1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Strigoi 8th Edition Feedback

Discussion in 'Bloodline Armies' started by Disciple of Nagash, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Disciple of Nagash

Disciple of Nagash The Perverted One Staff Member TVC II GM

This thread is for feedback on the 8th edition Strigoi rules.

2. bluecthulhu

bluecthulhu Zombie

Thank you very much for making this list! I am a ghoul lover and this is exactly what I was looking for. I have a couple of questions that I was hoping you could clarify.

Does the fear of the hunter power cause terror in pure monsters? not monstrous beasts or cavalry? I do love the idea of my vampire chasing a petrified Bloodthirster but that does seem a little crazy...

Could a vampire with the Varghkin power join a Varghulf forming a unit of 2? I am not sure what value this has but I am curious if it is possible.

Lastly, I was wondering why the vengeance riders are listed as having fear. Wouldn't they naturally have it for being undead?

Thank you again for the list!

3. Bishop

Bishop Master Necromancer True Blood

No. The power specifies that it can cause Fear/Terror to units which are Immune to Psychology. However, as the Bloodthrister causes Terror to start with, the "normal" Fear/Terror rules would still apply. This "list" of effected units needs editing as well, too include the newer types.

No, because Monsters cannot join units.

This is a slight error, I noticed that a few of those units are not listed as Undead... I'm going to go edit that right now.

4. bluecthulhu

bluecthulhu Zombie

Thanks for the replies. One more question... Would the court ghouls need to first lose frenzy in order to use their free will ability? (fleeing from combat)

Thanks

5. Bishop

I would assume so, yes. Since the normal rules for Frenzy prevent a unit from Fleeing.

6. Disciple of Nagash

Yep I am in agreement with everything Bishop has said :thumbsup:

If you do use the list please let us know how well it works.

7. bluecthulhu

bluecthulhu Zombie

Will do! (Although I am for the short term in the farmlands of western North Carolina without a soul or hobby store in sight...)

When you guys have time, let me know the ruling on the Fear of the Hunter power to know what subset of monsters are affected by the Terror...

Thanks again!

8. Bishop

I'll review the list of unit types this evening and see what else should be included. Though, there's probably not too much missing. Based on the "flavour text", I'd say we need to add Warbeasts for sure.

9. Darkblossom

Darkblossom Zombie

I have one remaining question related to the 'Vengeance riders' :
    Are they considered as being 'Ghouls' or as being'Fell Bats' regarding to the summoning powers?

10. bluecthulhu

bluecthulhu Zombie

Alas, I have another question also related to the Vengeance Riders.
    When a vampire with Batform joins one of these units, do the Vegeance Riders lose the Fast Cavalry ability? (It would be awesome if the Batform power gave the character Fast Cavalry...)

Thanks

11. Bishop

I'd say that the following for sure need to be added to the list of effected units:
    • Monstrous Calvary
      Monstrous Beasts
      Warbeasts

Vengence Riders - These are unit type Calvary (since that's how models riding a warbeast would be classified). Personally, I have no problem using the Ghoulkin power on this unit, or having IoN raise more then a single wound on the unit so long as we add in the restriction that they can not go above the units starting size.

Bat Form - As it's written right now, the character would cause the Vengence Riders to lose Fast Calvary. I'm not sure if this should be changed or not. There are lots of Fast Calvary units in the game that lose their abilities when joined by a character. I'd personally leave it as is.

12. Disciple of Nagash

Yep I agree with this

I disagree. They are already quite a potent unit with 2 wounds apiece. Healing them is fine, but I think allowing them to move before the battle starts is too much considering they can fly. I am also not sure on healing more than one wound at one time.

I'd agree with this - see how playtesting pans out.

13. Bishop

Sorry, I missed something... I'd have no problem using Ghoulkin on the VRiders, so long as a no 1st charges restriction was placed on them.

Might be better to simply have them not count as "ghouls" for purposes of Summon Ghouls, IoN, and Ghoulkin.

14. bluecthulhu

bluecthulhu Zombie

I'm a little confused. Hasn't Ghoulkin been replaced by Ghoul Master (or are you just using the two terms interchangeably)?

Also, since the Vengeance Riders were given the Free Will ability, wouldn't they fall under the allowed vanguard units under the Ghoul Master ability?

15. Bishop

They would already be restricted based on Ghoul Master rules. Yeah, my bad. (It's cuz this one has been done already... so it's been "removed" from my head... otherwise it would surely explode from knowledge over-load! :D )

16. bluecthulhu

bluecthulhu Zombie

And as for IoN and the Vengeance Riders, why not consider them as under the domain of Summon Creatures of the Night? It would allow that power to get more use.