1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Undead Warband - Frostgrave

Discussion in 'Unholy Masterpieces' started by King Arthur, Mar 10, 2016.

1. King Arthur

King Arthur Zombie

Hello fellow Undead enthusiasts :)

For the past few months I have been painting and modeling an Undead Warband themed for Frostgrave! I have used models from several manufactures:

Citadel Miniatures
    Gamezone Miniatures
    Heresy Miniatures
    Ral Partha (via Iron Wind Metals)

All painted using Vallejo colours and mounted on either 40mm or 54mm steel round bases. I wanted to tell a story through the basing and painting, this particular band of Undead, I wanted to look degenerate, gory and hungry!! They are centred around the a Female Vampire and are terrorizing hapless adventurers and villagers in the surrounding villages/hamlets.... there will be lots of rusty weapons and blood splattered models, but I did look to portray this group in a way that could represent a loathsome band of Zombies and Ghouls hunting for food, it wouldn't be a clean and happy affair!

So without further words..... here's the Vampire Leader.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And after a long night hunting hapless villagers and adventures, she returns to her ruins to get some rest ;)

[​IMG]

I'll post the remaining 9 models later :)

2. King Arthur

King Arthur Zombie

Next up, is the Vampires trusty 2 Headed Zombie Hound..... it's just finished eating something and is on the prow for the next meal......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A classic Citadel Miniatures 2 Headed Chaos Hound pressed into service as a Zombie dog ;-)

3. King Arthur

King Arthur Zombie

3rd up is a loathsome Ghoul (Ghoul Mother from Heresy Miniatures). I wanted a story to my Undead Group, told through the basing and the painting, as Frostgrave and its surrounding hamlets/villages began to thaw out, more and more people began to appear, my Undead are centred around a degenerate band of scavengers whom feast on blood and flesh..... this particular Ghoul is carrying her next meal..... I wanted to portray the models in a gruesome light as a band of Ghouls, Zombies and a Vampire would not exactly be a friendly, squeeky clean looking bunch of individuals ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. King Arthur

King Arthur Zombie

Next up is the secon Ghoul, a male, scuttling across the clean picked remains of one of his meals....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. King Arthur

King Arthur Zombie

Here's the 3rd Ghoul of the group, scurrying into action over a ruined pillar.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. King Arthur

King Arthur Zombie

Here's the Zombie Cavalryman, the rider is a classic C21 Undead Cavalry piece from Citadel and the Horse is a great Ral Partha sculpt, available from Ironwind Metals:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. King Arthur

King Arthur Zombie

Up next is the troupes Necromancer! It's a classic Gandalf the Grey model from Citadels original LotR License from the mid 80's! Here he is raising a long dead warrior from the frozen ground to do his bidding.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. King Arthur

King Arthur Zombie

Next up is the first of 2 Zombies, a great sculpt this one, a Mordheim Elf Ranger Zombie from Citadel Miniatures! Shambling across cracked ice and snow in search of his next bite....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. King Arthur

King Arthur Zombie

Second Zombie, again from Citadels Mordheim range.... a Female Sister of Sigmar model clutching a snack in her hand ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. King Arthur

King Arthur Zombie

The final model in the group of 10 is a nightmare inspiring Zombie Horse!!! A fantastic, feral sculpt, again from Ral Partha, available from Ironwind Metals:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's it for the Undead in all their gory, gruesome glory! Up next will be some groupish shots.

11. King Arthur

King Arthur Zombie

OK, to wrap up the pictures and projects here some further shots of the models together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

Cool, cool warband! I like how dirty, bloody and filthy you made them! You even managed to make that cheesecake vampiress into something repulsive! :thumbsup: I also very much like the ghouls, I would paint them like this myself ;) The carcass near Ghoul Mother is bloody well done xD The zombification of live minis also went very good ;)

One thing I could complain about is that mould line on the Ghoul Mother's head (or is it?). Otherwise it's great :)

13. King Arthur

King Arthur Zombie

Thank you!!

The filthy and bloody look was my intention from the outset, so I'm happy you like the look :) The Heresy Ghouls are great sculpts, I would recommend them to fellow gamers/painters whom need this troop type in their armies :)

Also the horses I used are marvelous models too! Old Ral Partha Zombie Horses from 1979 :D Ironwind Metals in the USA have the moulds for them and again I would recommend them :thumbsup:

You are correct with your comment, I must have had a painters mental block, because I'm only noticed that mould line after I had taken the photos, so far to late to remove it :redface:

Thanks again!

14. The Real Rick Salamone

The Real Rick Salamone Zombie

The zombie flesh painting and gore are very well-done. The blood-in-the-snow look reminds me of 30 Days of Night.