1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Vampire Footmen advice

Discussion in 'Dying to Help' started by Malarith, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Malarith

Malarith Zombie

Hi all,

I am looking at creating a vampire only force (so no skeletons or wights) but I have hit a massive stumbling block

What to use for Infantry

What models would you suggest to convert into a Vampire only infantry unit?
    Ideally I am looking for both a light and heavy unit that I could use in a GW store, so GW parts only :(

Bonus points if they suit the Lamian or Von Carstien theme.

Cheers

2. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

For Vampiric infantry, I'd go with the Dark Elves Corsair as the base, with a head swap most likely. The overall look of the armour fit the general aesthetic they had for the late VC Vampires (kind of a fluted armour effect). Just remove the few DE-styled skull on the plates, and maybe the spiked part (like the forearms) and it should be good.

For the heads, any Dark Elf head with flowing hairs looks the part. The Corsairs seem to have a few (just try to cut/remove headband piece), and there's a few champion head around that would work (Cold One Knight, DE Swordmen, also HE Shadow Warriors), And you could also use the Doomfire Warlock head (might need work/trimming to make them fit with the corsair collar and rank up). Might be a bit weird looking, worth a shot if you can source the parts.

Otherwise you can go straight up with Executioners or Sister of Slaughters mask. Also you can have a look at some bare Dark Eldar heads. Maybe not a style I would go for, but the Kabalite and Wyches both sport a few of those.

For the more heavy troops, maybe some kitbash of White Lions legs with Cold One Knight torso might work, with whatever arm you need (regular DE swordmen arms might work here). Not sure about the scale mail skirt of the White Lion, but that's best option I've seen so far. Maybe the Dark Eldar Kabalite legs could work here too.

Head option would be pretty much the same, unless you feel like filling down DE helmet to be regular size so you can have some more armour.

3. Malarith

Malarith Zombie

I had not thought about the Corsairs at all, great idea!

Do you think the scaled cloaks would work ok, or should I replace with something more cloth like? Like the High Elf Shadow Warriors?

4. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

I think that red scaled cloaks would look vampiric enough, it could be a very cool thing actually :)

Other than that, I can think of using dark elf Witches as crazed female vampires, it's only a matter of painting them a little paler than usual.
    As for something heavier - I think that empire Greatswords would look awesome as vampires, you would just need to put dark elf heads on them. Or even leave them as they are, who said that a vampire can't have facial hair? ;)

5. Theerteen

Theerteen Cheerful Cranium True Blood

The solution for vampifying everything once human-like: Ghoul heads ;)

Dragonet likes this.
  6. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

It would work fine as-is I think. Alternatively, depending on the amount of work you want to put on this and your modelling abilities, you could shave the scales off the cloak or cover them with greenstuff, and put some green stuff fur on the top part, on the shoulder (Chaos Warrior-style).

@Theerteen ; Good call on the Ghoul heads, never touched that kit myself so they never crossed my mind, looks like they could work wonder too!

Dragonet likes this.
  7. Farmer7574

Farmer7574 Vampire Count True Blood

I think Witch elves would make cool light vampire infantry :)

Dragonet and Adam_Barrow like this.
  8. Malarith

Malarith Zombie

Thanks for all the advice, looks like I will be using Corsairs with Ghoul Heads for my heavy/medium infantry and Witch Elves (again with Ghoul Heads, just need to add some hair) for my light.

Another idea that a mate gave me was to use the Kairic Acolytes (with, you guessed it ghoul heads). I'm thinking of using them as my "Zombies", Witch Elves as "Skeletons" and the Corsairs as "Grave Guard"

What do you all think?

9. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer Crypt Horror

What warscrolls are you using for these undead versions?

10. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

For your Witch Elves, maybe try some Daemonette heads too! I used them for my own Lahmian "Ghouls" (converted with Flagellants legs, Daemonettes torso and head, and Ghouls arms), so the might fit great on Witch Elves too!

Dragonet likes this.