1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Warsphinx: Khemerian or Royal?

Discussion in 'Understanding the Underworlds' started by Eyeless, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Eyeless

Eyeless Wight King

I'm working on a TK warsphinx and just as the title states i'm torn between building a royal warsphinx or a khemerian warshpinx. i'm looking at matched play. Thoughts?

2. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer Crypt Horror

Royal is better but is so many more points, especially after the TK nerf goes through.
    The nice thing about the warsphinx is that it had the skeleton and deathrattle keyword which gives it a lot of versatility.

Unas the slayer and Eyeless like this.
  3. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

Khemrian Warsphinx can be taken in a Deathrattle list, so you could take I think Black Knights or Grave Guard as battleline. With a Royal Warsphinx, you get that sweet command ability for slaying bodies. With Settra and/or Abbatoir Battalion, is sick. Honestly, the sphinx itself is no different between the two. I, personally, would magnetize all five riders so you can switch back and forth as needed.

Eyeless likes this.
  4. Eyeless

Eyeless Wight King

i should mention that i'll be getting another sphinx from a friend so i would have both in time. i also have settra and the abbatior battalion, but i think i never played a pure deathrattle list since i always go for a necromancer or a vampire and morghasts. black knights aren't really worth as far as i can see :C

5. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Black Knight

It has all been already said.
    Royalkitty is the best generic TK general, and can boost also VC units. Sadly, it will become costly with GHBII, but still worthwhile.
    Khemrian warsphinx is a generic behemoth, with the right keywords to use it in every deathrattle army. It's slow, but the halved wounds are sweet.

GIven that you're going to have two sphinxes, there's not even the need to magnetize the crew / king

Eyeless likes this.
  6. Eyeless

Eyeless Wight King

yep thanks everyone, i'll probably be going with the royal cat as i'm missing more a good behemoth general rather than a non hero behemoth for my army and i'll try both of them in some friendlies if possible =]

7. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Black Knight

Yeah, you can build good synergies around "Who dares disturb my slumber?", especially with elite units, and the fact that the ability got no range.

You'll double the chances for: double damage of Grave Guards, d3 dam of the wight king, max the deathly charge of Black Knights (even if they cannot be battleline if you field a Royalkitty :(), damage output of a blob of 40 skeleton warriors...
    and if you add some Necroknights to the mix, you'll be golden!

Eyeless likes this.
  8. Malisteen

Malisteen Vampire Count True Blood

yeah, pure deathrattle is kind of a no-go at anything more than the smallest points values due to no casters and no big heroes capable of surviving a round of enemy shooting. Hopefully some day we'll see skeletal mages and some sort of bone dragon or the return of sphinxes or some other equivalent monster characters added into deathrattle...

Apart from that, it really doesn't matter which sphinx you add first, they're all good in different ways. Warshinx is cheap and benefits from deathrattle and skeleton keyword effects. Royal is a powerful, survivable buffing general for deathrattle heavy lists, synergizing particularly well with elite units like tomb/grave guard & necroknights, and making great use of ruler of the night and the tomb blade, but is painfully expensive after the tk points nerf, making it far from an automatic choice over the others. The necrosphinx is lightning fast and very hard hitting, with an unreliable-but-greatly-intimidating chance of dealing tons of damage to enemy monsters, but is again super expensive.

Of all of them, the necrosphinx is probably the least good these days, being largely overshadowed by the cheaper and more versatile mourngul as a big beater, but again they're all quite effective, so this is one case where choosing purely on aesthetics will not serve you poorly.

Eyeless likes this.