1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Sessioni's project eternal: Skeletons, first batch

Discussion in 'The Dead Shall Walk......' started by Sessioni, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Sessioni

Sessioni Grave Guard

Thanks @Nagash Worshiper Good to see you around! :) Yes I'm going to use it in 9th age, its base is 100x60mm size so it fits in the Zombie unit. I don't know if it's too competitive but I want to try it atleast :)

2. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

That's such a cool wagon! The skeletal ox is interesting, who made that model?

3. Sessioni

Sessioni Grave Guard

4. Borgnine

That's some old stuff, I didn't really expect GW, thanks for the info! You put it to good use ;) Is it heavier/softier than other metal miniatures?

5. Sessioni

Sessioni Grave Guard

Yes it is quite heavy, and the "wooden pulling system" on ox's sides bent all over the place while painting if I held it carelessly.

6. Farmer7574

Farmer7574 Vampire Count True Blood

@Sessioni Cool Cadaver wagon, you've put it together nicely!

Sessioni likes this.
  7. Sessioni

Sessioni Grave Guard

Hello everyone! How's it going? I have finished something!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope you like it! This is the first time I have the original black knights painted. Usually I have fielded my converted knights or just knights from various armies' painted like ghosts :D But I do have feelings towards old miniatures and I am glad I can field these cuties from now on.

8. Farmer7574

Farmer7574 Vampire Count True Blood

@Sessioni Awesome unit of knights, the dirty colours suit them nicely and those lance tips really catch the eye.

9. Sessioni

Sessioni Grave Guard

@Farmer7574 Thanks pal! I painted them much like I painted my Grave Guards, after all they are kind of a same unit only with horses.

10. Nagash Worshiper

Nagash Worshiper Black Knight

Wonderful job @Sessioni! The unit looks very good. The enchanted blades really stand out.

Sessioni likes this.
  11. Sessioni

Sessioni Grave Guard

@Nagash Worshiper Thanks for the praise buddy, you guys keep me going :D

Here's a new rather large project. Just finished basing them, and now it is time for painting:

[​IMG]

The idea behind this is the usefulness of skeletons in 9th age and being able to wysiwyg which ever arms they are bearing. So a lot of hassle going on and there are different weapons inside the unit, along with a small sledge filled with weapons pulled by a poor horsie. Plus now I can use my old grave guard and armoured skeletons which were too low in numbers to form a unit of their own.

Wish me luck! :D

Borgnine likes this.
  12. Devour the Cabbage

Devour the Cabbage Ghoul

Oh hoho, I don't envy you having to paint that! Though will be a characterful unit when done, good to see the skele's getting a bit of the mismatching love the zombies have been getting on the site.

13. Theerteen

Theerteen Cheerful Cranium True Blood

That is one perfect Army of Darkness Style skeleton horde ;) Really like it, and now gogo, paint 'em! :D

Sessioni likes this.
  14. Borgnine

Goddamnit, I would never think that those metal skeletons could be built into such a varied and interesting unit! It does remind me of my own zombies and I would consider doing something like this too - if I weren't slowly getting tired with my own unit ;) Getting all those skeletons must have been tough - and it probably weighs a bit too - but it still really, really, reeaaally awesome and I'm waiting to see them painted :)

Sessioni likes this.
  15. Sessioni

Sessioni Grave Guard

@Theerteen I've been thinking about what to write on the banner. Please tell me if you have any good ideas, Black Knight banner says "Damned", so I would like something similar here, maybe something Army of Darknessish ;)

@Borgnine Yes they look great together doesn't they :) Unit fillers are a key feature making this unit look whole! I too cannot wait to see how the unit looks like when fully painted! You totally should make yourself a skeleton unit like you did zombies, think of the possibilities! :D

Here are first 8 skeletons finished, they are pretty fast to paint as it is mostly metal and well.. bones. The shields are yet to be finished, I plan to paint them when all the other skeletons are ready.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  16. Theerteen

Thanks for the request xD an obvious choice would be “klaatu barada nikto“ even better if the last word is made unreadable by dirt or blood xD if you've seen the movie you know that this caused almost all the trouble ;)

Sessioni likes this.
  17. Sessioni

Sessioni Grave Guard

That's an excellent idea! I totally have seen the movie, many times :D Klaatu barada nikto (even tho originated from a sci-fi movie) sounds necromantic (funny word) and evil, and it will be nice to see how many people will notice the text :D Thanks pal!

Adam_Barrow and Theerteen like this.
  18. Theerteen

I'd love to see it xD to be honest, not a new idea tho, because I have written that quote in my ME book. But I think more than one necro is in knowledge of that ...spell... :D

What movie is the original quote from? I always thought it was from some kind of old nonsense text.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  19. Sessioni

Sessioni Grave Guard

Quote from Wikipedia: ""Klaatu barada nikto" is a phrase that originated in the 1951 science fiction film The Day the Earth Stood Still. The humanoid alien protagonist of the film, Klaatu (Michael Rennie), instructs Helen Benson (Patricia Neal) that if any harm befalls him, she must say the phrase to the robot Gort (Lockard Martin). In response Gort relents from destroying the Earth and resurrects Klaatu from death."

But I will definitely use that phrase anyways :D Again thanks for the idea! And it is even cooler when you have used it also, let us spread the word!

Theerteen likes this.
  20. Theerteen

Onward, Army of darkness!

21. Sharkbelly

Sharkbelly Wight King

They look great!

Sessioni likes this.
  22. Sessioni

Sessioni Grave Guard

Thanks @Sharkbelly !

Here's a quick update, 19 ready for action, 41 to do :D

[​IMG]

What do you think, less rust or more rust?

Nagash Worshiper and Theerteen like this.
  23. Theerteen

I'd say either keep it like it is, or do a developing style like “fresh, nearly unused weapon“ to “veteran skeleton, already served in the siege of Altdorf - almost completely rusted“ :D

24. Borgnine

As a big fan of rust, I say "more rust" of course ;) They look awesome! How is it coming up with them?

25. Nagash Worshiper

Nagash Worshiper Black Knight

@Sessioni! I rolled double six on the IoN. Therefore I want to see more skelies ;)