1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

The games thread - No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'The Mortal's Realm' started by robtion, Aug 15, 2014.

1. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

2. najo

najo Mortarch of the Dark Soul Staff Member True Blood

I'm absolutely in love with the souls series and am all over this when it comes out. I will likely be buying a PS4 just for this game :tongue:

3. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

You have good taste then, and nerves of steel. If I didn't have a ps4 I could definitely see buying one for this game, it looks so good, very much my sort of thing.

Lords of the fallen is another Souls clone but is apparently looking pretty good and will be releasing late October 2014.

4. najo

najo Mortarch of the Dark Soul Staff Member True Blood

Thank you! You have good taste as well. I've played more dark souls than I should admit! Got all the achievements for DS1 and 2. Did the no bon fire run on DS2. I didn't use a walk through and ended up bound to the bonfire in the undead crypt and had to run all the way from there, through the demon of song area and back through the castle then to the keep. That took all day in its own, talking about torture. Oh, yeah ... Online too :tongue: got invaded most of it lol. Ds1 I played to death. Even had a sl1 pyro who made it through to four kings!

5. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

6. Count michael

Count michael The Undead Sparky

Damn this looks good, I love the gothic horror vibe it has :happy: so glad I have a PS4 now to try and wait patiently for it

7. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

8. Get of W'soran

Get of W'soran CN's Lord of Masks True Blood TVC II GM

Shadows of Mordor looks like it's going to be great! The review scores were surprisingly high :D

9. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

It does indeed. I have had my eye on it since it was announced, the nemesis system and characterful orcs look cool. I have it pre-ordered on my ps4 so just a day or two and I will be playing it :happy:

10. Get of W'soran

I have it pre-ordered from a while back for my xbox one (I have a PS4 and PC too so I sorta just randomly chose a platform tbh).

Sadly I'm UK so I won't get it til the 3rd :(

11. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

@Get of W'soran I'm in Australia but I have a US account on my ps4 in addition to my Aus account. Doesn't release until 8th Oct in Aus so I bought it on my US account and can play on 30th Sept. Also a lot cheaper to buy at US prices than Aus price so its win win for me ;)

12. Bullhax

Bullhax Vampire Count True Blood

As of now this is the best way to buy games to the PS4. I bet you aussies save even more than we do but even getting the game a couple of days early it's a win.. Don't think it will last forever but right now this is very nice.

Both games look really good money and time is a bit tight so I'll wait for now.

13. Get of W'soran

Never did this with my ps4, did it with the xbox one though. :tongue:

But I bought this game on Amazon, I wanted the two amazon ruins lmao.

14. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

@Bullhax Yep, definitely saves some $$$ :happy:
    I know what you mean about money and time I never have enough of either.
    True, it may not last forever but I have been doing it for the last 7 years with my ps3 and it hasn't changed yet so?

@Get of W'soran That's great that the xb1 is region free as the Xbox and 360 weren't. I will probably pick up an x1 in a year or two once there are enough exclusives on it to make it worthwhile for me (that's what I did with the last 2 xboxes). I got mine on psn to play early but also as it comes with a couple of exclusive missions/orc warbands ;)

15. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

Decided to raise this thread back to unlife with what I'm currently playing.

Shadow of Mordor is excellent by the way for anyone who hasn't heard by now, super fun combat and great orcs with personality. I can't help but feel that the domination/mind control aspects of the game would work so well in a vampire based game. Bending enemies to one's will never gets old.

An overlooked gem Styx Master of Shadows sees you playing as a stealthy goblin. At a budget price it is an easy recommendation to fans of stealth, particularly the Tenchu series or Thief. See link for an in depth review/summary, though the score they gave is a little high.

Link: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/10/07/review-styx-master-of-shadows/110051/

Finally Alien Isolation is amazing and a must play NOW for any fan of the original 1979 movie. It perfectly recreated the atmosphere and extreme tension of the film and is a fun yet stressful/tense experience for those with patience.

16. Get of W'soran

Shadows of mordor is a lot of fun :D The nemesis system rules.

Alien Isolation is amazing too and the crew expendable DLC is fun as well. I love the 70's/80's sci-fi vibe.

17. Count michael

Yeah shadow of Mordor looks pretty awesome as well as Alien Isolation, I've been playing destiny which has been quite fun don't understand the hate for it people just seemed to over hype it

One game I've been really looking forward to has been The Evil Within a nice survival horror theme that game creator Shinji Mikami is famed for that it look pretty good

Also after failing miserably at the silent hill demo I've been interested in how the full game will turn out

18. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

@Get of W'soran Yeah I haven't tried crew expendable yet as I want to finish the campaign first to avoid spoilers for weapons etc. Great game though.

@Count michael Yes I have had my eye on The Evil Within (Psychoooo Breakuuu...) for a long time and have it paid for. Unfortunately doesn't release for another 2 days in Australia but I am looking forward to it. I loved Resi 4 back on ps2 so this should be great.

19. Get of W'soran

I want to get Evil Within but I'm a colossal coward with horror games :(

20. Count michael

Come on @Get of W'soran that just makes it so you enjoy it even more

@robtion my pre-order of the game turned up in the mail and I am really loving it and even creepier version of Res4 with sort of the same game mechanics. You come to both love and hate the multiple booby traps, hate when you accidentally set one off dying in a gore filled demise after not seeing the trigger, though luring the enemies into them can really save your life especially if you are out of bullets. I would say it is a cross between Res4 with the survival horror vibe with limited ammo but multiple enemies spliced with a very psychological horror vibe of silent hill in the good old days. The stealth/ hiding is extremely great as sneaking up on the baddies is a vital way of dealing with enemies with out being swarmed by the other enemies hiding nearby plus it is the only way of avoiding a messy decapitation from the traps you blundered into

I love this game though it's not for faint hearted as the brutal deaths make you cringe, I doubt I'll be sleeping for a while as I'm jumping at my own shadow after playing this game

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  21. Get of W'soran

I've heard bad things, mostly to do with the game runnning poorly on all platforms (Console and PC). Is it true?

22. Count michael

huh seems to run pretty good for me no lag, glitches or anything weird and I have a PS4 so wouldn't know? Maybe its only having problems on PC. Apparently people are complaining about the camera but I have no issues as I think the camera style really suits it

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  23. Get of W'soran

It was reported on all platforms but it was also mostly coming from some gaming sites and those sort of forums are invested with ungodly amounts of whine :tongue: Glad to hear it doesn't seem to be so

That's another one for the list...now to decide which console to get it on...

24. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

@Count michael Yes I agree with you on The Evil Within, awesome game. I'm at the end of chapter 5 currently dealing with Spider lady. I have died a lot, that chainsaw guy gave me some trouble. I love the gameplay mechanics and atmosphere, great balance between stealth and shooting.

@Get of W'soran Here is an article giving a thorough breakdown of the technical issues. PS4 has the better console version as has been the case with all 3rd party games this gen due to it's stronger hardware.

Link:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-evil-within-face-off

Having an xb1 will you be picking up Sunset Overdrive? Looks good and Insomniac are great developers. Let us know how it is if you are planning on it ;)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  25. Count michael

@robiton I know that creepy spider chick freaked the bejesus out of me (There is more than one chainsaw guy and each one is a pain especially the first chapter), I find that utilising the multitude of traps around can help give an advantage against both normal enemies as well as boss monsters plus being able to use the trap pieces to craft crossbow ammo is especially good (the fire bolts are a godsend against spider chick and the large hordes of zombies)

That link doesn't seem to work?