1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

The Summonings of von Rosentod - Updated 2017-06-03

Discussion in 'The Dead Shall Walk......' started by von Rosentod, Apr 6, 2012.

1. von Rosentod

von Rosentod Zombie

After a few years of dreaming of an undead army lead by mighty vampires, the project has finally began to take shape. Some years ago (2009) I wanted to take a little break from my first army, the High Elves, started in 2004. It came to a tough choice between Skaven and Vampire Counts, and Skaven won that time. This was because of diversity - a few people in my group already had their undead armies, and no one played Skaven.

It was not a choice I regret, not even now after some 5000 pts. But I still felt the hunger...

In between Skaven and now rose a two other armies, one of the Space Orks – the Mighty Waaagh!! of Warboss 'Urghnould and his right hand Mek Guy 'Vurr, and an Eored of the Rohirrim. Not one of these armies can be considered ”complete” or finished. But once I can't say I would likely use something in a reasonably sized game, I think it's time for something new.

A year ago I did my first skellington purchase. ”If it won't become an army”, I thought, ” I could always use them in Stom of Magic – or as slaves.” Soon after the release of the new army book, it came into my hands. Recently I added a few Dire Wolves – perhaps changing the thematic a bit from what I have originally intended. Now I await some Zombies. Here I will present to you the growth of this project, which, hopefully, will result in an army to which there is nothing I could add that I would be likely to use in reasonably sized games.

This is the Rise of von Rosentod!

(My first army blog! Yay!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

First I will show you the progress I have made this far. It is only a small choice of models to help me decide on the colour scheme of my army. First of which is Skellington Very-much-no, Fun but... no:

[attachment=1637]

This was just one made for laughs at some point. It could look rather nice an army though, if properly painted? I also considered, rather seriously, a neon green skeleton army. However, the final result is this:

[attachment=1638]
    [attachment=1639]
    [attachment=1640]
    [attachment=1641]

My aim is a risen army of the Empire, possibly usable as such at some later point. Not necessarily all units will bear the mark of the Reich but the overall tone will be set by this. What do you think about the colours? My later miniatures have turned a bit more blue-ish, and less turquise, still mixing in rather well. I'll show you more pictures of them soon.

Also finished are my first Dire Spiders. These were originally intended as mounts for my Gretchin. (What rules they would have used I do not know – Kommandos?) I figured soon that they would fit in with the horror theme.

[attachment=1642]
    [attachment=1643]

This is it this far. I hope I am soon able to show you pictures of some more wolves and some zombies.

Attached Files:

• a.JPG
      a.JPG
      File size:
      313.2 KB
      Views:
    • d.JPG
      d.JPG
      File size:
      307.5 KB
      Views:
    • e.JPG
      e.JPG
      File size:
      280.2 KB
      Views:
    • f.JPG
      f.JPG
      File size:
      177.4 KB
      Views:
    • g.JPG
      g.JPG
      File size:
      168.9 KB
      Views:
    • b.JPG
      b.JPG
      File size:
      190.2 KB
      Views:
    • c.JPG
      c.JPG
      File size:
      364 KB
      Views:
  2. Malikos

Malikos Ghoul

RE: The Summonings of von Rosentod

Those look amazing. Great work!

3. Rav3nKing

Rav3nKing Zombie

Very nice indeed! The colours tie the units together extremely well :)

Interestingly, I was only thinking about using the gobbo spiders myself this very afternoon.. Spooky.. :|

4. Johnny-Crass

Johnny-Crass Moderator Staff Member True Blood

Fantastic I love the Skellies!

5. Santawraith

Santawraith Moderator Staff Member True Blood

I think you should enter your dire spiders into the orc and goblin to undead challenge in dying to help.

I love the idea and have almost done it myself a few times. Always wanted to do the big spider into the undead too.

The blues look great, I love the cooler themed armies, just because they are so vastly differing from my own.

6. von Rosentod

von Rosentod Zombie

The Summonings of von Rosentod - (U: 14 April)

Than you guys! I'm looking forward to see a larger force together so you can get a grasp of the actual colours. Perhaps the zombies will gice som more insight, but that will take some time...

That was my first concept - cool colours. Part because blues are in none of my armies, part because of the chilling eerieness I want to give the army. My intention was initally to make the army quite alot darker, but after some attempts. I got the impression the bone would drown in the cloth and changed to this. But it seems to work. I am not sure how close to turqoise I should go, if at all... But, time will tell.

And, thanks to you Santawraith, I have finished my movement tray for the Dire Spiders:

[attachment=1671]
    [attachment=1672]

And I'll add them to Undead Challenge! :)

Next week on saturday (21.4) my gaming group will play the summer season end of Blood in the Badlands. I have had som spruce trees made from pipe cleaners half finished, and with a designated wooden plate. But now I will finally finish them! How they look this far.

[attachment=1669]
    [attachment=1670]

Also some progress on the five other spiders, what do you think about the green to separate them from each other? The creature riding will indicate the champion. Here also the red is probably a no go, as it will be reserved for characters...

[attachment=1673]
    [attachment=1674]

Attached Files:

7. von Rosentod

von Rosentod Zombie

RE: The Summonings of von Rosentod - (U: April 14 th)

Following the colour scheme I found in Generals Compendium I now have my first batch of zombies! :---)

I'm growing quite fond of the blues, but this time it looks a bit too much like Zombie Apocalypse on the Avatar planet... :/

[attachment=1709][attachment=1710]

And the same pics with links (a little experiment ;) ):
    http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/131/6/9/zombies__by_poisontail-d4zcmh4.jpg

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/131/6/2/zombies__by_poisontail-d4zcmo2.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Santawraith

Santawraith Moderator Staff Member True Blood

RE: The Summonings of von Rosentod - Zombies @ May 10th

Errr, I wasn't going to say that, but since you did say it first...
    If I may make a suggestion, tone it down a bit. Do a take off of my ghouls using the dark blue skin as is for the base, drybrush space wolves grey (etherium grey in the new dry paint) and wash it with flesh.

Oh! I love the green on the spiders, by the way :D

9. Cthulhu

Cthulhu Grave Guard

I really like your army! Great vibrant colors you have achieved. I think the zombies are awesome as they are, unique and striking. Keep it up! :)

10. von Rosentod

von Rosentod Zombie

Thank you! I actually had to take a look at the army as a whole, and I think I like it. I have always been fond of bright army colours *takes a the mob of boys in pink and turqoise at the table* and this seems to do the trick. That's where the green in the spiders would come. But I'm not so sure about them...

Here's what the army looks like right now (blurry picture, but it will have to do for now):
    [attachment=1722]

It is nice to see an army take shape. The progress is rather slow, and this time I want to consider and enjoy every step. Usually I throw myself in and let the army grow as it wants. This happend to my Orks. Suddenly I just had an Aporkalypse. But I think one misses something just rushing in? What do you think?
    --------------------------------------------------

The other day it hit me - I have the perfect Varghulf waiting for me:
    [attachment=1723][attachment=1724]
    Now it doesn't have to gather dust in wait for Storm of Magic games.

Also: A knight has been started on:
    [attachment=1726][attachment=1725]

And the zombies finished. Just their movement tray left. I don't think they got too blue after all. But the next mob of rotting flesh might be slightly different.
    [attachment=1727]

I tried to do a few with about those colours, Santawraith. But it didn't end up like I wanted. I think that is because of my painting techniques. With these zombies I tried drybrushing techniques, instead of the blending I usually work with. The resulting technique was something in between. But it worked out all right...

-------------------------------------------------

C&C is always welcome!

Attached Files:

11. Mad 'At

Mad 'At Dumb enough to work Staff Member True Blood

Nice diamond patter on the horse's barding :thumbsup:

Great colours aswell.

12. Brahm Tazoul

Brahm Tazoul Wight King

Life is too short for small pictures... make 'em bigger! (I know, I'm lazy...)

I DID look at the nightmares and agree with Mad 'At; looks great!

Brahm

13. Infernal Skull

Infernal Skull Wight King

Very nice army! Looking forward to seeing the finished Black Knights.

14. von Rosentod

von Rosentod Zombie

It's alive! After a few years of a standstill the undead are again restless. (Thanks to the return to the 6th/7th editions of the game.)

Without further ado, here's what happened (clicking the image-link takes you to my blog):
    [​IMG]

The army is actually a solid 1250 points of 6th edition Vampire Counts. I am looking to turn this into more of a risen Empire army, and the Storm of Chaos Sylvania rules seems to be perfect for that. That said, I hope to add a unit of Skeleton Crossbowmen to the units available - and some Greatsword G-Guard - not too far into the future.

15. von Rosentod

von Rosentod Zombie

Another addition, now more Kings-of-War-y. Three Wights that are to become Barry Whites as I finish the last three of them. (Click the image to get to my blog, with a few more images and the paint recipe.)

[​IMG]

16. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

Good to see another plog rising again ;) Ghouls look properly wretched and those blue pieces of cloth really pop amongst all the dull browns - and that subdued basing really enhances that :thumbsup: And those giant wights are terrific! Green and blue works great together and those NMM scythes are very good accents on them. Patterns on the robes would be probably my favorite pieces though ;) Keep it up, we are waiting for more!

17. Farmer7574

Farmer7574 Vampire Count True Blood

@von Rosentod Really vivid blues & greens on those wights, they stand out nicely.

18. Nagash Worshiper

Nagash Worshiper Black Knight

Very nice painting there! Love the chess pattern on the leftmost wraith! The black and blue works very well