Oooh, I do like that Dracoth idea, Borgnine. I wasn't sure how big those were, but I'm betting they are bigger than the Demigryphs. Too bad, since the Demigryphs are pretty cool, but Dracoths are just as good. Hopefully the rider isn't sculpted to the Dracoth... It looks like the Dracoth's armor would take a lot of work to cover up the Sigmar-related iconography...

@Malisteen , I totally get that - all the wind was taken out of my 40K Ork-sails after the last codex and the awesome Morkanaught just didn't live up to expectations, despite how cool the model is. I want to work on my Mekanikul Monster Mob, but ork dreads are in a sad place...
    I wouldn't let it get you down that much though! Have you considered using the Demigryph Knights as something else in your undead army? Spirit Hosts, perhaps? A hero of some sort, like a mounted Wight King or Vampire Lord?

11. Malisteen

Malisteen Master Necromancer True Blood

I suppose they could work as blood knights. Would end up wasting one to run 5 instead of 6, and they'd be hells of more expensive, but not unplayable. They'd lose all synergy with the rest of my list, though, as blood knights don't benefit from my preferred casters, or from the Tomb Kings BSB, or really much of anything outside of their own respectable but high price statline.

I might look into it in the future, once I can rebuild some motivation.

The ideal would be to just homebrew rules for a deathrattle version of demigryph knights, but I doubt I could find a place that would let me play them.