1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Undead legions in mathematical terms is mwbd or hatred better?

Discussion in 'Laws of the Night' started by TimB65, Jun 9, 2015.

?

For price/effect which buff is better?

1. MWBD giving ws 6/5 for 170/100 points

60.0%
  2. Hatred for 60 points

40.0%
  1. TimB65

TimB65 Zombie

I know mwbd (giving a uint ws 6/5) is a nice buff from the tomb king/prince but the price tag of 170/100 points naked is a little much for the effect. I was thinking isn't the necrotic causing hatred better mathematicaly in regards to core from ws1-3 for a cheaper point cost (60)?

2. bigbadbat

bigbadbat Harbinger of Dandelions Staff Member True Blood

Initiative is the problem here. The Necrotic could well be dead before the unit he's in gets to strike, wasting the hatred and pts.
    MWBD offers some defense in the way of getting hit less via the higher WS of the unit. With access to Van Hels, and the ability to equip the TP/TK defensively, you can really make a tough unit.
    This, is of course, very dependent on the unit you wish to buff.

3. TimB65

TimB65 Zombie

Is it feasible to have both the tomb k/p and necrotic be in the middle rank just for there buff?

4. bigbadbat

bigbadbat Harbinger of Dandelions Staff Member True Blood

Between Book of Arkhan and VHDM, you should be able to get those rerollable via magic. The Necrotect doesn't provide any value for me.

5. TimB65

TimB65 Zombie

I agree that keeping your weak tomb king characters in the front is risky to say the least. The last game I played I had a prince in a horde of zombies which was working great intell my opponet's bloodletter champion and uint directed 5 attacks at him... Bye bye ws5 zombies. So my new plan is to keep the characters in the second rank sacrificeing 2 of his attacks for much greater security. Any thoughts on that?

6. Hellion Nox

Hellion Nox Grave Guard

@TimB65 Get skeletons, get a champion, challenge the blootletter. Heal, revive champion, lock his silly blootletter in place the entire game. done!

Frenzy bait the guy, Casket him back to his owner. Banish him. Options are endless :)

Edit : I'm also more of a fan of the TK/TP instead of necro. Book/VHDM will give you those re-rolls anyway.
    You're spending 60 points, no upgrades, for a 1 trick pony (that can be sniped very easily!). WS lasts throughout the entire combat. You suffer less wounds as you would with a necro. Low ini means you'll lose alot of models before you even get to strike.

7. Crystal

Crystal Grave Guard

I prefer to use a tomb prince/king on my list, but Kandorak from undeath can with a dirt cheap casting roll just summon a necrotect into a unit. I think that is where necrotects are most valuable as they are one of the few characters we have that can be summoned with less than 2-4 tokens and if end times magic is used I tend to spam dire wolf, 10 man skeles, cairn wraiths and necrotects whenever I don't have a better choice to boost my counters and clog the field. A brettonian lance formation has enough trouble maneuvering without a thousand roadblocks redirecting it every 2 seconds and is actually pretty pathetic when flank charged, same for sword masters of hoeth. This is especially good in scream lists. Or that phoenix guard bus with 3+ ward. Summoned units surrender no VP, if your oppoent directs attacks at a summoned necrotect they aren't hurting the unit and I've had people overkill and waste attacks on a necrotect. Same they've fallen short slightly or not bothered at all. With this method you do set up plenty of flanks whichdrastically improves the survivability of a necrotect anyway.

8. Nicreap

Nicreap Ghoul

Just a small note, you can NOT summon characters into units, they have to be outside the unit at least an inch away, then you either use magic to let them move into a unit or they sit a whole turn in the open and then join a unit preventing you from charging with said unit.

9. Crystal

Crystal Grave Guard

Oh I didn't know that. In which case I withdraw my statement unless you're using the TK movement spell alongside it. I'll be sure to remember this from now on.

10. Nicreap

Nicreap Ghoul

ya, It's kind of annoying, but it would be kind of overpowered to summon units straight into the safety of units.