1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Tale of Painters - Tomb Kings

Discussion in 'The Faces of Our Next Meal......' started by Mioum, May 1, 2011.

1. Constant Drachenfels

Constant Drachenfels Ghoul

Painting all those bandages must be tiresome. But the result looks great! Can you tell us where those little model cacti on the ruins come from? Never seen these before! ^^

2. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

Thanks!

Mummies aren't cheap, but I think they still look great, glad you like it too :) They are a pain to rank though, that's why there's some ruins and a cat in the unit! And yes, there's 2 Heroquest mummies in there, and the "musician" (the singing mummy) is from a similar game from the same era, Dark World.

It was indeed. I did most of them by hand, but there's a few that were dry brushed (those that look whiter are dry brushed). They look much better when done by hand though ;)

And the Cactus are from Pegasus Hobbies.

3. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

This month goal for me is to paint my 4 Necro Knights. I finished my first one;

aimageshack.us_a_img339_8533_tklog186.jpg

4. Mr Saturday

Mr Saturday Vampire Count True Blood

Super nice. That dark stone looks great.

5. Constant Drachenfels

Constant Drachenfels Ghoul

4 Necro knights in one month sounds daunting. Just the accents on the dark blue of this one must have taken ages. :zombie: Looking great!

6. NoisyAssassin

NoisyAssassin Ghoul

*drools uncontrollably* Just read through this whole blog from the beginning and am super impressed! Love the conversions, love the the painting! Your Heirotitan is almost enough to make me want to start a TK army...

7. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

Thanks! The stone is quite simple to do, especially the tail as it's mostly just drybrush on :) But yeah 4 of them is a big goal for the month. My second one is nearly done (will post pics by the end of the week), so I'm halfway through.

Great, I'm glad you liked it xD

8. bigbadbat

bigbadbat Harbinger of Dandelions Staff Member True Blood

Love this plog!

9. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

Here's the champion that I finished today;

aimageshack.us_a_img138_440_tklog187.jpg

10. PrinceCharming

PrinceCharming Black Knight

that is truly one amazing looking army!

11. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

Thanks, glad you like it :)

The month was short with only 28 days (didn't though about that beforehand), but I finished my unit on time!

Sorry for the not great pictures, but here's the completed unit;

aimageshack.us_a_img854_9185_tklog189.jpg

12. Mr Saturday

Mr Saturday Vampire Count True Blood

That's a really, really nice looking unit.

13. xFallenx

xFallenx Grave Guard

Great work!! Those knights look amazing. What's on the table for March?

14. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

Sadly for march, not much as far as painting goes. My brush was dead when I was done with the unit, and I want a little break (that last unit was somewhat hardcore to get done in the month!).

I'll flock and paint some movement trays for my TK for sure (not really exciting :tongue:), but otherwise, nothing is planned. That mean I might jump between projects I have laying around, some greenstuff here, build some stuff there (have a box of the new Dragon Ogres that I particularily want to fiddle with), and might paint some random stuff that catch my fancy.

15. Santawraith

Santawraith Moderator Staff Member True Blood

It is nice to see your beautiful kings once more, btw you inspired me to add a monthly pledge up. Thanks for the beautiful models and the inspiration.

16. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

The past few months I've painted mostly non-TK related stuff for my pledges (wich allowed me to finally paint some VC :D), but I still had some project on the workbench for them!

So I present you;

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse Nehekhara!

aimageshack.us_a_img580_6518_tklog192.jpg

Some of these were shown here before (see page 6), but now I've done all the horse ornaments. Now they look a bit more like characters, naked horses was a bit bland and not special enough ;)

This guy wasn't shown before as he wasn't finished at the time, so here's the mounted Liche with Lore of Light;

aimageshack.us_a_img703_5510_tklog193.jpg

And while this guy is quite basic, I quite like the pose :)

aimageshack.us_a_img843_9917_tklog194.jpg

This month pledge include some Liches (non-mounted), so I should have a few more painted models later :)

17. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

Although I am happy to see you back to painting some Vampires (still looking forward to that coven throne!) I must say that the Tomb Kings have never looked so good. Seriously, everything in this plog looks amazing, and I really like the green theme. Those mummies are great, look forward to seeing some paint on your horsemen :thumbsup:

18. Tawg

Tawg Vampire Count True Blood

Wooowwww

I don't think I ever see something you've done without being impressed :ghost: Especially involving greenstuff.

19. benvoliothefirst

benvoliothefirst Grave Guard

Just finished looking through this whole thread, and man... wow. You are certainly talented, and quite the inspiration! Tomb Kings have never looked so good. Keep up the great work!

20. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

Thanks for all the kind words guys, really appreciated :)

This month painting pledge is over for me, I completed what I wanted to do. This month was dedicated to some characters, so I painted 4 Liche Priests, since, you know, I have to have at least one in every game! It help to have a good selection, when one perform badly he can stay in the foam for a while :tongue:

I also experimented with a brown edged for the bases, and I'm starting to like it a lot more than my regular bleached bone edges. I think that eventually I'll have to redo all my bases edge in that color :zombie:

But for now, on to the Liches!

First one I did, regular Liche;

aimageshack.us_a_img708_2413_tklog195.jpg

The second one is also a regular Liche, but it's an old models that I decided to rework. Changed his staff and repainted him entirely;

Before
    aimageshack.us_a_img89_2797_tklog197.jpg

After
    aimageshack.us_a_img534_9723_tklog196.jpg

The third one is one of my Lore of Light Liche;

aimageshack.us_a_img43_9723_tklog196.jpg

And to finish, I needed to counter the Light Liche, so I did a Lore of Death Liche;

aimageshack.us_a_img706_2808_drjs.jpg

That is all for now!

21. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

My last update is quite a while back, but I'm now painting a bit more TK for the new year! Here's the first character of [I don't know how many] that I want to do this month!

aimageshack.com_a_img580_6719_bqqy.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

22. untitled_musketeer

untitled_musketeer Moderator Staff Member True Blood

Superb choice of colours and a brilliant execution. I love the high contrast. It really makes the colours pop!

Keep up the great work!

u_m

23. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

Many thanks u_m :)

I worked on two characters more or less simultaneously, so I was able to finish this one quickly. It's a very old scratch-built Tomb Prince, mainly made out of Zombie parts, but I repainted him so he can be more "pretty"!

aimageshack.com_a_img541_6328_j11d.jpg

24. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

Another update!

Finished working on my count-as Carrions, I present you the giant scarabs!

aimageshack.com_a_img163_2049_7stt.jpg

wheeljack likes this.
  25. Thindol

Thindol Grave Guard

I see what you're doing. I know what's going on. You're trying to make me break my brushes and quit painting since my skills have been invalidated....thanks...

On a side note, you rock!!! What colour did you use on the bases and the terrain piece you did? Did you just prime white and wash? No highlights?