1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

The 9th Age version 1.1

Discussion in 'The World That Was' started by MasterSpark, Sep 4, 2016.

1. MasterSpark

MasterSpark Nostalgian Staff Member True Blood

Hello everyone.

This Friday (02-09-2016) saw the release of a hotfix to the 9th age. Here are the notes.

2. Mad 'At

Mad 'At Dumb enough to work Staff Member True Blood

I must say that I am personally not a fan of the Ethereal change. I think it risks leaving our ghosts without a purpose, because they won't really be able to tank anything now. It was hard enough as it was with only a 2++. A 5++ against magic is sure nice, but I doubt it will make a world of difference. A magic Missile will still cripple the unit. I hope I am wrong, I guess we'll see.

The other changes seem very valid. The nerf to the Pendulum and the Altar of Battle might not be enough, since they are still incredible powerhouses, you just have to pay a little more for them. It is a step in the right direction but I hope (and think) the next release will redesign them a bit.

MedMos likes this.
  3. MedMos

MedMos Zombie

I agree with @Mad 'At about the ethereal change. Survivability was their strength, and even that was questionable if your opponent came prepared (which he should). A lot of other units are a lot harder to deal with, even when the ethereals were totally immune to mundane attacks they could still be dealt with via combat resolution.
    Of course I haven't tried the new lists with the additional ethereals (mounted wraiths). I think maybe the extra availability caused the need for the nerf, which in turn is changing the role of ethereals and taking their purpose away, leaving us with zombies as the "better option" for holding things up. Again.

4. MasterSpark

MasterSpark Nostalgian Staff Member True Blood

Yeah, going from 2+ to 3+ is such a huge step down I think it's going to make wraiths more or less suicidal on the charge unless you're able to take a flank of something. I think this should have come with some form of boost to their vitality, either like a second wound or make them recover more from an invocation.

MedMos likes this.
  5. MedMos

MedMos Zombie

Yes, they give you way too few wounds for their cost as it is now. They used to be so characterful, now they are more like very, very weak deamons.

6. Raizi

Raizi Vampire Thrall

What would help Spirit Hosts would be to give them monstrous infantry supporting attacks. Now there is no point in fielding them in two ranks other than the extra wounds.

7. Irisado

Irisado Ancient Vampire Lord Staff Member True Blood

Apart from the change to the Ethereal rules, it also seems as though the Banshee's points cost has been increased by twenty points. As I haven't had the chance to play Ninth Age yet, I can't say whether either change is justified, but there seem to be an awful lot of people complaining about both changes, so I'm guessing it's a contentious decision at best.

8. MedMos

MedMos Zombie

As I haven't tried the rules either, it's hard for me to judge. But the Wail of Woe seems very lackluster compared to the old rules for Banshees, so an increase in prize just puts me more off the ethereals. Nothing scary is scared of a handful S 4 hits, that doesn't even bypass armour anymore. A little bummed by these changes, but not overly fuzzed as I never used a great deal of ethereals anyway. Still, hoping they get some better rules again.

9. Mad 'At

Mad 'At Dumb enough to work Staff Member True Blood

The banshee cost increase is quite warranted from what I've seen. The wail might not seem like much, but when bunching two or three banshees together it can do a lot of damage. It is basically an automatic fireball with two extra hits (granted only range 8"), and seeing as Path of Fire is very popular, I can understand why this is popular too.

What's sad about it is that taking one banshee was never an issue, but several of them was a bit too good. This is a problem that we keep seeing in the game, and quite a hard one to crack. Hopefully they can do something about it all in v1.2.0.

10. Eternal Salvation

Eternal Salvation Ghoul

Maybe they ought to make increasing costs for each subsequent unit, i.e. first unit Y cost = x, second unit Y cost = x+z and so on

Raizi likes this.