1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

The Fleshy Flesh Court of Flesh-Eaters (plus other undead!)

Discussion in 'The Dead Shall Walk......' started by EternallyUndying, Jun 12, 2016.

1. EternallyUndying

EternallyUndying Black Knight

@Borgnine
    I've been doing a lot of stuff. I'm basically taking all the death I've bought in the last 4 years and trying to bring it to 110% completion. I threw in a second kit of blood knights because they are really good in AoS, but mainly I'm focusing on finishing all the death I have already. I'm making scenery for the first time since I'll now be able to have a dedicated table at my new house. If that's not enough, I'm also making a Genestealer Cults kill team to try out Shadow Wars: Armageddon. I just learned about AoS28, and in the spirit of that I'm also going to work to improve some of my cool custom heroes, though they are mostly death models.

The mortis engine is kind of crazy and cartoonish. My concept for spirits is a bright, glowy look which is a contrast to the dark, dreary look that usually looks good on death. What I was going for here was just basic cold colors - green, purple, blue. I had to tone down the fire actually, It was that bright flame color which turned it into the focus of the model, which I wanted to be the spirits. The reliquary is red, but you cant see it anyway. The lantern is fire but that's just a small detail so it doesn't really ruin the flow of the model, and you can't even see it most of the time. Personally I feel like if you commit to your colors (paint them in multiple shades and make them look great) It doesn't really matter if it fits into the most optimal color wheel of whats most pleasing to the eye. But this Mortis Engine kind of got out of control and It is not my favorite in terms of theme, but its cool as a "bright explosion of glowing spirits" look.

For my first blood knights, I kept them pretty standard but I gave them some cool sword placements and a few capes. I've also now given the Kastellan a big cool shield. I don't think they look "elfy" at all, other than a few jewels you can clip off, and the cone heads - which are overshadowed by the "bat wings". The armor matches what you see on the vampire models almost exactly. The lore of Blood Knights - originally 'dragon knights' turned into vampires - fits the kit. Seriously, it looks like it was developed as a new blood knight kit then they decided that it would sell better as a high elf kit, made it look 5% more elfish then sold it as as HE instead. For my second group I made them look more vampire like with custom heads and sinister curved blades, and I plan to add some green stuff details to seal the deal.

Blood knights are still available if you search for them directly. They are online only. If they release a new blood knight kit, well then I'll probably put these away and buy 3 boxes of the new ones and I will be so happy I wont likely care.

2. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

Love the colours you've been using here, makes a nice change from the usual suspects. I also totally agree that the Dragon knights work well as Vampires - otherwise I wouldn't have painted 15 of them for my own army...

EternallyUndying likes this.
  3. Sharkbelly

Sharkbelly Wight King

Man, I love the color scheme of this army. Dark and creepy, but pops off the table. Great work.

4. Farmer7574

Farmer7574 Vampire Count True Blood

@EternallyUndying I'm not a big fan of the Isabella Von Carstein mini but your simple head swap has given me a whole new way of seeing her. Simple yet cool.

Great ME too, a walk off the beaten path for your army in terms of colour, but that green stands out well and should fit in beautifully with the rest of your army, Great work.

5. Kassill

Kassill Ghoul

Sorry if it was stated already, but what bare heads did you use for the Blood Knights?

Great plog all around! :konrad:

6. EternallyUndying

Coven throne, tree revenant, daemonette, sister of slaughter, and one from the normal kit. Might replace that one. My stupid cat broke my standard too, I might have to replace that.

I haven't been working on my death because I've caught a bit of Nurgle..

Kassill likes this.
  7. EternallyUndying

IMG_5361.JPG IMG_5315.JPG IMG_5324.JPG IMG_5325.JPG IMG_5326.JPG IMG_5343.JPG IMG_5358.JPG

July 2017 AoS Tournament at Games Workshop

8. EternallyUndying

IMG_5542.JPG IMG_5543.JPG IMG_5547.JPG

1000pt Death vs Duradin

9. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

Great pictures! Neferata looking menacingly on those stunties and getting ready to attack on the last one really takes the cake! I hope they got back to where they crawled from xD

10. EternallyUndying

@Borgnine
    Yeah I like that pic too. I have some similar ones from LVO 2017. Its easy to take cool shots of her looming over her prey.

The cannons just barley took out Neferata before her third turn. All the ghouls and Macabre-boosted skeletons were able to tear through the dwarf infantry but he had the advantage of cannon v monster. In the end, there was nothing left alive except a few bloodied dwarfs and their cannons.

I haven't been doing a lot of death because I was pulled into the chaos with Nurgle.

Nurgle_sized.jpg IMG_5178.JPG IMG_5408.JPG IMG_5685.JPG

BTW - I have really been doing some awesome work with green stuff with my new tools. Thanks so much for the tip!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  11. Borgnine

Your Nurgle dudes look seriously awesome! I love all the rotten colour variations on their bodies and how vibrant those special effects are, truly terrific work. Probably still not a good excuse to leave poor undeads alone ;) JK. I'm glad those sculpting tools helped ;)

12. EternallyUndying

Death Guard mostly transitioned me into fantasy Nurgle. It's a bit frustrating because the rules are really unpolished for Nurgle Daemons in AoS. I picked up the Glottkin but my motivation is very low for Nurgle. If the new Death Guard book allows for good rules for fielding marines with daemons, I'll likely get more into it. That and some new daemon models.

Meanwhile I finally got back into my neglected Skaven, and started this blog:

http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/10678-the-alabaster-cult-aka-clean-skaven

With new faction rules for Flesh Eaters, Nighthaunt and Soulblight coming in the next few weeks, along with a Deathrattle tome and possibly a new army in the works (Katophranes of Shadespire) ... I'm sure to get back into death very soon.

13. EternallyUndying

Prototype for Armies on Parade. I've never made a display board, this would be my first AoP.

IMG_6324.JPG

14. Nagash Worshiper

Nagash Worshiper Black Knight

Oh! An epic last stand! Very cool idea for a diorama!

15. Theerteen

Theerteen Cheerful Cranium True Blood

Very nice indeed. A great atmospheric setting!

16. Borgnine

A real Armies on Parade? That's so cool! The idea and the execution are very good. Those guys in the middle, those are sigmarines?

17. EternallyUndying

There's a few of my custom Stormcast Eternals, the Wardens of the Dusklight. I put a Knight-Questor, a Retributor prime and a Liberator Prime back-to-back in the middle. There is also a Lord-Relictor watching from the archway and in the back will be a lost Lord Castellant with his Gryph-hound. Surrounding the stormcast in the middle will be pretty much every death model and terrain which I have painted 100%. The main thing I have to work on is finishing the zombie dragon and the mausoleum terrain, and I have 40 more ghouls I'd like to add if I can get them done in time.

IMG_6325.JPG IMG_6329.JPG

My board progress is going well. I'm covering it with metal so that everything on the board will be magnetized. I have it primed and sprayed brown, next I'm going to cover it in texture paint and start to make it look like a landscape.

IMG_6399.JPG IMG_6407.JPG IMG_6413.JPG

18. Nagash Worshiper

Nagash Worshiper Black Knight

And on top of it all it's going to be magnetized ;) amazing work!

19. Borgnine

Now that I see that Stormcast up close, he's looking really good too! And that gryph-hound and the pattern on its skin, really nice work.

How big is that board?

20. EternallyUndying

@Borgnine
    2x2, max size for Armies on Parade. I was talking with the local GW manager and he said last year there was so many tables that it took up the whole store. I 'm looking forward to see what armies there are for fantasy this year. I'm doing a lot of work to get the board looking nice and to paint up as many models as I can fit on here.

Heres some shots of the Mausoleum walls:
    IMG_6471.JPG IMG_6448.JPG

Here's some shots from today's game:

IMG_6529.JPG IMG_6577.JPG IMG_6573.JPG

21. EternallyUndying

Full Garden of Morr/Sigmarite Mausoleum done! It was some speed paint/dry brushing but it came out great.

IMG_6646.JPG

22. Borgnine

Even if it's just a drybrush, it looks great :) Besides, drybrush is a perfectly good method for a dry stone ;) Those patina-copper roofs are just fantastic!

23. Theerteen

Theerteen Cheerful Cranium True Blood

Yep, just can agree, the buildings and structures look fantastic, I hope to get my hands on some of them too, but atm I'm facing the problem of too less storage space :slapface:

24. EternallyUndying

IMG_6813.JPG IMG_6819.JPG IMG_6814.JPG IMG_6815.JPG IMG_6817.JPG IMG_6816.JPG

Attached Files:

25. EternallyUndying

Speed Painting Ghouls
    Ghoul_Paint_Stages.png

1. Rakarth
    2. Kislev
    3. Fleshshade (wash)
    4. flayed one (drybrush)
    5. dryad bark + leadbelcher on weapons
    6. Vallejo Brown Earth base
    7. Agrax (wash) on everything other than skin