1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Tales of New Eden: TONE Sign-up thread

Discussion in 'Theatre de Vampyre' started by The Archivist, Jul 2, 2014.

1. The Archivist

The Archivist Archivist of the word The Staff Member True Blood

Prologue:
    Things have been getting hairy recently. Goblin gang wars in Europe, mutated fae spawning in Antarctica and a series of Yeti rampages in the Himalayas: and that's just the small stuff. The meteoric rise of Baron Samedi's avatar has sent the paranormal and supernatural communities diving for cover and left the mortals and technomancers dazed across the Americas.

You, however, have more important things to do: namely taking down the incipient shapeshifter cult in an ill known suburb of Vancouver, Canada: New Eden.
    Ever since the Cult of Chaotic Armageddon in New Eden showed their faces, beaks and muzzles, things have been downright horrible. Mortal police are dealing with ten times the usual weird and horrible cases, whilst the local vampire-werewolf sparring club was devastated in a drive-by shootout. Magic practitioners and potion brewers have had valuable resources stolen, the Wiccan meeting glade was set alight and iron bear traps left by every entry into Faerie have angered every creature of the fae within a hundred miles.
    The leaders of the cult, otherwise known as the Sniffers, have made themselves notorious even further abroad. Apple and Google technomantic research centres have both had valuable resources stolen by Stoned Crow and Rabid Fox, whilst Blue Skunk has taken an interest in gassing every Court personally. Bounties abound, threats are assembled, but no-one has been willing to make the first move.

You're all gathering in Para's Normal Pizza, a well recognized and well protected neutral ground and popular eatery, in order to work out the details of taking the Cult of Chaotic Armageddon in New Eden out back in the February snows to be dealt with like the rabid dogs they are. None of you are particularly powerful in the grand scheme of things, and your backgrounds may be a point of contention between you, but all of you feel that it's about time someone did something. That's why you all hooked up over the paranet to arrange this meeting...

Character Profiles:
    Player: NPC (The Archivist)
    True Name: Paris Vera Normal Smith
    Handle: Para
    Existence: Informed Vanilla Mortal Pizza Shop Owner and Diplomat
    Main Mojo: Sharp Mind
    Ally ex Machina: Guild of Neutral Landowners
    Cult Beef: Disrupting Business and Delivery Routes
    Anecdote: Manages to stay sane juggling orders from everyone and keeping uninformed mortals freaking out on first contact with the truly weird.

RP Notes:
    This is a fairly open RP, and lots of natural fog of war. Don't pull a deus ex machina (that's my job with the Allies ex Machina) but otherwise lore is a melange. Want to include a race of Hummingbird morphs? Have a few enter a café as background pieces. Just don't complain when I spring hovering bad guys with Tommy Guns.
    Also, bear in mind the Canadian setting. Loa, shinobi and lamia are going to be a lot rarer and more exotic than tuurngait or valkyries.
    And finally, don't discount vanilla mortals: they are the most numerous beings in existence.

2. The Archivist

Example Character Profiles:

Player:NPC (The Archivist)
    True Name: Sasuki Denden Nikowa Nyasen
    Handle: Nyasuki
    Existence: Catgirl Pizza Shop Waitress
    Main Mojo: Cat Senses
    Ally ex Machina: Nyasen Clan
    Cult Beef: Angered Para
    Anecdote: Is on an American exchange with a Satyr, pulling in her job at Para's as pocket change.

True Name: Berkmunster James McAndrew
    Handle: Munster
    Existance: Trogladyte Pizza Shop Delivery Man and Seer
    Main Mojo: Future-Seeing Third Eye
    Ally ex Machina: Oracle Self-help Hotline
    Random Beef: Failure to pay for pizza next Friday
    Anecdote: In order to avoid going mad, he fled Ireland to forego his tribe's demands and uses his Foresight only for pizzas and certain special circumstances.

True Name: Scott Evelyn MacArthur
    Handle: Great Scott
    Existance: Informed Vanilla Mortal Entertainer and Swordmaster
    Main Mojo: Furiously Fit
    Ally ex Machina: The Shieldwall
    Supernatural Beef: Part of a borderline vanilla mortal protection organization.
    Anecdote: Despite his place in The Shieldwall, he's attached himself to Para's Normal Pizza as an observer to assess the effectiveness of her methods.
    And some joke profiles:

True Name: Harry James Potter
    Handle: Harry
    Existence: Human Wizard Student
    Main Mojo: Defensive Magic
    Ally ex Machina: Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry
    Death Eater Beef: Parents killed by boss, end of freedom at stake
    Anecdote: Grew up in a cupboard under some stairs of an abusive aunt and uncle, only leaving for Hogwarts once his magic came in.

True Name: Frodo Baggins
    Handle: Frodo
    Existence: Hobbit Adventurer and Ring-Bearer
    Main Mojo: Cunning Resourcefulness
    Ally ex Machina: The Fellowship of the Ring
    Sauron Beef: End of society and a corrupting ring
    Anecdote: Grew up with the tales of adventure from the previous bearer of the ring and uncle, Bilbo Baggins.

3. spineyrequiem

spineyrequiem Necromancer

Attempting to start us off and hoping this is appropriate

Player: Spineyrequiem
    True Name: Naoko Itsumi/Omo
    Handle: Puppet Girl
    Existence: Human schoolgirl mindslave/cloth sorcerer hand puppet
    Main Mojo: Eldritch Lightning
    Ally Ex Machina: Ehime Girls' High Burning and Pillaging Society
    Cult Beef: Cult members are trying to collect back taxes.
    Anecdote: The entirety of Ehime High are on an Canadian exchange as part of an elaborate tax avoidance scheme.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  4. Count Darvaleth

Count Darvaleth I <3 marmite Staff Member True Blood

Will get onto this tomorrow! Looks great. :thumbsup:

5. Harland

Harland The Colonel Staff Member True Blood

Still not quite sure what's going on here, but from what I've heard from Archy we're basically an X-files-like team who investigate paranormal activity while trying to keep it from the attention of the public.

True Name: Edwin Vile
    Handle: The Inspector
    Existence: Informed mortal human; Disgraced now-private detective obsessed with tracking down the demonic puppeteer Mogen.
    Main Mojo: Crime-scene analysis
    Cult Beef: Supposed connections with Mogen
    Ally Ex Machina: N/A
    Anecdote: Was exiled from the police force due to drawing connections between the local senator and a demon from the 5th level of hell. Allergic to Werewolves.

6. Get of W'soran

Get of W'soran CN's Lord of Masks True Blood TVC II GM

Hope this is ok:

True Name: Matsumoto Akimitsu (Rarely uses his Family Name)
    Handle: Akky
    Existence: Informed Mortal Human: Ki Adept Swordmaster and Assassin
    Main Mojo: Sociopathic Swordsman
    Ally ex machina: Shizuka Corp
    Cult Beef: Orders from employer.
    Anecdote: Full-time Assassin working for the Multinational Shizuka Corporation and an avid comic book collector. Has been sent by CEO Mr. Shizuka to deal with the cult.

7. The Archivist

Harland's sort of right, in that the setting could easily support that type of RP. The aim of the characters is to take down the Cult no matter where they come from. The setting takes the idea of a semi-hidden society of supernatural and paranormal existence alongside modern society. Because this is a nebulous, light RP, any suggestions for species, organizations etc are liable to be added to the canon.

It is for this last reason that the character forms are minimal: we'll set up your backstories as and when necessary. Here's a quick explanation:

True Name: A persons true name is what they consider their full name: it also has a bearing with magic.
    Handle: A person's introduction or nickname.
    Existence: species and jobs, with the informed/uninformed prefix for humans.
    Main Mojo: their most useful inherrant skill
    Ally ex machina: a group they belong to that might make demands of or offers of help to the player as I deem fit
    Cult Beef: reason to be angry at the cult. NPCs may have beef with other parties instead.
    Anecdote: A one or two line snippet that'll give a little depth to the character.

GoWand Harland both need to clarify their species and ally ex machina. Otherwise everything seems good.

8. Lynks

Lynks Lord of RAW Staff Member True Blood

might be too strange, I hope it's not :tongue:

Player: Lynks
    True Name: Ignacious Haulding
    Handle: Iggy the Claw
    Existance: Cursed human-> merfolk, Fake pirate/pact-bound goon
    Main Mojo: Hook hand skills
    Ally ex Machina: The Collected Consortium of Pirate Pretenders
    Supernatural Beef: The cult is sullying Urbrect's lake
    Anecdote: Once a fake pirate with a fake hook, now a fake pirate with a real hook and fish skin after entering into a pact with a being he thought more capable than it turned out to be.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  9. The Archivist

I like it Lynks, though your ally should be a group: Pact Support Group, Ghosts and Pirates United, something bigger than your character. A single relationship like that between your character and the lake monster is much more reliable and likely: not much point having that as an ex machina rather than a regular feature.

10. Get of W'soran

Cheers for the extra direction Archy! I've added in mortal and the Corporation that employees him (the idea just being the Corp is big and powerful enough to know about this sort of supernatural thing).

Let me know if anything else needs changed!

11. The Archivist

Informed or uninformed mortal? I assume its informed by your statement...

12. Get of W'soran

I suck so bad...I've added the informed part now.

Apologies, I can only skim read when in work so I sometimes miss things.

13. Harland

Harland The Colonel Staff Member True Blood

Updated bio. Is it required to have an Ally ex Machina?

14. Count Darvaleth

Count Darvaleth I <3 marmite Staff Member True Blood

Player: Count Darvaleth
    True Name: Daniel Archer Reginald Visigold Yateson
    Handle: Darvy
    Existence: Uninformed Human Lawyer
    Main Mojo: Top Attorney
    Ally ex Machina: Noctem and Carpe Partnership
    Cult Beef: His firm gave him a case - he'll see it done
    Anecdote: Once managed to convince a plaintiff that they preferred their hotel burnt down, and got them to settle with his client before trial - ruthless litigant, but has a code.

Is that about what you're looking for? Excited for this!

15. The Archivist

Bingo Darvy!
    And no, Harland, you can put N/A under Ally if you wish.
    And no worries GoW! You're now good to go!

16. The Archivist

I think we'll start fairly soon, but don't panic if you haven't signed up: this rp is a very relaxed one, and dropping in and out will be a cinch.

17. The Archivist

IC started. I'll be starting an OOC thread as well. I'll gather everyone's bios together at the top of the OOC for easy reference.

18. Lynks

Lynks Lord of RAW Staff Member True Blood

I have changed my ally ex Machina to someone hopefully more suitable, my union :tongue:

19. The Archivist

Unions are fun...

20. Get of W'soran

Yay the pirate has arrived :D

21. Disciple of Nagash

Disciple of Nagash The Perverted One Staff Member TVC II GM

This looks interesting, but a fair bit on my plate on the mo - will it be possible to drop in part way through?

22. The Archivist

Yes. This RP is even more relaxed than my last one. People can drop in and out with ease.

23. Disciple of Nagash

Ok, I'll try this although I am not 100% sure I have understood it correctly :redface:

Player: Disciple of Nagash
    True Name: Model S-M780, Variant C
    Handle: Slinks
    Existance: Bio-engineered human/fae hybrid, originally manufactured as a hardcore S&M pleasure drone, currently has secondary (discrete) function of assassin.
    Main Mojo: Encyclopaedic knowledge of pain and pleasure zones for all species, with enhanced bio-engineering to effectively trigger them
    Ally ex Machina: The Global Alliance of Adult Workers, Perverts and Sex Botherers.
    Supernatural Beef: Inadvertent destruction of sex bot manufacturing plant
    Anecdote: Once was described by the CEO of the billion dollar company Microhard as "divine" when he was kept in the perfect balance between pain and pleasure for 72 hours. No records exist regarding their next encounter, although the CEO was found dead with a look on his face that suggest some kind of extreme feeling at point of death, although whether it was pain or please is unknown.

24. The Archivist

That's great! Do you want to join now or later?

25. Disciple of Nagash

Let me catch up on a few things and then I'll let you know if I can join now. I'm just reading the IC thread at the moment.