1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Ulrik Von Lichenstien's Horde

Discussion in 'The Dead Shall Walk......' started by Zacharias, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Mad 'At

Mad 'At Dumb enough to work Staff Member True Blood

I like the colour of the skin, but it could use some stronger shades. Using something like purple and brown mixed together, watered down and painted into the recesses could improve it a lot I think.

Great choice for the choice of colour for the wings too. How did you paint it?

2. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

I really like your use of pink. First in ghouls - I don't really remember if I saw ghouls with their cuts and boils painted differently. It makes for a really interesting and cool effect. The same with the dire wolves - I love how 'fresh meat' they look. And while I understand that you may want to add some blood effects to it, leaving it as it is would be also very, very nice - as if they are flayed, meaty, but also something drained their blood up :vampire3: in some bloody ritual.

Also, the black&white TG is a little too contrasty for my tastes, but overall it's a very good collection. Keep it up. I am also looking forward to the casket. :)

3. Zacharias

Zacharias Ghoul

Wings were the simplest thing I've ever done, think I used rotting fleshing followed by Reikland flesh shade. So simple but was chuffed with the out come, and a lot of the washes/shades do the work for you now. Scared to touch the skin now encase I mess the whole thing up haha

4. Zacharias

Zacharias Ghoul

Casket might be on hold for a while as entered a campaign and legion won't be in play till later in the year. Next up black coach

5. Zacharias

Zacharias Ghoul

Well I've now finished the black coach and only another vamp and my Wight King BSB to paint. All comments welcome, very happy with the outcome of this one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  6. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

Nice coach! I like the fully-ethereal horses and driver, it brings lovely bright colour contrast.

Zacharias likes this.
  7. Sessioni

Sessioni Grave Guard

@Zacharias Very well done! I might borrow that idea ;)

Zacharias likes this.
  8. Farmer7574

Farmer7574 Vampire Count True Blood

@Zacharias I'm with Shadespyre, great ethereal paint job with the real coach. Nice basing work too.

Zacharias likes this.
  9. Zacharias

Zacharias Ghoul

So it seems like forever since I posted and was a little quiet on the painting front for a while but winter has definitely hit Aberdeen and that can only mean one thing. Posting some of my latest additions, currently working on a unit of Grave Guard and the big guy Nagash. Also don't think I ever post my Crypt Horrors so have added them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone with any tips on how I can blend white spray cover in green wash then highlight white (ghosts on the cloak) to Slaanesh Grey covered in Druchi Voilet (what's currently below the arms and will be going on the cloak)? Any tips would be helpful.

10. Adam_Barrow

Adam_Barrow Sleepless Knight True Blood

I always dig the winged Strigoi conversion. And I'm jealous of your old school Zombie Dragon! Good to see you're back at it.

11. Zacharias

Zacharias Ghoul

I have a spare one of you want it

12. Adam_Barrow

I may be into that, actually. I'll PM you.

13. Farmer7574

@Zacharias Nice grave guard, the Crimson goes nicely with your metal colours.

Those crypt horrors are cool too, I like how you've painted them up in different flesh tones - they look like giant zombies like this!

Are you looking to blend the ethereal green to the purple? If so, I recommend doing your ethereal stuff and basecoat the purple area with Slaanesh Grey but don't wash it. Then take your Druchii Violet and thin it down a lot, apply it to the grey area creeping into the ethereal to merge the colours and reapply (when dry) on a slightly smaller area continuously until you reach a blend you're happy with. Make sure you leave some of the previous wash visible on the ethereal side to keep the transition smooth.

I've done this before but only on two flat colours being blended (one of which was black, which made it easy), and not two washed colours.

14. Borgnine

Quite a bit of army you've got there! Crypt Horrors being painted with different skin colors is quite novel!

As for the tricky Nagash's coat, I'll follow Farmer's advice. You could risk trying to wetblend several colors while still wet, but on such an area it would most probably turn out messily. Covering the border between two colors with watered down blend back and forth would probably work the best. Maybe GW's youtube movie about painting this dude would have some ideas/tips how to tackle this problem?

15. Adam_Barrow

Believe it or not, I just spotted an ebay auction for that dragon with 6 minutes left that had no bids. Just got him sealed in the box for cheap. You must be good luck, man. Thanks!

Zacharias likes this.
  16. Zacharias

Zacharias Ghoul

Didn't have time to upload this properly but getting a little time to paint again and made a bit of progress on Nagash. Hope this uploads.

Attached Files:

17. Zacharias

Zacharias Ghoul

Got a little more time to upload this the usual way today so here's Nagash as he stands, still a bit to go but tackled the scariest parts in time to utilise him in a tournament at the weekend (picked up 4th and was pretty chuffed with that, highest finish ever):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Nikos

Nikos Vampire Count True Blood

Nice looking start to your grave guard and your black coach is great. I love the optimism that yes, it is going to power up to being ethereal! Did you paint the guy in the coffin? That's always my favourite part of that model. Keep up the good work with Nagash.

19. Zacharias

Zacharias Ghoul

Thanks for the kind words. Never painted the guy in the coffin, whilst I would have liked to I simply didn't have time and need it finished for a campaign that was running at the time.

20. Farmer7574

@Zacharias Nice to see another Nagash in the works, looking forward to seeing him finished :)

21. Zacharias

Zacharias Ghoul

So another update, bit more progress with Nagash and with the exception of the two Grave Guard protectors, my VC casket is complete (big thanks to Adam Barrow for the inspiration).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

der vued likes this.
  22. Adam_Barrow

Looking awesome! Using the extra Ghosts from the new kit really throws these models over the top. I'm thinking extra ghosts on my Nagash too. Keep it up!

23. Borgnine

I agree with @Adam_Barrow , these spirit hosts can really enrich Nagash's base :) Also, top notch work on the 'casket' - grass and flowers really compliment the grey stone and the effect is most definitely pleasing :thumbsup:

24. Farmer7574

@Zacharias Nice Nagash, that spirit is a nice touch. Love the casket too :thumbsup:

25. Zacharias

Zacharias Ghoul

Finished my tomb guard for the casket and now working on Striker Von Lichtenstein (Sir Ulrik's cousin). Taking double vampire Lord in the next tournament so need him finished by Sunday, so this is speed painting for me (aka one character in a week). Will finish Nagash after this and then post again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]