1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

What undead would you fear most in real life?

Discussion in 'Liber Mortis' started by Vege Zombie, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Shareya

Shareya Vampire Count True Blood

Untrue. You got to remember usually professional warriors fight the undead in the Warhammer world or at least a huge mass of somewhat trained human flesh with sharp weapons. A common person would have trouble hacking off limbs/heads as you got to remember even if the body is a bit rotten it's not that easy to run a blade through a body.

2. Ordo Cruentus

Ordo Cruentus Order amongst the Dead

That is true. However, the problem here is that they are usually fighting them en-mass, which yeah, changes how I would react fear wise and such.

On an individual scale however, zombies or skeletons are like rotting special ed. children. Stupid rotting special ed. children. Even a halfway clever person could exploit their weaknesses.

Smart undead though? Not only stronger than you, but probably smarter than you...

3. SothaMortis

SothaMortis Zombie

Tough choice but I have to go for either hexwraiths because of reasons already stated or a Necromancer. Why the latter? Well, I take it he/she wouldn't come alone to begin with, and will most likely torment me by letting the corpses of departed family/relatives/friends etc tear me to shreds. Then the necromancer will most likely use my corpse for other vile stuff.

But then again, imagine yourself on your way home, you're tired because of these wicked nightmares that have for some reason been very common and very realistic the last couple of days have kept you awake. Then you hear a familiar sound from your dreams, and sound of wood being strained, the air have that disgusting sweet smell that only rotten flesh has. You turn around and see how a corpse cart is coming straight at you, a wicked creature with a jagged spear ready to impale and add your body to the already overflowing cart.

Nuff said.

4. Menkeroth

Menkeroth A Knight of Blood

It's hard to say what sort of undead warriors could scary me the most, but perhaps ghost of different kinds, esp. Hexwraiths and Banshees. Reasons provided earlier can be fully agreed.

5. Deathless Dreamer

Deathless Dreamer Ghoul

I don't really find any of them scary because they're all impossible really...

However if I were transported to the Warhammer world, I'd be most scared of the Blood Knights.

Imagine if you see them while walking at night and you don't know who they were, and you think they are ordinary knights. You approach them, thinking they will help you or give you directions, when they turn their face to look at you and you realise your mistake. But it's too late to flee and they turn, blow the horn of battle and, as they have done for hundreds of years, they ride you down.

Next thing you know you're impaled on one of their lances.

Or: as you're lying in bed at night, tormented by fitful dreams of terror, you wake to hear the sound of utter, deathly silence. No sounds of life can be heard. You look out of your window but nothing is there, and an unnatural mist is creeping in, slithering its way around the house.

Then comes the beating. Distant at first it seems to come from some far-off otherworld, but slowly it becomes more tangible and real, and you realise it is the beating of hooves. Something about the sound reminds you of ages past, of battles ancient and horrors beyond compare. Then from the wall of mist they come, suddenly appearing in all their ghastly, death-bound majesty; knights of the ancient world that live again in death, their hungry eyes dead set on you, and you know there is no escape. Your only option is to resign yourself to death.

6. Get of W'soran

Get of W'soran CN's Lord of Masks True Blood TVC II GM

Now I'm afraid of Blood Knights :'(

Great Post DD.

7. Sanai

Sanai Stylish Deviant True Blood

Still Banshees for me. There is no childhood fear deeper and more primordial than the fear of the screaming mother figure. Also, the idea of eardrums bursting is really frightening for me. I don't like anything to do with injury to my ears. Combine that with the fact there is little real defense against a banshee and that they can come at you through the walls... and just the sheer malice of a banshee. A vampire sees you as cattle, a skeleton or zombie have little real motivation, a blood knight just seeks to kill you- but a Banshee HATES. Her torment and agony means that when she sets her sights on you, she really, really wants you to die painfully, just for the crime of being alive.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.... except an ethereal woman scorned who can kill you with her voice or her touch that is trapped in endless ghostly torment.

On the other hand, hexwraiths are a pretty scary idea too- once they start coming after you they are as relentless in their very specific pursuit of you as death itself. Having a pack of them riding through the night, hunting you endlessly wherever you go until the day you finally die sounds like a terrifying prospect.

All in all, I would say the more relentless, malicious and personal the attentions of the undead get, the scarier. A zombie is scary but if you get out of sight it just picks someone else to chase.

8. Swissdictator

Swissdictator Vampire Count True Blood

To me the main undead I think of? Zombies, Skeletons, Vampires, and Wraiths/Ghosts.

Assuming it's just one? Wraith/Ghost as it is night impossible to fight them, and cover is useless. So unless I have a proton back, I'm getting out of there. Vampires would be second as they'd have strength and speed.

9. najo

najo Mortarch of the Dark Soul Staff Member True Blood

Banshees and Hexwraiths are pretty top on the list, for all the reasons stated.

10. Dark Lord Sariel

Dark Lord Sariel Zombie

Vargheists, they would rip their victims apart with ruthless efficiency. While others proceed to fight over the blood expelling from it's prey. It's brutal and merciless nature combined with it's speed and strength, entire towns (maybe even cities if they were large packs) would be massacred. The mindlessness and only desire to feed makes them truely terrifying to encounter. They might be rare, but the thought of being eaten, drained of my blood, disemboweled and dismembered while I was alive at the same time is horrifying and a very painful death in my opinion.

11. Banat

Banat Varghulf

I had a dream once where I was out in the suburbs with some friends on a night out and as the night progressed we got separated or went with different groups of friends to different pubs etc. I reached a point where I was alone, had lost my specs (so vision was blurry) and was fairly inebriated, walking through a narrow, fairly long cobblestoned alley (like about two shoulder widths apart, just enough for people to squeeze by each other), and heard a shuffling, scraping moaning behind me. The feeling of terror and that i HAD to get out of the alley is one that I sometimes get in dreams but never something so potent emulated in real life. Just a zombie I'd guess, but so much terror.

Banshees would be pretty terrifying.

My longstanding nightmarish persona is The Woman in Black. All you have to do is just NOTICE her and something horrific is going to happen to you or one you love. She's kind of like a more subtle banshee, replacing the hearing sense with vision.

12. Micheal Valdros

Micheal Valdros Black Knight

I'd have to say Skeletons. Probably the simplest, most bare bones (I'm sorry. I'm so sorry) undead their is, yet still the worst for me. The sound of bones scraping against metal plates, a faint musk filling the air as it draws its blade, it seems just inhuman enough to fall right into the uncanny valley.

13. Mr. Cthulhu

Mr. Cthulhu Zombie

I'm terrified of zombies. I have recurring nightmares about zombies. In those nightmares I'm always alone and there are always zombies right in earshot ready to react to my every move. When I wake up from those dreams, I don't move in case my fiance had turned into a zombie in the middle of the night, so I lie there, petrified, unable to move.

I can't watch zombie movies, or play zombie video games, or else I forfeit a couple days of sleep.

There are reports of fungal based zombification in the animal kingdom. It's happening, I'm terrified.

What is my favorite unit in the VC army book? Zombies, and I want hundreds... :zombie2:

14. Mikune Folf

Mikune Folf Zombie

I think I would be most scared of ghouls or crypt horrors as they look disgusting they are like zombies but even weirder looking. They're poisonous, cannibalistic and have some kind of intelligence so you're kind of screwed if you encountered one.