1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Our Undead pals over at tom-kings.net have started a casual painting/modelling competition akin to our own "Turning the World to Darkness" challenges. If they are not enough to slake your thirst, you can find out more about Khemri's newest creation here: http://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/painting-challenge-on-khemri-forum.30854/#post-445673
  3. Big changes are coming to Age of Sigmar! Narrative battles, points and a Book! What does this mean for the Vampiric hordes?!
  4. The 9th Age, the fan made rules alternative, has had it's rules updated to version 1.3! What changes could this bring for our fellow vampires?

Unas' battle reports

Discussion in 'Memento Mori' started by Unas the slayer, May 28, 2017.

1. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Grave Guard

Following the example of Alabaster, I have decided that it's better to keep in a single thread my casual BatReps.
    For grand tournament, we'll see.

2. Unas the slayer

Battle: 1500 pts

Death vs Beastclaw riders

Scenario: border war (one objective in each territory, 2 in the middle ground)

My army: "Flee Before me!"

Vampire Lord - general (ruler of the night)
    Ghoul King on terrorgheist (cursed book)
    3 x Banshee
    1 x Screaming Skull Catapult
    2 x 10 skeleton warriors
    1 x 5 Skeleton horsemen
    1 x 5 Hexwraiths
    1 x 5 dire wolves
    reserve pool: 80 pts

Bestclaw riders:

Frostlord on Thundertusk (general)
    Huskard on Thundertusk
    4 x Mournfangs
    6 x yethees
    2 x saber tusks

Set-up

I fear the 6 ranged mortal wounds of the tusks, that could kill my banshees, so i decide to keep them in cover, even if this means that they could stay behind when I'll move forward.

I deploy a massive left wing: the terrorgheist, the vampire lord, the horsemen, 2 banshees, the catapult and 10 skellies.
    a unit of 10 skellies control the objective at my center.
    The wolves and the Hexwraiths are on my right, with the third banshee

BR answer with units kept nearer: Yethees, mournfangs and huskard on my left, tigers on their own objective, frostlord on my right.

[​IMG]

FIRST ROUND

BR decide to go first. Not sure why.

The vultures kill one crew of SSC, all the army run forward... and the yethees are ready to charge (they can run and charge tnx to the huskard).
    the picture is taken before the charge: the yethees impact on the horsemen and the warriors, killing 2 horsies and 7 warriors (that don't fail battleshock and stand their ground)

3 victory points for Beastclaw

[​IMG]

My turn.

right wing
    I move the wolves to take the objective and rush forward with the hexwraiths to threaten a charge on the objective in my opponent's territory. Basically, I'm using them as threat / bait to force the enemy's big hitters to take care of them.
    The banshee stays behind, granting a minimal cover

[​IMG]

left wing.
    terrorgheist flies over the yethees.
    SSC shoot yethees, reducing their bravery to 4.
    Banshees and terror scream at yethees, for 11, 9 and 10!
    terror charges mournfangs, Vampire charges yethees.
    After the combat, Yethees are no more and 2 mournfangs have been killed.

3 victory points for me

[​IMG]

SECOND ROUND

BR win

Vultures fail to kill the crew of the SSC
    The combined shooting of the thundertusks, with 12 mortal wounds, wipes away the hexwraiths.
    the frostlord on thundertusk charges the wolves, but tnx to the save 6+ granted by the banshee, a single wolf survives!
    The mournfangs do little against the terrorgheist, which fails to kill anyone, just taking a mournfang near death.

3 victory points for Beastclaw (total: 6)

[​IMG]

My turn.

I summon a banshee near the mournfangs
    I disengage the terrorgheist and the wolves.
    SSC and summoned banshee shoot at mournfangs, then the charge of the healed knights finishes them off.
    left banshees run forward, right banshee goes back

[​IMG]

5 victory points for me. (total: 8)

THIRD ROUND

No pictures here.
    i win the roll.

SSC, terrorgheist and banshee shoot at the huskard on thundertusk
    terrorgheist charges Huskard, finishing it
    horsemen charge the tigers, Killing them and taking the objective.

I control all objectives, 9 victory points for me (total: 17)

BR turn:
    with only 6 victory points and just one thundertusk still alive, my opponent concedes.

Analysis of the match:

My opponent was unsatisfied by tusks' performance ("they are much weaker than Stonehorns!")

IN CC they are surely weaker. IMO his mistake was to use his army as if thundertusks were Stonehorns. You move and charge forward with SH, but the tusks are made for a cat vs mouse play. You move slowly, and blast with shooting, keeping ready mournfangs and yethees for charges on weakened targets. Basically the opposite of what has been done here.

But hey, Nagash likes victories, and I've got no pity for a potentially overpowered army as Beastclaw Riders! :vampire3:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  3. Unas the slayer

Battle: 1000 pts

Death vs Warrior of Chaos

Scenario: blood and Glory (four objectives at the 4 corners, you win by taking them all or counting them at the end of the 5th turn)

I wanted to try its very basic version at 1000 pts, and see if it can work

Vampire Lord - general (ruler of the night)
    2 x Banshee
    1 x 10 skeleton warriors
    1 x 10 zombies

Warrior of Chaos, aka Slaves to Darkness:

Chaos sorcerer lord (general)
    1 x Chaos Chariot
    5 x Chaos Knights
    5 x Chaos knights
    10 x Chaos warriors (proxied by some orcs models)
    10 x Chaos warriors

Set-up

I am slow, and I want to see how my opponent places his units, so I deploy firstly my battlelines.
    In the end, we've got:
    the unit of zombies upon my right objective, acting mostly as bait, facing 10 warriors and 5 Knights (those units are not visible in the picture, except for the 10 warriors)
    My whole army (the terrorgheist, the vampire lord, 2 banshees, the catapult and 10 skellies) is on the left, facing the sorcerer, the chariot, 5 warriors and 5 knights

[​IMG]

FIRST ROUND

My opponent lets me go first.

The zombies await for their doom, i move my whole package of heroes toward the small building into no man's land. The Vampire got a mystic shield but terrorgheist fails to cast its own save 5+. SSC fails to hit the chariot

Chaos turn.
    My opponent is crazily confident in his units. with minimal magic support, the chariot charges the terrorgheist, the knights would like to do the same to my Vampire but needed a 11 and fail.
    IN the combat phase, the chariot is simply chomped away.

[​IMG]

SECOND ROUND

I win the roll

my heroes converge upon the knights. SSC hits them (no wound, but who cares?).
    After the screaming of the terrorgheist and the banshees, 2 knights are killed, and I charge the survivors...

[​IMG]

Chaos turn.

The warriors go desperately in combat with the terrorgheist. Previously I failed to give mystic shield to it, but this turn it got its own save, plus 2 ward saves at 5+ and imposes -1 to hit.

THIRD ROUND

Chaos wins the roll.

the knights finally charge the zombies on the left, slaughtering them and taking that objective, the 10 warriors run toward my left, but without any real hope to change the tide.

In my turn, my general charges the sorcerer. (see picture).
    At the end of the combat phase, My army is at full force (just losed 10 zombies), the chaos got only 10 warriors and the knights, and concedes.

[​IMG]

Analysis of the match:

My army was superior to the chaos one (despite the fact that chaos knights are really tough!), but my opponent didn't play my main weakness.
    with just 1000 points, I lose my 3 fast supports: the wolves, the knights and the hexwraiths: I am pathetically slow, and my shooting is limited in range (unless you're really lucky, SSC is there just for the malus to bravery), so he should have used his superior mobility to keep me at a distance and taking objectives, dealing with my other units and threatening the catapult.
    Instead, he used his forces in single attacks, without coordination, going directly against a combo that was clearly superior: with this setting, the terrorgheist gives malus to to hit and can have a double ward save at 5+, and heals itself (it's basically a more costly version of a mourngul).

Played in this way, Chaos simply stood no chance.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  4. Unas the slayer

Time for another one...

Battle: 2000 pts

Death vs Dwarfs

Premise: I wanted to play again once with my "scream for me" list. My friend proposed a 2000 pts list, and he wanted to give some magical support to his army, with an ally wizard.... Teclis, nonetheless!
    (truly strong, for 200 pts, you have a wizard of third level, can cast and unbind 3 times each turn, with a +2 to cast / unbind, when he beats by 3 (by 1, given that he got a +2) the difficulty of the spell, he doubles the range of said spell!). His own spell delivers 1 mortal wound to the units, halving all the kind of movements for said units 'til Teclis' next turn). I've tried Teclis in a mixed elven / Empire army, and it absolutely rocks.

To me it was fine, I wanted to test a special character too, so i thought it would have been nice to field two great armys with famous leaders.

Scenario: border war (one objective in each territory, 2 in the middle ground)

Vlad Von Carstein - general
    Vampire Lord
    3 x Banshee
    2 x 10 skeleton warriors
    1 x 5 Black knights (my opponent lets me used them as battleline, instead of skeleton horsemen)
    1 x 5 Hexwraiths
    1 x 5 dire wolves
    6 x Spirit hosts
    reserve pool: 80 pts

(note: it is basically my standard 1500 screaming lists, adding 480 pts by Vlad and Spirit hosts. Vlad command ability is perfect with spirit hosts and still a stron boost for ghoul king, and the spell "curse soul" stacks nicely with the SSC)

Dwarfs:

Warden King (general)
    Teclis
    Grimm Burloksson
    1 x Runelord
    1 x Magmadroth (proxied using a carnosaur)
    10 x longbeards
    10 x warriors
    10 x warriors
    30 x Thunderers (shoot at 22" tnx to Grimm)
    10 x Irondrakes
    2 x cannons
    1 x gyrobomber

As expected, it's a strong shooting list. Coupled wth Teclis, it can shred to pieces anything that approaches his line.

Set-up

me:
    left wing: 10 skellies, 3 banshees, vampire lord, SSC and hexwraiths
    centre: the terrorgheist
    right wing: Vlad, spirit hosts, black knights, 10 skellies, 5 dire wolves

dwarfs:
    on my left: 10 warriors, gyrobomber, 2 cannons w Grimm, Runelord
    center: 30 thunderers, warden king, longbeards
    my right: magmadroth, irondrakes, 10 warriors

[​IMG]

I know I could hardly win a frontal assault, as I need a double turn to approach his line, and given that i finished early to deploy, I gave dwarfs the turn.
    My plan (that i developed during the set-up), is to form two stron wings, capturing the side objectives and win by points, even if he shred me to pieces.
    I fear that he could advance the warriors by march, thus forcing me to battle for the conquer of the objectives, but i an confident that he will be cautious with his 2 battlelines that are supposed fo shield his strong centre.
    the gyrobomber could be annoying, but i fear the magmadroth, the only thing with fast move and that can hit hard, threatening any unit I will place upon objectives.
    I want to play on objective ponts, after all.

5. Unas the slayer

FIRST ROUND.

I'm out of range, so the dwarfs can do little; even Teclis can just slow my skeleton warriors., He decided to don't move the warriors (the ones on my right enter the house). The bomber advance and the magmadroth moves a little.

my turn: I want to play aggressively, to obtain immediately the objective points. I move forward with all, except the SSC, and I hope to win the roll for the next turn.

victory points: 5-1 for Death.

[​IMG]

SECOND ROUND.

How it is said? Fortune favours the bold... and I win the roll

My turn
    SSC shoot the magmadroth (doesn't hit, but who cares?)
    I consolidate my hold on the side objective and advance with banshees and Spirit Hosts.
    the Hexwraiths charge the bomber and the Terrorgheist (buffed by mystic shield and unholy vitality) charge the magmadroth (previously weakened by terror's screaming for 5 mortal wounds). I place the terrorgheist in range of the warrior within the house and in a way that longbeards will be sucked into combat by pile-in, but with just one model that can attack.
    Terrorgheist kill the magmadroth (which was my objective in this suicidal assault), but the claws of the terrorgheist manage to kill only 2 warriors. Oh, well.

The bomber stays alive with one wound.

[​IMG]

Dwarfs turn:
    i manage to dispel Teclis signature spell, then, as expected, all the firing power of dwarfs concentrates on the terrorgheist, and they kill it. They still have one cannon, that kills a couple of Black Knights
    on my left, warriors charge the hexwraiths, kiling one. The bomber succeeds in doing 3 saves at 6 and stays alive!

nice dwarven turn, but victory points are 10-2 for Death! my plan is working.

[​IMG]

THIRD ROUND:

I win again.
    I summon a couple of bat swarms on the flank of the group "cannons + thunderers", and buff with mystic shield the spirit hosts (which are also the target of my command ability!)
    the combined shooting of SSC and banshees kills the warriors.
    Hexwraiths kill the bomber, and the Spirits charge the longbeards and the warriors, placing themselves to force teclis to pile in.
    Longbeards are blasted away, and just three warriors remain after battleshock. despite the pile in of the warden king, just one wound is delivered to my hosts.

[​IMG]

Dwarfs turn:
    cannons and thinderers move away from the bats, and shoot with all they have on the hosts, but only 3 of them are killed (save at 3 with no rend is huge); in the combat phase Teclis is killed.

[​IMG]

victory points: 15-3 for Death.

My opponent wins the roll for the 4th turn, and he's almost sure to wipe away the spirit hosts, but realizes that the battle has been lost by victory points, and concedes.

Vlad von Carstein's masterful plan, worked perfectly!
    :vampire3: