1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

What's your favourite Bloodline

Discussion in 'The World That Was' started by Master Vampire, Aug 15, 2007.

?

What's your favourite Bloodline

1. Blood Dragon

28.6%
  2. von Carstein

26.0%
  3. Lahmian

12.5%
  4. Necrarch

16.4%
  5. Necromancer

4.7%
  6. Strigoi

11.8%
  1. ExcelDamage

ExcelDamage Zombie

Necromancer as my 3rd (seriously... i want vampires in my vampire army :tongue: )
    then all the other bloodlines tied for 2nd (with the obvious exception of number 1...)
    ... which is Von Carsteins... i think its something to do with them being the most classical of vampires, all the others are great and i really do love them... but vC are just the best for me

2. Jasmyn Von Carstein

Jasmyn Von Carstein Zombie

don't have one specific I love the Von Carsteins because of Mannfred and Vlad but I love the Lahmians because of their beauty and intellect can anyone teach me a bit more on either bloodline as I am a learner please oh wise gamers?

Attached Files:

3. spineyrequiem

spineyrequiem Necromancer

Lahmians are kinda egyptian-ish. As far as I can tell, they haven't really done much in recent years; mostly, they've been sitting in a massive great tower in the middle of nowhere pretending they're still queens of everything they can see. Nefarata, the very first vampire, was a Lahmian and she retained most of the culture of Khemri after vampirification (since she was queen of Lahmia, a city there). However, those lahmians not in her court rather like infiltration-various noble wives and similar are in fact Lahmian vampires, masquerading as living girls presumably just for the lulz. They love skeletal legions and tend to dislike bestial vampires.

von Carsteins are the rulers of Sylvania (in theory) and the most imperialistic of the bloodlines. They specialize in leadership and (obviously) were the source of the most well-known vampires. In previous editions, they have been treated as a 'one-size-doesn't-really-fit-anyone' bloodline, as they tended to be a mixture of all the others. They have a thing for wolves, and thus tend to include dire wolf units in their forces a lot, but otherwise use pretty much anything they fancy. They've got much more popular in the last two editions since other bloodlines were pretty much forgotten in the last army book :(

4. Brahm Tazoul

Brahm Tazoul Wight King

My two favorites are the following; luckily someone has already explained the von Carsteins & the Lahmian. The last is the Blood Knight line, which I will leave to a player who enjoys them to describe.

Strigoi are the lepers of the vampire world. Cast out and hunted for their arrogance, they live like beasts, feeding off of the recently dead & buried. Called "the Ghoul Kings" due to the flocking of the flesh-eaters to their presence, they look upon the other bloodlines with hatred & disdain, blaming them for all that they have lost & all they currently suffer & endure. When the courts of the ghoul kings march, it is with baleful howls & lust-filled hoots. Waves of ghouls, dire wolves, fell bats and all other bestial creatures surge forth from their hiding places. The brute force of death is brought to bear, and woe be to they who stand in it's path.

The Necrarchs are isolationalists. Locked away in hidden mausoleums & forgotten towers, they strive to further their mastery over the dark arts. So complete is their grasp upon necromancy & vampiric lore that they rarely feed, spending vast stretches of time locked away in secret. Seldom seen, they have passed mostly into myth. When they do come forth and wage war, it is usually over some great magical artifact or treasure trove of arcane knowledge. Their might is so incredible that once such a campaign is complete, there is usually nothing left to remember it, and so the vampire retreats to his solitude, to further study his new conquests.

Brahm

5. Skarsnik the Lord

Skarsnik the Lord Crypt Horror

After seeing the 1931 Dracula I had to vote for Von Carstein. Lugosi is just amazing. If I should choose an another favorite bloodline, it would be Necrarch - the original Nosferatu reminds me of Necrarchs.

Old vampire movies are awesome! xD

6. BloodPrinceIsaac

BloodPrinceIsaac Zombie

My favorite vampires are probably the Blood Dragons, but it's because I remember their old back story; with Abhorash and him kicking a dragon off it's own mountain. To me, he's in the top 5 badasses of the warhammer fantasy world. >.>

7. Dbunibe

Dbunibe Zombie

I love lahmia as I'm a converted TK player.

I must point out though, that the Von carstiens are not "classic" vampires. They may be the most recognizable, but that idea of a vampire is historically fairly new. You can thank brahm stoker and anne rice for Von Catarina style vamps.

The true classic style vamp would be striogi as they are the closest to the original European vamp in stories from Romania (the name is also spelled almost the same). Look to the movie nosfaratu to see a striogi on film

8. woodster17

woodster17 Skeleton

It really depends what your definition of 'classic' is- Von Carstein's have very much become the archetypal vampire when people imagine the race in WFB now. Nobody outside the hobby is going to know who Von Carstein's are so that only applies in the WFB context. My personal favourite are the Blood Dragons- when I was a young(er) lad I used to base lists around ultimate killy BD's- calmed down a little now. Narrowly followed by Von Carstein's, Strigoi, Necrarchs and Lahmian's.

9. Malochai

Malochai Moderator Staff Member True Blood

The von Carsteins have gone beyond being the archetypal WHFB vampires now; they are becoming the only bloodline that GW are focussing on (from a gaming point of view) - if you look, you'll see on the site that they've removed the Necrarch, Strigoi and Lahmian vampires, and the army book fluff focuses on them to the exclusion of near all else.

Of course, there are BL books, such as the Ulrika series, but nothing rules-wise. Yes, you can create your own vampire however you want, but they do push you in the direction of von Carsteins, in my opinion ...

10. UndeadSi87

UndeadSi87 Skeleton

In order of favortism.

Lahmian - Come on they were the first!

Blood Dragons - Aborash was queen Neferati's champion and spurned her love, also he killed a dragon and now no longer needs to feed on humans. I also have a Brettonian undead Army...

Strigoi - I love the whole beastial nature about them, but they remeber what they once were and seek to reclaim it. They are the outcasts of vampiric society and hate the others for forcing them into this position. Rember they had the kingdom Of Mourkain.

Von Carstein - I love the vampire wars books but they are abit to political for me. They want to take over the Empire but they are just the generic brand of Vampire for me.

Necrach - Eh...Casters...

11. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

I voted Von Carstein.

The VC army book and fluff is certainly biased towards the Von C's, but then this IS a Vampire COUNTS army book. The book focuses on them because they have the biggest current and historical impact on the Old World where most of WHFB action takes place. But it still allows you to use other bloodlines, or indeed base an army around other bloodlines, or just Necromancers, if you wish. I'd compare this with Warriors of Chaos - you can play a Troll King army or a single god army or whatever, but you wouldn't expect those to be the focus of the army book.

It's a shame those old models have been withdrawn, maybe we will get replacements, or maybe they are just one of the many options across many armies which GW won't sell an official model for. Or maybe in a new wave of Finecast - look at all the Bret releases this month, they obviously don't mind doing FC versions of pretty old models.

12. Thorin Hubertson

Thorin Hubertson Zombie

Strigoi - they don't care for social conventions, good looking or anything like that. They are just pure, original emotions with long teeth!

13. frankenstine

frankenstine Ghoul

has to be von carstien manfred is just pure awsome

14. Count Matthewzilla

Count Matthewzilla Vargheist

Von Carstein, of course. Love the books and I gotta love that aristocratic vampire archetype.

My second is strigoi.

15. Chaos Zombie

Chaos Zombie Skeleton

Von Carstein- it is the most flexible of all of the bloodlines. you can have Von carstein army with Nerach elements, blood dragon elements,lahmian elements. we've got it all.xD

16. Seneschal

Seneschal Liche True Blood

Farewell, Lahmians, fare well. I have returned to my original choice from 6th edition, the aristocratic Von Carsteins. We are by far the most infamous of the bloodlines and the most feared. Our wars with the empire of man have been legendary. We are far more numerous than our blood dragon, strigoi and necrarch cousins (and perhaps the lahmians as well) and we are the true heirs to the throne of the night.

17. Kassill

Kassill Ghoul

*Raises goblet of blood* Hear Hear! :konrad:

18. Malochai

I think Neferata may have something to say about that :tongue:

19. Seneschal

Seneschal Liche True Blood

Oh, I have no doubt that she will, we Skype every other Tuesday. ;)

20. Malochai

Well, good to see she's keeping up with modern trends :thumbsup:

21. Mello

Mello Hasn't left TVC for the rest of the forum True Blood

Actually, that may be me under a pseudonym...errrr, about those "photos of nefrata" you received....

22. Nagashizzar

Nagashizzar Vargheist

This! :thumbsup:

Game wise, I like the Von Carstein because they are the Jack of all Trade of the vampire! :vampire2:

23. WoT

WoT Zombie

I tend to go for unique things, so I'm inclined not to say the Von Carsteins despite them obviously being the dominant bloodline. I like the sense of honour in the Blood Dragons, they feel like anti-heroes to me in that they do have honour and go about things the noble way most of the time instead of underhanded tactics. I also like the Strigoi because of the fact they are outcast for something that shouldn't come as a surprise for Vampires.

I've not read any stories though of Blood Dragon armies or Strigoi armies it always seems to be Von Carstein so it's difficult for me to decide which of these two I like, it's hard for me to imagine a strigoi leading a proper army since they appear to be have little in the way of goals or ambition.

24. TheKurgan

TheKurgan Zombie

I like the idea of warriors seeking to acquire victories and martial accomoplishments instead of land or titles so I voted Blood Dragon.

25. Kurt_the_Corpsetaker

Kurt_the_Corpsetaker Zombie

I decided on the Necrarch because I liked the idea of a vampire that has utilizes arcance science.