1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Voting Thread. Turning the World to Darkness: Duel / Confrontation

Discussion in 'Dying to Help' started by Borgnine, Oct 3, 2017.

?

Cast your vote!

1. 1. robtion : “Out of my way wretch!”

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. 2: Unas the slayer : “Blood for the Blood God”

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. 3. Alabaster427 : Chaos Warrior vs. Ghoul King

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4. Nagash Worshiper : "A chance meeting on the old road to Praag"

11 vote(s)
    91.7%
  5. 5. Borgnine : "Sir Baranowski and his men"

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. 6. Theerteen : "King of the Hill"

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

It's voting time!

We are voting for the best 'Duel / Confrontation' themed models. Everyone (and that really means everyone, not just entrants and subscribers) has two votes.

I hidden the backstories in spoilers to make this thread a little easier to navigate, it got quite long with all the epicness :)

This poll closes five days from now, that is on Saturday, October the 8th, at about 08:45 AM GMT

Subscribers who get notifications about the voting:
    @robtion
    @Adam_Barrow
    @Eyeless
    @Mad 'At
    @Azakael
    @Shadespyre
    @Farmer7574
    @Devour the Cabbage
    @Nikos
    @Leithel
    @Mioum
    @Angie
    @Sessioni
    @Pigbones
    @Raizi
    @Nagash Worshiper
    @Unas the slayer
    @edwardvlad
    @Theerteen

CONTESTANTS:

1. @robtion : “Out of my way wretch!”

Story Background:
    Acknowledged at court for her sophistication and discriminating taste, the vampire lord widely known as ‘The Arrogant Countess’ gladly cultivates a reputation for cruelty. A creature of pure narcissism and vanity, in times of war she casts aside her extravagant gowns to reveal a flawless physique, basking in the stares of envy and desire from the vampiric nobility.

Strutting through the undead ranks, she mocks and laughs with unbridled scorn at those cowering behind armour and shield. Her own obvious contempt and lack of fear for the enemy only serves to add credence to her derision. Even the elite Blood Knights are not immune to her disdain, as she sneers that no mere Nightmare is fit to serve as her mount.

Riding into battle atop an undead behemoth she surveys the carnage of the battlefield from an elevated position, unassailable in her own superiority. Having been deemed unworthy to gaze upon it’s mistress, her mount’s eyes have been plucked from it’s head, and it charges into battle swinging wildly and crushing friend and foe alike, much to the delight of it’s spiteful master

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2: @Unas the slayer : “Blood for the Blood God”

Background story:
    The massive axe opened a large hole through the ranks of the skeleton warriors, then Grinnorarcen closed in and delivered another swing, taking down more opponents.

The dead of the desert were a so unsatisfying enemy… yes, plenty of offerings for the Skull Throne, but no blood for the Blood God, no screams for pain, fear or mercy, just ranks upon ranks of silent puppets.

A worthless foe, that spoils the fun of battling and killing.

The red Daemon roared with fury and the champion of the next regiment took the challenge. It didn’t last the blink of an eye. How was it possible that there was not a single worthy opponent?
    He was full with frustration, and Khorne’s endless thirst for blood was like a blade into Grinnorarcen’s entrails, a searing pain that the Daemon could not quench… “STOP SENDING FRAIL CORPSES! I WANT TO FIGHT!!!”
    In this conditions, Grinnorarcen was not able to be fully embraced by the blind fury of the sheer battle, so he took a moment to see how the fight was going.
    His army was advancing as expected, crushing all resistance, except…

On the right wing, something had halted the run of the Bloodcrushers.

Grinnorarcen focused on the distant fight and he saw a legion of chariots, arrow shaped, that just cut in two the front line, halting the Juggernauts’ momentum and turning them into prey for the falchions of the following armored statues.
    They were led by a chariot, bearing the insigna of their weak God-King… so the current leader of this army must be his Herald.

Grinnorarcen growled with satisfaction. At least, there would have been one real opponent.
    The Daemon turned to the mechanical work of cutting down chaffs upon chaffs… the task was so unexciting that he decided to keep an eye on the enemy on his right. But the charge had raised a large cloud of dust, that even his enhanced sight could not pierce.
    And when the dust cleared, it wasn’t there.
    How was that possible? The right wing was the only place where the combat was going bad for the followers of Khorne. The Herald should have been there, to support the fight and enjoy the massacre.

Grinnorarcen was still looking for his foe, when a cry of alarm called his attention… something was happening on the left wing. Grinnorarcen recognized the banner, and the chariot with its gore-splattered scythed wheels.
    Fast as the desert wind, the chariots must have moved behind the frontline, and now they were turning the combat on the other side of the battlefield. As wheeled sharks, the chariots were slipping between the blocks of the Bloodletters, taking the toll with volley after volley of arrows, too fast to be chased by the daemonic infantries… and the standards of the Tomb Guards, were now approaching the disrupted ranks.

Grinnorarcen grinned. “you are a smart guy, aren’t you? You stopped our wings, so only our center will advance, and your army will close upon us as a pincer. The problem is: are you sure this morsel isn’t too hard to swallow?”.

The bulky Daemon now was confident that his enemy would have come for him, so he continued his personal one-way fight; the massive muscles were covered by sweat, mixed with sand and grinded bones… the blood of the enemies normally would have washed away his body, triggering the Fury, but against skeletons it was not possible; Grinnorarcen could not rage, and so he studied the approaching Herald, that was now afoot.

In combat, Grinnorarcen was pure fury, and every one of his blows carried an excessive amount of sheer power. Grinnorarcen’s style was not the killing, but the onslaught.

The Herald was elegance incarnate.

He was armed with a flail, made of gilded skulls… an enemy attacks, the Herald feints, the flail comes down. An enemy attacks, the Herald parries, the flail comes down. And so on.
    Each time with a different manoveur, each time with the minimal effort to cut down the opponent. No one was able to stop him, it was like watching a deadly dance, a disciplined warhound between sheep.

To see his enemy approaching, covered by blood and swirling a weapon made by grinning skulls, was definitely a strange sight for Grinnorarcen. “it should be the opposite. This is wrong, and I will stop it right now.”

With a crack of the whip and a mighty roar, Grinnorarcen announced the challenge, and the lesser Daemons created a circle, to watch the fight of the two Champions.
    Both were slowly advancing, with the Herald being cautious, knowing the large Daemon would have gained the first strike, thanks to its superior reach.

And Grinnorarcen knew what he was going to do. Against that kind of opponent, a tactic that never failed him, was to sweep the field with the whip, forcing the opponent to be entangled by the lash, or jump to avoid it… meeting the battleaxe at mid air, with no chance to dodge.
    And so he did, when the herald rushed forward.
    As planned, the fool jumped to avoid the whip… but he deliberately left a leg down. The coiled leg slowed down the jump, and the axe swung just above the curled up target, missing it by few inches.
    Grinnorarcen was out of guard, and the flail came down.

Time almost froze… as in slow motion, an amazed Grinnorarcen contemplated the skulls of the flail, aiming for his head. The syllables of the spell that would have diverted the blow were rolling upon the Daemon’s tongue.
    The skulls of the flail were nearer, their eyes fixed upon him.
    The urge to cast the defensive spell was almost overwhelming.
    Time flew again. The flail crushed into Grinnorarcen’s head, felling the Daemon to the ground.

Grinnorarcen’s brain was bleeding. The Daemon looked at the opponend, standing in front of him.
    In more than a thousand years of battle you were the first… you truly please Khorne. Wipe my army, take blood for the Blood God. May this day be a magnificent offering.

Nekaph raised the flail for the final blow. The jaw did not moved, but a deep voice echoed in Grinnorarcen’s head, the last thing he heard: “I don’t need your permission, and you all will kneel before the might of Settra the Imperishable”.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. @Alabaster427 : Chaos Warrior vs. Ghoul King

Background story, 1st part:
    A lone chaos warrior wandering through Shyish, seeking either a portal home or at least a "friendly" warband to join. He never tires during battle but it's been months since his last conflict and he now hungers for flesh as much as he does blood for his insatiable patron. Nearby, he notices a lone white gryph hound.

He leaps from behind a rock to get a sneak attack and hopefully kill it in one blow. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to sneak up on a gryph hound and it all but dodges the the fatal blow. He severs its foot and it let's out a shrill cry. The wounded hound is easy enough to finish off, but by the time he does, a whole pack of gryph hounds has surrounded him. Normally, they might not engage the warrior as their sixth member is already dead. However, he killed their only female and these gryph hounds must have spent some time with dwarves because they can't let this go. The chaos warrior knows his hunger for blood must trump his hunger for food as he swings his axe around and raises it to fell the first gryph hound that tests him.

[​IMG]

Background story, 2nd part:
    Meanwhile, a ghoul king is scouring the skies, looking for some bodies to add to his horde. Atop his trusty (not like it could betray him, anyways) zombie dragon he peers far and wide. Suddenly his dragon goes into steep dive, having noticed the shrill cry of death directly below. The ghoul king hangs on for dear unlife. As looks forward [down] he sees a host of gryph hounds about to slaughter a chaos warrior.

He knows that he could be patient for the battle to resolve and clean up the bodies, but he is not called the Awaiting Ghoul King. He tightens his grip and allows his dragon to continue on his descent. Besides, who would expect a zombie to attack from the skies?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. @Nagash Worshiper : "A chance meeting on the old road to Praag"

Background story:
    The full moon lit the country road, illuminating the surrounding farms and a lone man clad in furs with a sturdy axe hefted at his side.

Vladic was on his way home from the local inn, a bit unsteady but nothing he wouldn't sleep of. Shoika, his wife, would smack him on the head if he ever complained about a headache in the morning.

Up ahead the main road turned into the old Praag road. The doomed city was still many miles away but even so people said the road was somehow cursed and generally used other paths instead. Last year someone had even found a dead Kossar by the side of the road.

He didn't care much about it. Death was part of everyday life in the north. "The blood of Kislev was civilizations shield" went an old saying and Vladic couldn't agree more.

Suddenly a knight on horseback appeared on the road as if conjured from the shadows. Vladic blinked as his drunken mind took in more details. Man and horse was in fact not man and horse at all. Not alive at least. Ghostly lights flashed from the riders empty eye sockets as it caught sight of him and spurred it's mount to charge.

Vladic was a Kossar. He'd fought nightmares more than once. He also knew his chances of surviving this night. Sobered by the moment he unhefted his axe and sent a last thought of love for Shoika and chuckled. The woman would find a way to haunt him in the afterlife, not the other way around.

From behind, as if appearing out of a story, a gospodar knight calmly rode up beside him.
    "You better leave this one to me Kossar", the riders eyes never left the approaching dark knight, "run and wake your neighbouring comrades. With a bit of luck you'll gather enough men for us to handle this".

Vladic turned and ran to the nearest farm as if Ursun himself was chasing him.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    5. @Borgnine : "Sir Baranowski and his men"

Sir Baranowski was running for his life.

That was supposed to be a small mission with a scouting party to check on one village in Varsavia. He knew that this accursed land was a treacherous place, he expected some troubles... but certainly not a large force of undead with vampires leading them.

Bloodsuckers looked as surprised as the Kislevites led by Sir Baranowski, but they were quick to attack. His men fought bravely, but they were still slaughtered. Thankfully the ensuing chaos was enough for the nobleman to turn tail and run. He'd rather be an alive coward than a brave, dead man. Baranowski jumped into the thick Varsavian forest, hoping to lose his adversaries amongst the trees.

He surely wasn't hearing or seeing any pursuers - that was good - but he managed to get himself lost too. The nobleman heard some of the stories those silly peasants were telling about this land, how the forest can disorient anyone and make them easier prey for the strange beasts roaming those woods. As most Kislevites living outside Varsavia, he dismissed it as silly superstition and exaggeration but wasn't so sure of it anyway.

Finally, tired with all the running, he stopped in a small clearing. Here, he hoped to see the sun and get some sense of direction, but thick clouds made that impossible. While he was thinking about what he should do, he noticed some silhouettes closing in between the trees. Baranowski readied his ax, but as his pursuers moved closer he saw the blue uniforms and the typical plumed hats - those were his men! Some managed to run away too!

But as they came even closer, his relief turned into horror. People he knew were shambling towards him as undead zombies. The marks of last battle were still on them, still bleeding wounds on their faces and bodies, missing limbs, sickly-green, pale faces.

What an accursed irony, he thought. Those bloodsuckers surely had some sense of humor. Baranowski was way to tired and angry to run away anymore. He will kill those undead and run into Kislev. He has to, because Hetman Gorski needs to know about those vampires hiding in Varsavia...

[​IMG]

6. @Theerteen : "King of the Hill"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

Well I have kicked off the voting it seems with a vote for @Nagash Worshiper (love the Knights facing off with the village signs in the middle, let the jousting begin!) and a vote for @Borgnine (lovely zombies as usual and great forest basing).

I enjoyed reading the backgrounds/stories that were submitted too. Added plenty of flavour. Good work chaps :thumbsup:

3. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

I also loved reading all the stories, and some of the unusual model choices people have used, like the circling gryph-hounds, or the tomb kings vs Khorne combination. But I've had to pick the obvious choices by @Borgnine and @Nagash Worshiper this time around (even though I'd have put the fence down the middle of the base, like a jousting list, on that one ;) )

Disappointed I didn't have time to enter this one (I had some suitable models but they were painted 14 months ago!) so I hope the next topic is one I can get involved with...

4. Theerteen

Theerteen Cheerful Cranium True Blood

I will keep my votes secret, which is, with every other one telling theirs, senseless of course :tongue: but I don't like reasoning my choices ;)

Unas the slayer likes this.
  5. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Black Knight

Nice idea, I'll echo this.
    I will reveal my choices (with explanation), but later, when the voting will be closed. :cool:

6. Farmer7574

Farmer7574 Vampire Count True Blood

Top class work all round here chaps.

My first vote goes to @Nagash Worshiper for the knights' duel, I really love the layout here. The fact that the two riders haven't yet made contact generates suspense, and that basing really has that life vs. death feel. Great work mate.

My second vote was a tough choice, but it goes to @robtion for his troll pummeling those zombies into mush - big fan of the carnage happening!

A third vote would've gone to @Borgnine for yet more beautifully painted miniatures - the eeriness of his former comrades-turned undead as described in the background has been captured well in the diorama too.

Great stuff everyone. :thumbsup:

Nagash Worshiper likes this.
  7. Nagash Worshiper

Nagash Worshiper Grave Guard

So, took a while to decide what to vote for but here goes :)
    My first vote goes to @Theerteen! I truly enjoy all the details in the diorama such as the fallen soldier and the rearing Black Knight. There's so much movement, I can realy imagine it being chaotic on that battlefield from looking at what's going on.
    Second was a close tie between The Arrogant Countess and Baranowski but in the end @Borgnines charging Kislev boyar won me over. It's a very cool setting and also beautifully painted.
    It's so fun that there turned out to be so many entries and I really wish we could've had a third vote! :)
    Big thanks to everyone who voted for my entry!

8. Borgnine

Let me throw my votes here :) First one goes to @Nagash Worshiper of course because his work is just plain awesome and I don't think I can add anything that wasn't said already. Second one goes to @Theerteen - I really love the scene created there, how bravely those humans are fighting, despite all the undead - and how nice that knight is painted, it's tough to go wrong with verdigris ;) I would also like to praise entry of @Alabaster427 - it's just so cool how the story was shown using image cropping and dividing the text into two parts, makes the dragon as unexpected for us as it is for the poor khorneman :)

9. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

I appreciate the praise. How do I get votes? I always put a lot of effort, time, and love into my models but I always seem to get last place on these :( are my colors too bold to be undead? Are my techniques of exceptionally poor quality? Is it just taste? Or am I consistently submitting the objectively worst entry? It's really hard not to discouraged sometimes. Alright. That's enough pouting.

I'm not sure how the next theme is decided, but I thought undead OOP might be a good theme. I would love to repaint my Zecharias the Everliving on Undead Dragon but I seem to be missing the dragon part. It would also give the Tomb Kings a bit of a wink and nod.

10. Theerteen

@Alabaster427 I definitely understand the frustration that occurs when you don't get any votes, last time it was the same for me. Try not to get to disappointed with it, take it as input to improve your skills.

While I like your idea, the setting and the arrangement of the models very much, the painting itself looks kinda unfinished, especially the dragon. You use very bright and shiny colours, that's not my personal taste, and it seems to me that you doesn't use different layers of similar colours, but paint most of the model in the same colour. That's good for speed painting, but for a competition entry it's too less I fear:rolleyes: Maybe put some time into painting tutorials, especially layering and matt effects, that helped me a lot to improve... simply all I did xD don't let it take you down getting no votes, I know that's easy to say, but just try. Sadly very few members are as active we wish and don't vote, so there are not many votes to get at all...

11. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

I used the painting app for this. I used at least a dozen different colors for the dragon. Base, layer, wash, layer, dry, etc. I was trying to make it look like undead Viserion from Game of Thrones but the app was having some issues recognizing the colors.

12. Adam_Barrow

Adam_Barrow Sleepless Knight True Blood

@Alabaster427 OOP sounds like an awesome idea! It'd be rad to see some oldies and moldies getting some paintbrush love.

13. Borgnine

So, @Nagash Worshiper won this one by a landslide ;) The next monstrous challenge is up!

@Alabaster427 The next theme is chosen by the winner of the previous challenge - or if they don't respond to my messages, I will think up a new one, probably asking you guys about some ideas. The current one should be plenty good for your Zacharias :)

As for your entry on this one, I think that the glossy varnish disrupted the whole painting, with the shine making your painting harder to read. I spent a whole day trying to salvage my boyar after something similar happened to me... I also personally found the bones on the dragon looking too much like unpainted plastic - if not for that, I would choose your entry. It was generally a tough one, but one has to choose... Like @Theerteen said, take it as a lesson for the next challenge.

Also, don't forget, taking part in this challenge is already a much bigger achievement than whatever have the people that didn't take part at all :) I think it should be about motivation and participation.

Adam_Barrow likes this.
  14. Theerteen

15. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Black Knight

OK, I cannot not symphatize with you.
    Last places are a place I often visit, there's not too much I can do about it.
    The spirit (at least for me) is that a competition with just a couple of entries is sad... every challenge needs partecipants, with things that are not going to win, but that can still be appreciated and possibly collect one or two votes. I'm fine with it.

I knew perfectly that my entry wasn't going to win, but I was happy to share my story, and probably that one gained me my only vote, rather than the battle scene...

Now, my votes:

one went to @robtion: i immediately fell in love for the dark countess, and the idea to create a background gave me the suggestion for my own entry.

I liked very much you BG and the models, but, (as you already knew) the glossy effect kinda ruined it.

@Nagash Worshiper took my other vote (not a surprise, really).

@Borgnine's painting was, as always, excellent and the diorama of @Theerteen was full of life (forgive me the pun, but that dying banner bearer was a masterful touch, as the fighter stabbed by the knight; it would have taken my third vote)

16. Theerteen

I forgive it, because it's great :D ...and there is quite some life left there. And I'd gladly take a theoretically third vote :cheers:

17. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

Ah, that no votes feeling! I have participated here, and on Beast and Empire forums, and frequently had no or few votes. Taking part is a big thing and pushes us to improve.

But if it’s a PAINTING contest, and your forum has a few outstanding painters (as we do here) then it's very hard to compete. That's just how if is. Doing your best (and that includes getting the best possible pictures) and getting mentioned in the also rans is its own reward for most of us...

18. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

Good job all.

Congrats to @Nagash Worshiper on a great entry.

@Alabaster427 Don't sweat it. It is the journey not the destination. You are competing against some very talented people, cough...Borgnine...cough. If you get an entry in you are a winner in my book ;) Just have fun and enjoy your hobby :thumbsup: