1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

The 9th Heim

Discussion in 'The World That Was' started by Mad 'At, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Mad 'At

Mad 'At Dumb enough to work Staff Member True Blood

Hello guys :)

I've shared this on the 9th Age forums but thought I could put it here too. Below you'll find five documents that make up the rules for a what we in my group have chosen to call The 9th Heim.

The 9th Heim - Rules v0.1.2

The 9th Heim - Armies and Warbands v0.1.2

The 9th Heim - Paths and Faiths v0.1.3

The 9th Heim - Hired Swords v0.1.2

The 9th Heim - Scenarios v0.1.2

We were about to start up a Mordheim campaign in my gaming group, but I wasn't happy with the format of the rules. So I insisted on rewriting all the rules and at the same time incorporated format and mechanics from The 9th Age, to create a tighter set of rules. We've used this for the past few months and have done some further changes to it in order to bring it close to the 9th Age with regards to characteristics and weapons, but also to improve balance and game play. So far we've found it really enjoyable.

We welcome anyone to use these rules if they'd like, and we'd happy for any comments and input you might have on it.

Last updated: 201-02-05

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    der vued likes this.
  2. Leithel

Leithel Grave Guard

Ha! what a great idea.

Mordheim was a great game, still is but it never had that logevity because the rules were juts so unbalanced and flauntable. I'll check these out for sure.

3. Zephyr

Zephyr Master Necromancer True Blood

Thank you for posting! I'm certainly going to give these a try soon.

4. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

I welcome any attempt to update Mordheim, so I can promise to read these, at least.

UPD: Hmm, it feels like alliance rules are over-complicated. Btw, are you planning to add Dramatis Personae at some point?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  5. Eternal Salvation

Eternal Salvation Ghoul

Is this link still workign for people? I'd love to try and get some of my T9A buddies in to Mord!

6. Mad 'At

@Eternal Salvation: Opps, sorry. I've updated the rules once since posting but forgot to update the links. Will be fixed in a minute.

EDIT: Missed your update @Aranei. What in the Alliance rules do you find overcomplicated? I don't have any plans to add Dramatis Personae, while I don't know the exact place for these rules in the 9th Age fluff, I at least know that I want it connected stronger to 9th Age than the old world.

7. Eternal Salvation

Eternal Salvation Ghoul

Wow! I haven't finished reading, but this is looking like a great project!
    It's very striking to note that you enhanced wounds x6 (and ogre-sized models are only double others). I always found part of the hilarity and grim reality of Mord was that on any given day, anything can happen.

8. Mad 'At

@Eternal Salvation: Glad to hear that.

We were a bit hesitant about using Hit Points from the start, but after playing a bit with it we've come to really like it. Combat is still very dangerous and you can never feel really safe there. Shooting is a bit nerfed though since you are less likely to kill in one shot and anyone hurt can recover. This I like since you don't risk anything by shooting the enemies to death. Something that I really like is that it creates a lot more situations where a model in combat becomes damaged (or even Knocked Down or Stunned) and you have to react and come to the rescue with other models. This has happened a few times for my Vampire and it always feels very cinematic.

9. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

I have actually played 9th heim with my friends and it was fun. I actually understood the alliance rules and they are not over-complicated, but clever.

My only woe for now are undead warbands. There are no Undying dynasties warband, and vampire covenant has only 3 bloodlines - no strigoi or nosferatu (for comparison, ratmen have 4 clans in their warband). Also Karstein have acess to a zombie troll, who is strange - a T 3 Big Target? What? He dies almost instatly to enemy bows, and frequently dies in close combat before he could attack due to cobiation of T 3 and I 1.

I have a request: please, add a nosferatu bloodline to VC warband. Fixing a zombie troll would be nice, too. Currently he is not worth taking, IMO.

10. Mad 'At

@Aranei Glad to hear you've tried it and very glad to hear you've enjoyed it :)

I have plans to make all the 9th Age armies represented, with SA, UD and OK being next in line. Once they have warbands I will start working on expanding the existing armies with more configurations. VC will definitely be getting their missing bloodlines, ID will get a warband with actual dwarves and so forth.

The zombie troll I am not very sure about. It was not part of original Mordheim but was part of the compendium I used as basis for my pack. Can't recall if T3 was my call or not, but tbh I find it quite interesting. All other Monstrous Infantry models have T4 or T5, so this makes it different. It is cheaper than most to compensate, but possibly not cheap enough. I could also consider increasing its Hit Points to 15, to keep its uniqueness. On the other hand, I might scrap it altogether, possibly adding a Ghast instead (with T5, Regeneration (5+) and probably costing 200+). The Ghast could also possibly be something exclusive to a Strigoi warband, but then Von Karnstein would have nothing special. Maybe I could add Great Bats for that...

11. Eternal Salvation

Eternal Salvation Ghoul

Great work, been enjoying talking with you about it on the T9A forum.
    Darkvoice