1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Thundergods recap in Bristol in the UK

Discussion in 'Legacies of Blood' started by Eternal flitter, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Eternal flitter

Eternal flitter Ghoul

So been a while since I posted anything, but last weekend I went to Thundergods, a 5 game, lightly comped, 2400 pt tournament on the 20-0 system. I was using a list similar to the one that Pirate has been putting down, and it was this:

Vampire lord lvl 1 (Vampires) General, Heavy armour, Shield, Barded nightmare, Ogre blade, Talisman of protection, The other Trickster’s shard, Red fury, Quickblood 433
    Vampire lord lvl 4 (Vampires), Shield, Lance, Barded nightmare, Armour of destiny, Dispel scroll, Red fury, Aura of Dark Majesty, Potion of Strength, Luckstone 537
    Wight king, Great weapon, Barded skeletal steed, Nightshroud, Ironcurse Icon and Dragonbane gem 160
    5 Dire wolves 40
    5 Dire wolves 40
    5 Dire wolves 40
    5 Dire wolves 40
    39 Skeleton warriors, Full command 225
    39 Skeleton warriors, Full command 225
    10 Black knights, Full command, Banner of swiftness, Barding, 285
    3 Vargheists, Vargoyle 148
    Terrorgheist 225
    Total: 2400

So lists were closed for this one which I don’t like as much as having everything out there to begin with, but anyhoo you make do!

Game 1: Chaos dwarfs

The only player running them in the field and a nice enough guy all told. Since lists were closed I don’t have them to hand so from memory his list was this:

Lvl 4 Sorcerer prophet on death with a 4++ and bits

Lvl 2 Daemonsmith on fire with a scroll
    Dark castellan BSB

2 x 20 odd hobgoblins with FC
    25 odd Infernal guard with FC and fireglaives
    25 odd Infernal guard with FC and blunderbusses

Magma cannon
    Hellbound Iron daemon

K’daii destroyer

To be honest going into this I was pretty upbeat, since I assumed I would be able to leave the destroyer alone and kill the rest of his list before dealing with it at the end.
    First scenario was battleline and from my left to right he deployed the destroyer, the iron daemon, magma cannon with daemonsmith (last three on a hill), hobgoblins, blunderbuss guard with bsb, fireglaive guard with lvl 4 and finally the second unit of hobgoblins.
    Mine was wolves fairly equally spread along the 12” line with vargs opposite the magma cannon, the bus fairly central, T-bat on its left to perhaps threaten the destroyer and the skeleton bricks either side to either occupy the destroyer or grind out the hobgoblins.
    Spells for me were invoc on the general, and on the lvl 4: invoc, vanhels, raise dead and hellish vigour. His fire mage got cloak and fireball while his level 4 ended up with purple sun among others.

I got first turn, and advanced with everything, with my bus needing little to get into his general’s unit, the vargs setting up an easy turn 2 charge into the magma cannon and some of the wolves redirecting the destroyer safely into a position where it would be vulnerable to the T-bat. Magic sees me raise a fresh zombie unit of ~12 models in charge range of his hobgoblins on the left. His first turn saw the destroyer charge the wolves and some small adjustments for chaff clearing. Magic does little but his shooting manages to remove the T-bat in a single round with fire from the iron daemon: 10 S6 D3 wound shots will do that as it turns out. Still, could be worse…

Turn 2 sees the bus go flying into the fireglaive guard, vargs into the magma cannon and wolves and the new zombies into the left hand hobgoblins. Don’t remember what I got off magic wise but anyway the magma cannon died, the hobgoblins lost the combat but held with their bsb re-roll and the Infernal guard were steadfast and held. My general managed to push through 2 wounds on his however. His turn 2 and the K’daai turns to guarantee a turn 3 charge into my left hand skeleton unit, whilst the blunderbuss guard with no targets reform to face the bus when it breaks the general’s unit to make sure they get their stand and shoot. Magic, he rolls big enough and cuts to the chase: 6 dice purple sun, double 6s and then the full 30” travel as well. I’m not too concerned as I still have plenty of knights, but still. Look out sirs passed on all but the level 4. OK sweating for this one and yep you guessed it a 6 for the I test and the 500 pt vampire goes bye bye. Along with a handful of knights and 28 skeletons. Saving grace was that the sorcerer prophet died in the miscast but some small consolation for the damage done.
    Shooting is poor from him just killing the one vargheist with the iron daemon. Following that the infernal guard are wiped out to a man, the hobgoblins nearby panic on their awful Ld and the other hobgoblins clean up the zombies before turning to face the vargheists.

My turn 3 and it’s all pretty clear cut now, the bus goes into the bsb’s unit, the right hand skeletons force the fleeing hobgoblins off the table and the vargs go into the hobgoblins on the left. I believe he dispels invoc from my general and the infernal guard start flying through the air, the BSB dies but he holds on steadfast. The vargs win combat but the hobgoblins hold. His turn and the destroyer goes into the left hand skeletons, no magic to speak of, nor any shooting and he tramples my skeletons to a man, the infernal guard are wiped out and the hobgoblins are run down.

My turn 4 and it’s pretty close. I decide, wrongly as it turns out, to charge the daemonsmith rather than the iron daemon, he flees a paltry 3” and I catch him before reforming to face the behemoth. The vargs set up to go into the ID next turn as well. The remaining skeletons reform to face the destroyer since they are now completely stranded and may as well face the damn thing. He dispels invoc and that’s my turn. The destroyer charges the other brick and the iron daemon rolls another 10 shots to delete all the remaining black knights… Many skeletons are crushed.

Turn 5: the ogre blade VL, wight king and 2 remaining vargs go into the ID, some wounds are put on it, I can’t remember how many, and the destroyer finishes off the skeletons. They manage to wound it though and I was well chuffed with that. Destroyer reforms to face the vargs. He tries to charge them in his turn 5 but fails.

Turn 6 he fails his charge again into the vargs and it all comes down to whether or not I can put the last few wounds on the Iron daemon… He’s down to 1 of his 8 wounds left when it comes to the wight king to swing: needing 6s to wound he gets one on the damn thing. With the last roll of the game my opponent makes his 6+ armour and it’s a very bloody 10-10.

As I said at the start my opponent was a great guy to play, but in all honesty the purple sun was flukey and I tried to not let my slightly salty feeling show through during the game. Couldn't help feeling like I should have come away with more at the end, but ultimately I mostly got it right but the dice didn't play ball the whole way, still not complaining

Next game maybe tomorrow: Daemons of Chaos!

2. luntan

luntan Zombie

Nice battlereport.
    Purple sun is the counter to our deathstars, without it the CD player would have almost no chance to win the game. Now he could draw the game.

Looking forward to read the rest of the reports!

3. Eternal flitter

Eternal flitter Ghoul

Cheers Luntan, great to get some feedback!

Game 2: Daemons of Chaos

His list from memory:

Level 4 Great unclean one on Lore of death, greater gift (I think)
    Level 4 Lord of change on Lore of metal, greater gift

4 x 10 Pink horrors w/ standard and musician
    2 x 1 beasts of nurgle

2 x 4 plague drone w/ standard
    Skillcannon

So this is horrible for anyone to face. I’ll say right now that the report on this game will be shorter than the last one. In essence one of the horror units rolls up infernal gateway and the lord of change gets final trans. I have to try and get points so I put everything on the line: this one was blood and glory so everything was fairly close to start with.

So my opponent gets first turn and basically gets the lord of change into range on my bus. In the ensuing magic phase he casts final trans with IF and kills maybe half the knights and manages to pick off the wight king too. The skull cannon knocks a couple of wounds off the T-bat. My first turn and already I’m staring down the barrel since the bus is going to have to weather another turn of magic at least before it hits combat. To add insult to injury I roll a grand total of 3 power dice in my phase meaning no invoc on the knights.

His turn two and his lord of change manages a fairly long charge into the T-bat, while some of my chaff is either charged or ignored by the plague drones. His magic and he gets enough dice. One 6 dice IF infernal gateway later and there goes the bus leaving the characters stranded with no real viable charges next turn either now. Essentially that’s game at this point: the remainder of battle sees the vargs pick up a unit of horrors before they get obliterated by the skull cannon and the plague drones munched my skeletons before catching and killing my lords.

So clearly a 20-0 loss but still since the scenario was blood and glory the final score was possibly the largest margin of victory I’ve ever seen (breaking your opponent first was worth 500 VPs): 165-3050!

So we’ll forget about this one and move on shall we? (Although feel free to chime in with opinions about this match-up, I personally think I got deployment wrong but he always had a drop on me anyway… a tough one in any case.)

Game three: High elves

From memory again:

Loremaster general w/ Book of Hoeth

Noble bsb w/ stuff

10 Archers w/ musician
    30 odd sea guard w/ full command
    2 x 5 ellyrian reavers w/ musician

25 ish Phoenix guard w/ full command and razor standard
    25ish white lions w/ full command and banner of the world dragon

2 x great eagle
    Frost heart phoenix
    3 x eagle claw bolt thrower

So after the previous round this was the pick me up I was looking for, essentially the list that mine was built to dismantle, but even so, if you get it wrong and end up facing both combat bricks at the same time you can get yourself in a pickle.
    Onto spells: I rolled up Invoc, Vanhels, Hellish vigour and raise dead on the level 4 and gaze of Nagash on my general. If I had picked the spells I had wanted I would have picked those to be honest…

So deployment and the board: A large impassable terrain piece on my left flank against the short edge of the board, a wood (venom thicket) just outside my deployment zone in the middle were th two most notable features. From my left to right he deployed: reavers (next to the impassable), frostheart phoenix, phoenix guard (loremaster), eagle, white lions + bsb (one bolt thrower behind these), eagle, reavers and then a gap before a second bolt thrower, the sea guard, archers and a bolt thrower deploy on the right flank. On my part, 3 units of wolves on the left on the 12” line, the bus opposite the phoenix guard with a unit of skeletons either side, the T-bat just to the right of the bus, while the vargs and the remaining unit of wolves were on the right.

I got first turn and all but the wolves on the right had vanguarded their full 12”. Movement saw everything go forward as fast as possible: the bus being now 11/12” from the phoenix guard at most whilst the white lions are around the 16/17” mark still in the front as it stands. On the right the vargs move up to threaten the archers and bolt thrower. Magic sees gaze go off and chip a wound off an eagle. In his turn 1 he flies an eagle to redirect the bus into the path of the white lions, aside from the other eagle and some reavers moving up the centre his line hardly moved. Magic was insignificant for him but shooting saw only a varg die from the combined fire of the bolt thrower, and archers. The other bolt throwers failed to hit the T-bat.

Turn 2 and I declared a charge with my right-hand skeleton block against the pesky eagle: he held to keep blocking the bus, the vargheists charged the archers and both died before they could strike due to stand and shoot and ASF. In remaining moves the bus was able to quick reform around the eagle and end up a few inches from the phoenix guard, some wolves were attempting to keep its right flank clean from the lions but it was touch and go whether it would be well placed enough. The T-bat was sat behind the bus. In my magic I rolled fairly high and managed to push through bubble vanhels to end up an inch from the phoenix guard and the wolves were now putting the white lions well out of the game for a turn. Gaze also went off killing 4 out of 5 reavers on the left. (The end of this phase was the moment where I knew I should win the game really). The T-bat screamed off the eagle fighting the skellies. His second turn and the frostheart and phoenix guard charged the bus while the white lions charged the redirecting wolves. Reavers and eagles starting cleaning up wolves in the centre and right flank. Again his poor loremaster failed to cast anything meaningful and shooting was ineffectual. In close combat many phoenix guard die and a few wounds go on the frostheart. In return a wound goes onto my general from the frostheart and the wight king takes a wound. He holds. The white lions reform to face the bus while keeping the skeleton block in their front.

My turn 3 and my left skeletons charge the lone reaver, the right hand ones charge the phoenix guard to break steadfast (and overrun into the white lions ^^). The T-bat goes reaver hunting in the centre. Magic: invoc goes off restoring the skeletons to full strength, also raise dead is cast getting the full 15. They were placed behind the white lions in a position to charge the central bolt thrower or lure the sea guard closer to the action on the left flank. Maybe a buff went off as well: in any case all my characters were fully healed. Combat: the lone reaver dies. The phoenix guard break and the bus restrains while the skeletons run both units down and overruns the 3” into the white lions. In his turn 3 the sea guard take the bait and charge the freshly raised zombies. No more magic from him, and shooting again fails to touch the T-bat (his bolt throwers were awful all game). In combat the white lions kill some skeletons but they hold obviously. The fresh zombie unit is wiped out and the seas guard reform to be able to see the T-bat.

Turn 4: I declare a charge with my bus against the leftmost bolt thrower. My opponent clearly didn’t see it else he may have taken his previous turn differently. In any case I angle the bus to be able to overrun into the flank of the sea guard. The T-bat charges the reavers who flee, bouncing through the second eagle towards my board edge. The left-hand skeleton unit reforms towards the white lions. Magic sees both buffs go off on the bus as well as raise dead ready to charge the central bolt thrower. No shooting so combat sees the skeletons fighting the white lions reduced to a single model! The bus get the overrun into the flank of the sea guard and the zombies wipe out the bolt thrower crew and overrun towards the final one in the right corner. His eagle goes to hide in the corner while the reavers fail to rally and flee off the table. The archers quick reform to be able to shoot the zombies gaining on the bolt thrower and make the charge from the bus a few inches longer. Shooting kill a few zombies but not all of them. The white lions reform to face the bus after having finished off the skeleton champion. The sea guard are wiped out and the bus reforms to face the archers.

Turn 5: The bus charges the archers, he contemplates fleeing but they’d be off the table anyway so he holds. The zombies charge the bolt thrower. One of the buffs goes off on the bus and the archers die in combat, bus reforms to face the white lions. My opponent decides to chance it and throws his unit in anyway. I challenge with my general and put one wound through on his BSB, both the other characters take 2 wounds. Bolt thrower survives.

Turn 6: No important movement, but thinking about it I don’t know why I didn’t throw the T-bat in as well… A couple (three?) spells go off healing the characters and his bsb dies and some more white lions are mulched but they hold. His turn sees them survive with about 3 models left. The bolt thrower also survives through 4 rounds!

So that’s a 20-0 to me and looking at it on paper the odds were always in my favour. Whatever toys you have I would always be cautious taking no level 4 in 8th edition. A good game and despite getting hammered my opponent seemed to be enjoying himself too. All in all a decent first day, and the venue was great too: conference rooms at the top of a hotel was pretty nice, also kinda convenient for everyone actually coming from further away. :tongue: