• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Ravenfeld

Skeleton
May 7, 2010
California
So I have read quite a bit recently in regards to the application of spears in 8th edition (on this forum mainly) and since I am just getting started (I bought a War Wagon on Ebay to turn into a Corpse Cart, I'm excited!) I wanted to know if I should actually equip my skeletons with spears! It seems like they are doubly useful due to fear reducing weapon skill to 1 (potentially) and fighting in three ranks instead of just two! Not to mention that a 6+ ward save with hand weapon / shield seems a little less badass. The reason I ask is because I am not made of money and when I equip my bones they are gunna stay that way!

Thoughts?

-- Ravenfeld

DarkMan

Zombie
Apr 19, 2010
I am sadly in the boat with my skeletons with HW and shields but will keep them as that their stuck together and sprayed but not going to break arms off for the sake of extra rank attack.

Tribun

Skeleton
May 15, 2010
Giessen
You can also play spearskellies as equipped with just handweapons. wysiwyg forbiddes ar more not a minor!

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Some one else had the really good idea of equipping half their unit with HW & Shields and the other half Spears. He then put the models at the front that were actually being equipped that way for that game. Not sure if this would be ok in tourneys etc, but I thought it was an excellent suggestion.

Failing that it seems that HW & Shields would still be the way to most probably go, as our skellies are too poor to really benefit from the extra rank attacks. I personally would wait until these rumours are confirmed though.

Gokamok

Grave Guard
Apr 6, 2010
I guess that the viability of spears will be dependant on several other factors, such as unit size, magic support, what opponent you're fighting, etc. A large block of Skellies with spears backed up by the handy WS7 hat and maybe a VHD once in a while will certainly be able to grind down a lot of opponents, while a smaller (20 models or so) block of spear Skellies with no support is unlikely to do much against most opponents.
I'll probably stick with one unit with HWS, one unit with spears, and then a huge Zombie tarpit and 15 or so Ghouls to make up the rest of the infantry line.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I have a couple units of both. If I want to field all spears, then I just use the HW/Shield Skellies for IoN castings :D

I'd say use magnets and have both options... though I doubt that you could find anything small enough to use for that... and would it actually be any cheaper (money, time, painting, etc) then just buying second unit? I very much doubt it.

Burnanation

Crypt Horror
Mar 29, 2010
Woodstock VA
Currently hw and shield do the trick for the skellies. Think of it this way. Skellies are your static combat generator. Unless you get lucky, your skellies aren't going to hack and slash their way to victory. For breaking the enemy unit you'll need a hero or hit them in the flank with something fighty. Given that, you'll want to deny your opponent kills, so hw & shld and light armor should give you 4+ against average troops.

If you want the rank and file fighty unit, that would be the ghouls.

This wisdom will of course be useless in a short bit with the entrance of 8th ed. So I would do what is proposed above, do half and half. If spears end up super awesome that's how I'll rectify the situation.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu