1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Up, up and at them!

Discussion in 'Unholy Masterpieces' started by padrissimus, Jun 11, 2016.

1. padrissimus

padrissimus Grave Guard

Eilief and Dragonet like this.
  2. padrissimus

padrissimus Grave Guard

Might as well start now ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. padrissimus

padrissimus Grave Guard

4. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

I recognize those pictures from the Chronicles of Death section here, am I right?

So very, very, very cool! It's one to have nicely painted minis and another to have so much scenery for them! Totally awesome :)

On the first picture, you photoshopped their bases out?

Dragonet likes this.
  5. padrissimus

padrissimus Grave Guard

Thanks Borgnine. You are right, some of the pics were used in the illustrated story posts I out elsewhere, but I thought it'd be ok to post them as just images in this sub-forum.

I have used MSPaint before to conceal bases (I don't have photoshop) but this time, and I think I'll be doing a lot more of this, I used a much more low tech solution: I scattered flock, and carefully brushed it into place, to hide the black edges of the bases and make it appear more like the skeletons were just walking along the ground.

Here's another (random pic) from my campaign where this technique came out ok:
    [​IMG]

6. Dragonet

Dragonet Wight King

Talk about bringing the game alive! Thanks for the inspiration.

7. padrissimus

padrissimus Grave Guard

And thanks for your comment. Another, this time from an old campaign ...

[​IMG]

Dragonet likes this.
  8. Borgnine

By 'photoshopped' I meant altered with photomanipulation, but whatever ;) Your method is certainly more interesting - but it must mean a lot of cleaning up, isn't it?

But thanks to that you get very climatic pieces - this picture with clergymen - a photo taken at their eye level really gives a sense of immersion :thumbsup: The pirates are also very cool! The lighting is also different there, nice :)

9. padrissimus

padrissimus Grave Guard

It's kind of random whether attempted effects work. Here are some from old campaigns where it works, or doesn't:

Here's a fail because it didn't occur to me to do it - not like a candle-lit tavern, more like electric lights...
    [​IMG]

Whereas here the goblins marching down a wood-land path works well ...
    [​IMG]

Here are men fleeing from a forest fire ...
    [​IMG]

I liked that method, and used it again in my latest campaign when thousands of corpses were burned to clean a corrupted city and the smoke drifted over the army camp outside ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted to show some very early ones that came out ok, but a certain forum is down and I can't easily get at them! Maybe later?

10. padrissimus

padrissimus Grave Guard

Now that I can access them again, here are some undead images from my first ever story-report (from more than 10 years back I think). Keep in mind that these were a first attempt at this sort of thing, and I tried some 'experimental' stuff ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Not undead, but an important part of the battle) ...
    [​IMG]

11. Eilief

Eilief Zombie

These look great, well done :)

12. padrissimus

padrissimus Grave Guard

13. Borgnine

Damnit, why did I miss it earlier? Awesome work with those effects :) And while some of them are quite over the top, GW could learn a thing or two for you about making cinematic shots for their books! New photos are also very nice, especially the first two - if I imagine away their bases, they look like from an old movie - I love that feel :thumbsup:

14. Wolfrahm

Wolfrahm Ghoul

I really like your ideas and painting style. Just so cool to look at.!

Dragonet likes this.
  15. padrissimus

padrissimus Grave Guard

Thanks Wolfrahm. Some more ...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dragonet likes this.
  16. padrissimus

padrissimus Grave Guard

17. Farmer7574

Farmer7574 Vampire Count True Blood

@padrissimus Your painting is cool, I like how the very dark recesses and the mix of light colours you use on your minis give a cartoon appearance. Really cool :)

18. Dragonet

Dragonet Wight King

Those Hexwraiths are something special as well.

19. padrissimus

padrissimus Grave Guard

Yeah Dragonet, I tried something different with the Hexwraiths. The cloth and flames I did with washes (not easy when using thinned enamel paint!) over a white undercoat, but for the bones I did my usual black undercoat and cartoon painting. I wanted them to look part ethereal, but also to look like they belonged to the rest of my army.

Dragonet likes this.
  20. Dragonet

Dragonet Wight King

It's really effective. I also love the use of foreground and background in your unit pics. As an experiment, would you consider trying to use maybe four to six models and scenery to create a scene using classical composition? Might open more avenues for you to explore, both on the photography front and in terms of wargaming or roleplay? I'm thinking mostly of the crossover potential with WHFRP or Mordheim.

21. padrissimus

padrissimus Grave Guard

By 'classical composition' do you mean golden mean, and rules of odds, thirds and space, sprt of thing? I've never given much thought to those things. Some of the pictures above, unit pictures, were lifted from illustrated bat reps - some taken during the battle (so all I can do is angle the camera) some after the game, before I tidy everything away, when I can set up a few figures to get a better picture for an event during the game.

I don't know if these are like you imagined, but here are some non-undead pics from recent campaign threads that are more 'posed' ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that's just a small collection of the ones that seem most 'pleasing' to me.

22. Dragonet

Dragonet Wight King

I do absolutely. That interior one in the great hall shows great interaction between the models, but don't take my comment as a criticism or even a request; my art studies were very unsuccessful at school so I only have a passing awareness of composition, I only thought it might be another avenue worth investigating if you were interested. I love your photos, and I dare say the stories behind them need to be retold as well!