1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Our Undead pals over at tomb-kings.net have started a casual painting/modelling competition akin to our own "Turning the World to Darkness" challenges. If they are not enough to slake your thirst, you can find out more about Khemri's newest creation here: http://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/painting-challenge-on-khemri-forum.30854/#post-445673
  3. Big changes are coming to Age of Sigmar! Narrative battles, points and a Book! What does this mean for the Vampiric hordes?!
  4. The 9th Age, the fan made rules alternative, has had it's rules updated to version 1.3! What changes could this bring for our fellow vampires?

Unas' battle reports

Discussion in 'Memento Mori' started by Unas the slayer, May 28, 2017.

1. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Grave Guard

Following the example of Alabaster, I have decided that it's better to keep in a single thread my casual BatReps.
    For grand tournament, we'll see.

2. Unas the slayer

Battle: 1500 pts

Death vs Beastclaw riders

Scenario: border war (one objective in each territory, 2 in the middle ground)

My army: "Flee Before me!"

Vampire Lord - general (ruler of the night)
    Ghoul King on terrorgheist (cursed book)
    3 x Banshee
    1 x Screaming Skull Catapult
    2 x 10 skeleton warriors
    1 x 5 Skeleton horsemen
    1 x 5 Hexwraiths
    1 x 5 dire wolves
    reserve pool: 80 pts

Bestclaw riders:

Frostlord on Thundertusk (general)
    Huskard on Thundertusk
    4 x Mournfangs
    6 x yethees
    2 x saber tusks

Set-up

I fear the 6 ranged mortal wounds of the tusks, that could kill my banshees, so i decide to keep them in cover, even if this means that they could stay behind when I'll move forward.

I deploy a massive left wing: the terrorgheist, the vampire lord, the horsemen, 2 banshees, the catapult and 10 skellies.
    a unit of 10 skellies control the objective at my center.
    The wolves and the Hexwraiths are on my right, with the third banshee

BR answer with units kept nearer: Yethees, mournfangs and huskard on my left, tigers on their own objective, frostlord on my right.

[​IMG]

FIRST ROUND

BR decide to go first. Not sure why.

The vultures kill one crew of SSC, all the army run forward... and the yethees are ready to charge (they can run and charge tnx to the huskard).
    the picture is taken before the charge: the yethees impact on the horsemen and the warriors, killing 2 horsies and 7 warriors (that don't fail battleshock and stand their ground)

3 victory points for Beastclaw

[​IMG]

My turn.

right wing
    I move the wolves to take the objective and rush forward with the hexwraiths to threaten a charge on the objective in my opponent's territory. Basically, I'm using them as threat / bait to force the enemy's big hitters to take care of them.
    The banshee stays behind, granting a minimal cover

[​IMG]

left wing.
    terrorgheist flies over the yethees.
    SSC shoot yethees, reducing their bravery to 4.
    Banshees and terror scream at yethees, for 11, 9 and 10!
    terror charges mournfangs, Vampire charges yethees.
    After the combat, Yethees are no more and 2 mournfangs have been killed.

3 victory points for me

[​IMG]

SECOND ROUND

BR win

Vultures fail to kill the crew of the SSC
    The combined shooting of the thundertusks, with 12 mortal wounds, wipes away the hexwraiths.
    the frostlord on thundertusk charges the wolves, but tnx to the save 6+ granted by the banshee, a single wolf survives!
    The mournfangs do little against the terrorgheist, which fails to kill anyone, just taking a mournfang near death.

3 victory points for Beastclaw (total: 6)

[​IMG]

My turn.

I summon a banshee near the mournfangs
    I disengage the terrorgheist and the wolves.
    SSC and summoned banshee shoot at mournfangs, then the charge of the healed knights finishes them off.
    left banshees run forward, right banshee goes back

[​IMG]

5 victory points for me. (total: 8)

THIRD ROUND

No pictures here.
    i win the roll.

SSC, terrorgheist and banshee shoot at the huskard on thundertusk
    terrorgheist charges Huskard, finishing it
    horsemen charge the tigers, Killing them and taking the objective.

I control all objectives, 9 victory points for me (total: 17)

BR turn:
    with only 6 victory points and just one thundertusk still alive, my opponent concedes.

Analysis of the match:

My opponent was unsatisfied by tusks' performance ("they are much weaker than Stonehorns!")

IN CC they are surely weaker. IMO his mistake was to use his army as if thundertusks were Stonehorns. You move and charge forward with SH, but the tusks are made for a cat vs mouse play. You move slowly, and blast with shooting, keeping ready mournfangs and yethees for charges on weakened targets. Basically the opposite of what has been done here.

But hey, Nagash likes victories, and I've got no pity for a potentially overpowered army as Beastclaw Riders! :vampire3:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  3. Unas the slayer

Battle: 1000 pts

Death vs Warrior of Chaos

Scenario: blood and Glory (four objectives at the 4 corners, you win by taking them all or counting them at the end of the 5th turn)

I wanted to try its very basic version at 1000 pts, and see if it can work

Vampire Lord - general (ruler of the night)
    2 x Banshee
    1 x 10 skeleton warriors
    1 x 10 zombies

Warrior of Chaos, aka Slaves to Darkness:

Chaos sorcerer lord (general)
    1 x Chaos Chariot
    5 x Chaos Knights
    5 x Chaos knights
    10 x Chaos warriors (proxied by some orcs models)
    10 x Chaos warriors

Set-up

I am slow, and I want to see how my opponent places his units, so I deploy firstly my battlelines.
    In the end, we've got:
    the unit of zombies upon my right objective, acting mostly as bait, facing 10 warriors and 5 Knights (those units are not visible in the picture, except for the 10 warriors)
    My whole army (the terrorgheist, the vampire lord, 2 banshees, the catapult and 10 skellies) is on the left, facing the sorcerer, the chariot, 5 warriors and 5 knights

[​IMG]

FIRST ROUND

My opponent lets me go first.

The zombies await for their doom, i move my whole package of heroes toward the small building into no man's land. The Vampire got a mystic shield but terrorgheist fails to cast its own save 5+. SSC fails to hit the chariot

Chaos turn.
    My opponent is crazily confident in his units. with minimal magic support, the chariot charges the terrorgheist, the knights would like to do the same to my Vampire but needed a 11 and fail.
    IN the combat phase, the chariot will be simply chomped away.

[​IMG]

SECOND ROUND

I win the roll

my heroes converge upon the knights. SSC hits them (no wound, but who cares?).
    After the screaming of the terrorgheist and the banshees, 2 knights are killed, and I charge the survivors...

[​IMG]

Chaos turn.

The warriors go desperately in combat with the terrorgheist. Previously I failed to give mystic shield to it, but this turn it got its own save, plus 2 ward saves at 5+ and imposes -1 to hit.

THIRD ROUND

Chaos wins the roll.

the knights finally charge the zombies on the left, slaughtering them and taking that objective, the 10 warriors run toward my left, but without any real hope to change the tide.

In my turn, my general charges the sorcerer. (see picture).
    At the end of the combat phase, My army is at full force (just losed 10 zombies), the chaos got only 10 warriors and the knights, and concedes.

[​IMG]

Analysis of the match:

My army was superior to the chaos one (despite the fact that chaos knights are really tough!), but my opponent didn't play my main weakness.
    with just 1000 points, I lose my 3 fast supports: the wolves, the knights and the hexwraiths: I am pathetically slow, and my shooting is limited in range (unless you're really lucky, SSC is there just for the malus to bravery), so he should have used his superior mobility to keep me at a distance and taking objectives, dealing with my other units and threatening the catapult.
    Instead, he used his forces in single attacks, without coordination, going directly against a combo that was clearly superior: with this setting, the terrorgheist gives malus to to hit and can have a double ward save at 5+, and heals itself (it's basically a more costly version of a mourngul).

Played in this way, Chaos simply stood no chance.

4. Unas the slayer

Time for another one...

Battle: 2000 pts

Death vs Dwarfs

Premise: I wanted to play again once with my "scream for me" list. My friend proposed a 2000 pts list, and he wanted to give some magical support to his army, with an ally wizard.... Teclis, nonetheless!
    (truly strong, for 200 pts, you have a wizard of third level, can cast and unbind 3 times each turn, with a +2 to cast / unbind, when he beats by 3 (by 1, given that he got a +2) the difficulty of the spell, he doubles the range of said spell!). His own spell delivers 1 mortal wound to the units, halving all the kind of movements for said units 'til Teclis' next turn). I've tried Teclis in a mixed elven / Empire army, and it absolutely rocks.

To me it was fine, I wanted to test a special character too, so i thought it would have been nice to field two great armys with famous leaders.

Scenario: border war (one objective in each territory, 2 in the middle ground)

Vlad Von Carstein - general
    Vampire Lord
    3 x Banshee
    2 x 10 skeleton warriors
    1 x 5 Black knights (my opponent lets me used them as battleline, instead of skeleton horsemen)
    1 x 5 Hexwraiths
    1 x 5 dire wolves
    6 x Spirit hosts
    reserve pool: 80 pts

(note: it is basically my standard 1500 screaming lists, adding 480 pts by Vlad and Spirit hosts. Vlad's command ability is perfect with spirit hosts and still a strong boost for ghoul king)

Dwarfs:

Warden King (general)
    Teclis
    Grimm Burloksson
    1 x Runelord
    1 x Magmadroth (proxied using a carnosaur)
    10 x longbeards
    10 x warriors
    10 x warriors
    30 x Thunderers (shoot at 22" tnx to Grimm)
    10 x Irondrakes
    2 x cannons
    1 x gyrobomber

As expected, it's a strong shooting list. Coupled wth Teclis, it can shred to pieces anything that approaches his line.

Set-up

me:
    left wing: 10 skellies, 3 banshees, vampire lord, SSC and hexwraiths
    centre: the terrorgheist
    right wing: Vlad, spirit hosts, black knights, 10 skellies, 5 dire wolves

dwarfs:
    on my left: 10 warriors, gyrobomber, 2 cannons w Grimm, Runelord
    center: 30 thunderers, warden king, longbeards
    my right: magmadroth, irondrakes, 10 warriors

[​IMG]

I know I could hardly win a frontal assault, as I need a double turn to approach his line, and given that i finished early to deploy, I gave dwarfs the turn.
    My plan (that i developed during the set-up), is to form two stron wings, capturing the side objectives and win by points, even if he shred me to pieces.
    I fear that he could advance the warriors by march, thus forcing me to battle for the conquer of the objectives, but i an confident that he will be cautious with his 2 battlelines that are supposed fo shield his strong centre.
    the gyrobomber could be annoying, but i fear the magmadroth, the only thing with fast move and that can hit hard, threatening any unit I will place upon objectives.
    I want to play on objective ponts, after all.

5. Unas the slayer

FIRST ROUND.

I'm out of range, so the dwarfs can do little; even Teclis can just slow my skeleton warriors., He decided to don't move the warriors (the ones on my right enter the house). The bomber advance and the magmadroth moves a little.

my turn: I want to play aggressively, to obtain immediately the objective points. I move forward with all, except the SSC, and I hope to win the roll for the next turn.

victory points: 5-1 for Death.

[​IMG]

SECOND ROUND.

How it is said? Fortune favours the bold... and I win the roll

My turn
    SSC shoot the magmadroth (doesn't hit, but who cares?)
    I consolidate my hold on the side objective and advance with banshees and Spirit Hosts.
    the Hexwraiths charge the bomber and the Terrorgheist (buffed by mystic shield and unholy vitality) charge the magmadroth (previously weakened by terror's screaming for 5 mortal wounds). I place the terrorgheist in range of the warrior within the house and in a way that longbeards will be sucked into combat by pile-in, but with just one model that can attack.
    Terrorgheist kills the magmadroth (which was my objective in this suicidal assault), but the claws of the terrorgheist manage to kill only 2 warriors. Oh, well.

The bomber stays alive with one wound.

[​IMG]

Dwarfs turn:
    i manage to dispel Teclis signature spell, then, as expected, all the firing power of dwarfs concentrates on the terrorgheist, and they kill it. They still have one cannon, that kills a couple of Black Knights
    on my left, warriors charge the hexwraiths, kiling one. The bomber succeeds in doing 3 saves at 6 and stays alive!

nice dwarven turn, but victory points are 10-2 for Death! my plan is working.

[​IMG]

THIRD ROUND:

I win again.
    I summon a couple of bat swarms on the flank of the group "cannons + thunderers", and buff with mystic shield the spirit hosts (which are also the target of my command ability!)
    the combined shooting of SSC and banshees kills the warriors.
    Hexwraiths kill the bomber, and the Spirits charge the longbeards and the warriors, placing themselves to force teclis to pile in.
    Longbeards are blasted away, and just three warriors remain after battleshock. despite the pile in of the warden king, just one wound is delivered to my hosts.

[​IMG]

Dwarfs turn:
    cannons and thinderers move away from the bats, and shoot with all they have on the hosts, but only 3 of them are killed (save at 3 with no rend is huge); in the combat phase Teclis is killed.

[​IMG]

victory points: 15-3 for Death.

My opponent wins the roll for the 4th turn, and he's almost sure to wipe away the spirit hosts, but realizes that the battle has been lost by victory points, and concedes.

Vlad von Carstein's masterful plan, worked perfectly!
    :vampire3:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  6. Unas the slayer

Battle: 1000 pts (more or less....)

Death: Soulblight Allegiance!

at the game shop we were 4 players, so we decided to play one of the scenarios "triumph and treachery"
    the chosen one was "fog of war", it's 2 vs 2, but the allegiance between the armies will be decided randomly after the set-up, which can be dangerous.

VIctory points are taken by having models near the central objective, or by killing enemy's heroes, or by inflicting the greatest number of wounds each round.

We have the following armies:
    Death - soulblight Allegiance (mine)
    Beastclaw riders
    Greenskinz
    Tomb Kings (a part of my army, that I gave to this guy that is trying different armies to see which one to collect)

Logically, it should be Death vs Destruction, but who knows? the fog of war may offer some surprise, and we could have Death rulers that fight between themselves, using living, expendables mercs...

My army: "Count Varg's pride"

Vampire Lord on zombie dragon - general (ruler of the night, cursed book)
    5 x Blood Knights
    5 x Blood Knights
    2 x Bat swarms

(I wanted to try that, proxying my black knights as blood knights, because I'm intrigued by those heavy battlelines. The bats take me over 1000 pts, but the other players were fine with that))

Bestclaw riders:

Huskard on Stonehorn (don't recall the stuff)
    2 x Mournfangs
    2 x Mournfangs
    2 x Mournfangs

Greenskinz / Bonesplitterz (not sure of the list)

Orruk warboss on Boar (general)
    Orruk Shaman
    10 x Boarboyz
    10 x arrowboyz
    10 x savage orruks
    10 x Orruks
    1 x Mangler squigs

Tomb Kings (list made by me)

Tomb Kings on Royal Warsphinx (master of black arts, sepulchral blade)
    Khemrian Warsphinx
    Liche priest
    10 x sk. warriors
    20 x sk. warriors

(the idea behind this list is that the 2 sphinxes should be nearly immortal, being able to be cured, mysticshielded and so on; the command ability of the TK works upon the khemrian warsphinx, and even those 20 warriors could be dangerous... if properly buffed, they will deliver 41 attacks at 3+/3+, generating additional attacks with righteous smiting for each 5+ to hit)

Set-up

I'm the first, and deploy at a corner.
    Tomb Kings places themselves at the corner near me
    orcs are set at my opposite corner
    Beastclaw are aggressive, and pick one of the middle squares. They will be already in control of the central objective, and have many possibilities: if they will be allied with me, we will have a truly strong set-up, and if they are against me... it's a matter of who will go first.

[​IMG]

And now, it's time to determine randomly the allegiances... what are your guess?

(BatRep will follow)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  7. Unas the slayer

the rolls for the allegiances:

Soulblight & Orcs
    vs
    Tomb Kings & Beastclaw riders!

Ouch, I'm caught between two really strong armies, and my ally is probably the weakest of all the bunch.
    the roll for the turn could decide the outcome of the battle... and I WIN!

FIRST ROUND.

I cannot afford a charge by beastclaw, and I've got the advantage that TK are slow.... i must deal with BR immediately.

Shield on the general, command ability on a unit of blood knights, and charge!
    Blood K impact on a unit of mournfangs, the same I attack with the general, placing it in a way to draw into combat the stonehorn (to avoid its charge)

[​IMG]

with an incredible move phase, also the Mangler of my ally charges one unit of mournfangs!

The BK are absolute beasts, and the 2 mournfangs explode in a mess of blood.
    The fight between the vampire and the Huskard ends with me taking 3 wounds, and the huskard 7!
    the mangler manages to kill one 'fang, taking some wounds in exchange

[​IMG]

in the round of our opponents, the TK run toward us, but as predicted, cannot join the fight.

the beastclaw do what they can.
    the survived fang kills the mangler, the last unit of 2 fangs charges my knights, Killing one and 2 wounds on another one, and another wound to my general.
    my Lord and two knights take the stonehorn to one single wound.

[​IMG]

Points scored so far: 3 for beastclaw riders (objective) and 2 for me (inflicted wounds)

SECOND ROUND.

My enemies hope to win this one, but it's me again!

with a bolt i kill the huskard, then i fly to charge the lonemournfang, but my breath take it down before charge.
    I raise one knight and kill the fangs.
    The whole army of beastclaw has been wiped away in two turns!!!

My foolish ally goes WAAAAGH and the savage orruks (instead of acting as screen), charge the sphinxes... being obliterated.
    The orruks cannot kill 10 skellies.

in TK turn, the sphinxes charge the arrowboys and the warboss that were near the objective.
    The arrowboys are wiped away, but the warboss survives and inflicts a couple of wounds to the khemrian warsphinx

[​IMG]

Points in this round: 5 for Tomb Kings (wounds and objective) and 3 for me (hero killed)

total points: 8 vs 5 for the enemy Allegiance, but it's just an illusion...

THIRD ROUND.

TK win the roll.
    The sphinxes are stuck in combat with the warboss and they kill it. Shield on the royal warsphinx, heal to the khemrian one.
    10 skellies finally die against the orruks and the 20 skellies run to give some support.

Our turn:
    one unit of BK charges the 20 skellies.
    the other unit of BK and the Vampire lord attack the khemrian warsphinx. (the lord in range also for the liche priest)
    Bats eat some mosquito just to do something.
    Boarboyz finally come to see what's happening.

[​IMG]

at the end of the combat phase, the skellies, the priest and the khemrian warsphinx are no more.

I score 8 points vs 3, and only the royal warsphinx is still "alive".

a crushing victory... and man, those blood knights as battleline are devastating! :vampire3:

8. Unas the slayer

Battle: 1000 pts (more or less....)

Death: Soulblight Allegiance

a fried of mine (the one who plays dwarfs) ordered the start collecting Fyreslayers but he cannot wait, so he asked me to play a battle with his HEAVILY PROXIED army.

We rolled the scenario "Gifts from heavens"

My army: "Count Varg's pride" (1040 pts)

Vampire Lord on zombie dragon - general (ruler of the night, cursed book)
    5 x Blood Knights
    5 x Blood Knights
    2 x Bat swarms

Fyreslayers (1020 pts)
    auric runefather (or something similar) on Magmadroth
    15 x vulkite berserker
    15 x vulkite berserker
    1 x Battlesmith
    1 x "hero that i don't recall the name but can set underground a unit with him"
    15 x auric hearthguard (with shooting, when they hit a monster, halve its move and impose a -1 to hit)

M opponent is pretty confident in his list: due to synergies (i know only a couple, the rest i didn't check) his units will have rerollable saves, re-rolling also nat. 1s, and then will have a ward save 5+ (for units with 10+ models)
    I don't know, looking at the lists i believe it will be a cakewalk for me.

Set-up
    Hearthguard with the hero are set underground.
    The rest ofthe armies are placed in a very simple way: two central blocks looking at each other.

[​IMG]

i give the first turn to fyreslayers

FIRST ROUND.

Basically, nothing happens.
    mad dwarfs move toward me, i stand my ground.

SECOND ROUND

F. win the roll and go first. The comet lands at the center of their battlefield, and they move again toward me

My turn: the comet lands nearmy my general (picture at the beginnning of my hero phase)

[​IMG]

My choice is easy: i buff a unit of blood knigts and charge the magmadroth and a unit of vulkite, alongside with my vamp. lord.
    bats and 2nd BK unit secure my comet.

[​IMG]

The magmadroth is incredibly lucky, a land just few wounds... but at the end of my combat phase, the left unit of berserkers is no more.
    One dead knight

THIRD ROUND

I win the roll. lol.

I raise the dead knight and the whole unit pile-in the magmadroth.
    My vamp. lord flies in the back, ready to charge and to deal with the battlesmith that is sitting on the comet

[​IMG]

After che charge and during the combat phase, with just the attacks of the knights, we have this situation:

[​IMG]

My opponent concedes.

As said, a cakewalk...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  9. Unas the slayer

Battle: a little more than 1500 pts

Death: Arkhan the Black

this will be a BatRep with some teaching!

we were three player, with armies a little more than 1500 pts each, so we decided to play a match with no objective, just open battle to conquer the territory.

I wanted to try a list with Arkhan the Black... given his past with Tomb Kings, i like to imagine that he likes to command his old armies, so I thougth at this list:

Arkhan on Mortarch
    liche priest
    necromancer
    wight king
    1 x Kh. warsphinx
    1 x kh. warsphinx
    10 x skellies
    30 x skellies

[​IMG]

The other lists:

Chaos - slaves to darkness (almost all were proxied models... [​IMG])

a priest that I don't recall
    10 x chaos warriors
    20 x chaos warriors
    5 x knights
    5 x knights
    1 x chariot
    2 x skull cannons

Orcs

orc warboss on boar
    BSB
    orc shaman
    1 x catapult (doom diver)
    10 x boarboyz
    10 x savage orcs
    10 x orruks
    10 x orruks
    3 x trolls
    1 x mangler squid

set up:

[​IMG]

FIRST ROUND:

My powerful barrage of increased ranged magic acts poorly (and it will be the same in all the match. this list works wee to buff, but for damage is almost ineffectual)
    shooting by enemies warmachines is even poorer than my magic
    the chariot of chaos charges my skellies, but they resist and my sphinx is drawn into combat.
    The orc player says something as "30 skellies buffed by 2 casters and the king? I think I'll go toward chaos". And boarboyz+warboss+mangler run like hell in that direction.

[​IMG]

SECOND ROUND:

another round with poor shooting from warmachines.
    I deal with the chariot and kill it
    Boarboyz charge the chaos warriors and Mangler charges the skull cannons.
    I foresee bad news for chaos...

[​IMG]

THIRD ROUND:

the massacre of chaos continues, and I happlily join it with a small amount of my forces...

[​IMG]

...while the rest of my army starts moving toward the orc army on the right.

[​IMG]

FOURTH ROUND:
    the massacre approaches its end:
    All Chaos army is killed.
    the catapult of the goblins kills my wight King and is finally killed by Arkhan's magic
    My warsphinx charges and kills the Mangler.
    The remaining orcs keep a wide security distance from my right strong wing.

Now, the funny part.

I was pondering that the victory was clearly mine: with just one turn to play, Chaos has been wiped away, Orcs losed the mangler and the warmachine, I losed only the wight king.
    I clearly control the battlefield, with more points.
    At that point, the orc player said "no, wait, the winner it's me. I've killed more than 1000 points, you killed just 600. I charged caos for this reason, to conquer more Killing points than you".

this is the teaching: even when you play for fun, always define the victory conditions before playing.

we planned our tactics with different objectives in mind, because we didn't talk.

We had a laugh, and we decided that the game was a tie... unless something exceptional was going to happen in the last round.

FIFTH ROUND:

My lone warsphinx (buffed by my distant casters) charges the boarboyz. and then is swarmed by said boyz and by the (finally arrived) orruks.

and the end of the turn, I manage to kill 5 boarboyz, receiving 4 wounds. without any unit killing, we decided to confirm the tie. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017