1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

witchkings Plog

Discussion in 'The Tale of X Gamers' started by witchking1980, Jul 12, 2010.

1. witchking1980

witchking1980 Black Knight

Well the list is:

4x spirit host bases(lotd models)
    5x blood dragons (full command)
    2x corpse carts (1 balefire, 1 lodestone)
    2x Varghulf (1st one is ready, one more to go)
    25x Grave Guard with great weapons (full command)
    6x characters

I will begin with Spirit Hosts and today or tomorrow I will post a pic of them assembled xD

Good Luck to all and may Naggash give us strength, motivation and imagination:vampire3:

2. witchking1980

I will start with these spirit hosts for now

[​IMG]

3. Onikaigo

Onikaigo Vampire Lord True Blood

Good luck to you! Those are some impressive hosts, I must say...they're much better than the default version. Are those LotR models?

It's time to start painting, so make those ghosts...ghosts! :ghost::ghost:

4. witchking1980

Yes, indeed they are LotR models and they are excellent in comparison to the original Spirit Host models. And now, you can see them painted. I have used SethDrallitoc's technique which is easy and effective :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

5. Santawraith

Santawraith Moderator Staff Member True Blood

Yes id agree both simple and stunning. Im really impressed how the lord of the rings modesl look at spirit hosts.

6. Sanai

Sanai Stylish Deviant True Blood

Yummy, never liked LoTR models due to the smaller scale, but those look like they will work well.

7. Capt Rubber Ducky

Capt Rubber Ducky Vampire Count True Blood

The Lotr army of the dead models are slightly larger then some of the other Lotr models.

Excellent work on the hosts, I think I may have to get some for my army, I look forward to seeing more

8. witchking1980

Thanks for your kind words all!

As for the models if you really like them don't worry about their scale. If you put them next to your other units you will not see any difference on the size. Except that you can make 6 monster bases with four models on each as the box contains 24 models. It is a beautiful and economic solution xD

9. Disciple of Nagash

Disciple of Nagash The Perverted One Staff Member TVC II GM

Great start :thumbsup: I'm doing the same with some mini -wraiths I have, I'm also thinking of the blue as well!

10. witchking1980

next target...Corpse Cart(Balefire) :scared:
    I am expecting that I will need many hours painting it but anyway it is one of the masterpieces of our army!

[​IMG]

11. Santawraith

your next victum eh? Looks like it is assembled well, I had many issues assembling mine. Good luck with the painting.

12. Vandurian

Vandurian Skeleton

Love the wraiths, I never liked the real spirit host models myself :thumbsup:

13. witchking1980

I have a slight problem putting the corpses on the cart but I did it after some tries :redface:

I expect that it will be difficult to paint since it is assembled and I have to give some nasty curves on my brushes but that's life if you want to play with the models first :)

I never liked them either, I think we need some fresh models especially for spirit hosts, fell bats and bat swarms.;)

14. Santawraith

Doing the cart without corpses on it for painting reasons ourselves. Then I plan to glue them on. It seems to be making it a bit easier. Least with the primering stage. But yes that is the life of a modeler.

15. Angel

Angel Ghoul

Nice idea using the LotR models for spirit hosts, and cool painting on them as well.

16. Disciple of Nagash

Disciple of Nagash The Perverted One Staff Member TVC II GM

So how is the CC coming? I hated painted the zombies on the back.......and yet I have to do it again for this project :(

17. witchking1980

Since DoN asked for it xD look at the currect CC WIP project!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next step is to finish the zombies to the front, then do the fires (I have really been testing again & again how to do fire effect) and finally the metallic rusted parts of the cart. I hope that I will make it soon enough!

Hope you like it:lol:

18. Nikos

Nikos Vampire Count True Blood

thats coming on very nicely, the zombie skin in particular. How did you do the wood if you dont mind me asking? Good stuff:thumbsup:

19. witchking1980

For my zombies I have used a technique that was one of the Invocation issues. Part of this zombie painting tutorial was how to paint the wooden parts, so I did it in three stages:

1. Scorched Brown (basecoat)
    2. Scorched Brown:Khemri Brown mix (1:1)
    3. Pure Khemri Brown

Stage 2 and 3 were done with light drybrush

I hope that this will help you :)

20. Santawraith

So hows the corpse cart coming, I am intrested too seeing how it turns out for ya.

21. witchking1980

Finally, the cart is finished! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan to paint a varghulf or maybe two in once, I shall think about it...

22. Santawraith

I love your cart, hope mine turns out as well as yours did. Your fire looks so clean, how did you do that out of curiosity.

23. TheBlackBey

TheBlackBey Skeleton

I agree with SW, nice job on the balefire. Looking forward to hearing about your fire technique!

24. witchking1980

I am glad that you like the result. I have spent many hours mostly testing the fire effect and to be honest it could look better.

As for the fire technique I have used as a guide mostly for theory this

FIRE TUTORIAL

Have in mind that fire goes from white on the bottom to red on top.

1. Basecoat the flame white
    2. Drybrush with golden yellow
    3. Watered Golden Yellow making a glaze in the recesses of the bottom flames
    4. Watered Blazing Orange making a glaze in the recesses of the flames on the top/middle of the fire.
    5. Drybrush with Blazing Orange
    6. Drybrush with Blood Red
    7. Drybrush with Red Gore
    8. Drybrush with Scorched Brown

Stages 5 to 8 will be done going higher and higher on the flames and maybe you can see it on the flame I have done and even better on the fire tutorial.

25. Nikos

Nikos Vampire Count True Blood

Very nice looking corpse cart there, liking the rust effect and zombie skin, well done. And thanks for the fire tutorial I started my corpse cart yesterday so thats going to come in handy. :thumbsup: