1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

The Fleshy Flesh Court of Flesh-Eaters (plus other undead!)

Discussion in 'The Dead Shall Walk......' started by EternallyUndying, Jun 12, 2016.

1. EternallyUndying

EternallyUndying Black Knight

@Borgnine
    Funny, here's a post from almost 4 years ago where I asked you how to do verdigris
    http://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/painting-rusted-copper-patina-verdigris.25659/

I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, and you posted a tutorial that I could not understand at that early level of painting.

Before LVO I repainted all the bone from those original models. I really like the bone technique I use now. Being the first models I'd ever painted in fantasy, I painted the bone stark white with a black wash....

I threw together some new ones with copper armor at 'earlier stages' of verdigris (using the oxide technical paint). Some of them have weathered steel. The idea is they are from various time periods, but with the red and clean bone color to tie them together as a unit.

IMG_4706.JPG
    Personally, there is still a lot of detailing to be done on them but with the nice clean bone they are definitely tabletop standard at least.

For basing I've just been using "peanut butter" Vallejo textured brown earth then an agrax wash. Its a very simple and effective technique to create a textured dirt base. Some of it was done over older basing and with added bushes, cork rocks, gravestones, etc. as needed. I don't like bases with too much flare to take away from the models. There is still a lot I can learn in terms of basing techniques but this is working great for now.

2. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

Now that was a long time ago! In the meantime I even made that tutorial with photos ;) Well, it's good that it helped you at least a bit - and that verdigris looks great! Mixing it with normal rusted metal is a cool idea, looks definitely good! :thumbsup:

3. EternallyUndying

Expanding this to a full death plog.

Here are some cool shots of my custom grave guard:

IMG_1631.JPG IMG_1635.JPG IMG_1637.JPG IMG_1640.JPG
    IMG_1643.JPG
    They are mostly done but could use a little update now. I have been thinking a lot about redoing their weapons, this kind of came out as a sci-fi looking effect. Maybe just black - I've finally gotten to the point where I can paint black.

Here's my Vlad, I really enjoyed painting him:

IMG_1731.JPG IMG_1732.JPG
    IMG_1730.JPG

I'm working on painting a lot of stuff; Isabella, a Mortis engine, 5 blood knights, 6 spirit hosts, a banshee, a wraith, a necromancer conversion, a corpse cart, Nagash, a necrosphinx, my custom zombie dragon and 2 morghast archai - all at various stages of paint.

I'm also working on fixing 3 spirit hosts and 2 harbringers i got off someone, as well as building a coven throne, and I am going to get 5 more blood knights soon.

I'm also working on terrain since we are closing on a house soon so I will actually have room to have a table!

My father was annoyed when he was visiting, we played a couple games at my apartment but we had to use random BS as scenery - so he got me some legit scenery for a home table! I am painting an Ophidian Archway and a Balewind Vortex, and I also have some realmgates, 2 forests and a Magewrath Throne to build. I also want to order a Garden of Morr too because that is awesome for death scenery.

Once you get into painting scenery its hard to resist the beautiful buildings at http://www.tabletop-world.com/

4. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

Those grave guard are based on LotR models? They look really good. The green weapons are the same as I painted my Wights, so of course I'm in favour of leaving them as is... (though to be honest if I could face repainting all 70 of them I probably would!) I found that neatening up the green lines with thinned black paint and then giving the whole weapon a green wash gave nice results - I also found that it's easier to paint some weapon sculpts like this than others.

5. Borgnine

I am seconding Shadespyre on the blades - if you use green as a thin edge highlight, much more subtler, it could look heaps better. I never seen those bodies being used for GGs - the heads look relatively big, but's a minor thing and they definitely look cool. Red and green on them makes for a good contrasts - at least because of that I wouldn't give up on the colour green :)

I also never seen Vlad with full red armor and I woder why, you made him look really good in that scheme. But then maybe gems could be green? It would bind them thematically with the GGs.

6. EternallyUndying

@Borgnine @Shadespyre

OK I did a little bit of work on a few of them

IMG_4717.JPG
    The gradient green looks more "cursed" and less "neon laser"

Here is a size comparison
    IMG_4714.JPG
    LotR bodies are 10% smaller so you cant do much with them for conversions. I thought the heads looking bigger looks kind of cool actually. its more noticeable in a close up than it is on the table.

As for Vlad, I don't think I could paint the ring green. Maybe the 3 things at his waist. Probably should paint his cape green instead of purple, but I think hes pretty good as-is.

7. Borgnine

Yeah, it's much subtler now, I like it :thumbsup: And the size thing isn't that much noticeable, so it's all good. As for Vlad, I think that painting his cape green would be a bit overkill - as the saying goes "Red and green should never be seen without something in between" ;) That purple cape is good as it is in my opinion :thumbsup:

8. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

Nice. Better than mine, even :D

9. EternallyUndying

Working on my first terrain piece
    IMG_4719s.jpg

10. benvoliothefirst

benvoliothefirst Grave Guard

Very nice, looks like something right out of White Dwarf. I want a closeup of Isabella, the Maleficent hairdo is awesome!

11. EternallyUndying

@benvoliothefirst
    That's high praise!

Here's some shots of my game today. I don't want to give a close up till shes done. She was the first model I ever bought in fantasy. Been working to update her paint a bit.

isabella 2.jpg isabella1.jpg

12. Menkeroth

Menkeroth A Knight of Blood

Very good conversions, great work! And I especially like the dark-red of your color scheme!

13. Irisado

Irisado Ancient Vampire Lord Staff Member True Blood

Your vampiress looks fantastic. I can't wait to see the finished version with the close up pictures. I also really like the work you've put into that terrain feature.

14. Borgnine

Terrain is very well done, those colours work really well together ;) And the vampiress is really promising. Are those hair horns/that hairdo done in greenstuff, or are those some bits?

15. EternallyUndying

@Borgnine The horns comes from some metal warmachine model, I don't remember. I thought the model was cool but I couldn't think of any use for it as a proxy so I just cut her horns off and gave them to Isabella. The rest of her hair was done in greenstuff, really early, crude work but it looks pretty good.

My concept for vampires comes from this old MTG artwork. I love the stark white skin look.
    kovorkian_vampie.jpg

With Vlad I built it up from a brown, but still working toward a stark white look
    vl1.jpg
    Similar with my lord but, I didn't put a lot of effort into this one
    vl6.jpg
    Neferata I tried for the stark white, but the technique wasn't great here
    vl2.jpg
    With my Abhorrents I had a better technique but with a skin look for my FEC armies
    vl3.jpg
    vl4.jpg

Then there is Isabella, my first fantasy model. She came out kind of chalky but its kind of cool, like her face is not real, just an illusion of her vampire powers.
    vl7.jpg

Meanwhile, I finally managed to get one project to completion:
    IMG_4772.JPG
    it took me a lot of trial and error to come up with this spirit look. It's not amazing, but I like it. It doesn't quite look right in pictures. Since you can't do traditional translucent, white or black to create a spirit look, making spirits is a bit of a pita. I opted to go for a bright glow look instead, trying to avoid a "slimer" look. It is not that cool by itself, but really looks good against dark models on the table.
    hosts.jpg

This technique really looks awesome on the Mortis Engine, which I'm just finishing up now.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  16. EternallyUndying

Mortis Engine
    IMG_4809.JPG
    IMG_4799.JPG IMG_4800.JPG IMG_4808.JPG IMG_4803.JPG IMG_4805.JPG

17. EternallyUndying

18. Adam_Barrow

Adam_Barrow Sleepless Knight True Blood

Wow, the robes on your Engine necro are awesome! I think I missed those my first glance.

19. Menkeroth

Blood knights from the former dragon princes? Good idea! I've seen it before, looks quite good, though not ideal.

20. Theerteen

Theerteen Cheerful Cranium True Blood

Ouh, runes, noice. Reminds me of my own ME ;) Your ME is in a cool tone, sliiigthly too bright colours for my taste, but that does it's job to set in scene! A fitting piece of undead machinery. Did you use a pencil for the drawing in the book? That looks nice. And the Corpsemasters head swap reminds of the Adventure Time's Lich ;) @Adam_Barrow maybe had a similar thought? :D I kinda missed the red eyed Vampire Lady, those eyes turned out really cool! Damnit I missed out way too much the last times here.

Adam_Barrow likes this.
  21. Adam_Barrow

Adam_Barrow Sleepless Knight True Blood

The Lich is serious bidness, unless it's December when @Mad 'At insists on putting a Santa hat on him lol.

And great, now I want to convert the Lich somehow. Will my backlog never end?!

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Theerteen likes this.
  22. benvoliothefirst

benvoliothefirst Grave Guard

Keep posting this stuff, what great inspiration! I wonder what portion of Warhammer players are also once/future Magic: The Gathering players. I'd bet it's pretty high. Loved Quentin What's-His-Name, now I can only think of Tarantino. Hoover?

23. EternallyUndying

@Adam_Barrow
    Thanks, its my first attempt at using freehand with glazes. I need to bring out some of the top runes more to finish it.

@Menkeroth
    At $30 per box... its ideal. I have 10 now, 5 with lances and 5 new ones I made with swords. I can't deny that they could release some beautiful kit with vampire knights and it could look way cooler, but the chances of that happening are very low. Personally I like what I have done with this more than if I got the original kit.

IMG_4837.JPG

@Theerteen
    I was thinking about how its kind of bright and cartoonish rather than the kind of dark horror I usually like. But the only cool thing I can think of for a spectral color theme is to make "glowing" spirits. So this whole thing came out a little bright and colorful, but I figure as long as you commit to your colors it looks cool. Maybe a nice dark base will help.

I used a combination of black micron pen and freehand for the book. I think it needs a little more. At first I put red (blood) writing around the symbols but it was too busy and I took it out.

24. Menkeroth

Aye, you are right. I just mean that they look too elvish, so to speak, maybe they need more stuff from boxes like black knights or grave guard. And if you have them on the other side, like already a squadron of dragon blades, will they not be too similar? I, for one, much thought on this one, but hard to say for sure what suits best. There are also variants of stormcast cavalry, reiksguard and demigryphs, and maybe also chaos knights. But great work anyway, you just need more skulls, bat wings and blood on them!

25. Borgnine

I see you are not sitting idle :) You've got some really good technique on that ME, only the colours used seem a bit chaotic for me - the corpsemaster is blue, flames on the skeletons are purple, ghosts are green and the lanterns are orange - but that is probably my own preference speaking - it works well as a whole when I look at that big picture of it :)
    Good work on those blood knights too! I didn't see those for a long time here :) Black and red is as awesome as always. BTW, original blood knights seem to have disappeared form the GW site, maybe we are getting new ones soon?