• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Gatti

Ghoul
Apr 11, 2012
Yes, definitely scales for nightshroud or ogre blade (the new chaos jugger riders are why I recommend possibly taking the S7 sword... T5 and 1+ armor could ruin your lord's rampage). Oh, and if you take the nightshroud, remember that means you can take heavy armor, giving your lord a 2+ armor to stack with his 4+ ward.

Highly recommend also taking 2 terrors for the chaos knights that will likely be around. I say this also because deploying 3 huge monsters is a lot of fun (spoken from experience here).

Gatti

Ghoul
Apr 11, 2012
I got a 15-5 win against magic heavy warriors of chaos with 2x hellcannon and LV 4 tzeentch. He tried to cast gateway on my dragon, got it with IF once (I prioritized dispelling that every other turn), but didn't roll the requisite 11 or 12 for strength to remove me. Combine that with the fact that he had to distribute hits between lord and mount, he survived pretty well, and he tore it up in combat. The gateway didn't remove him from viability.

I wouldn't be too worried normally. Death could hurt, but the dragon is T6 S6, and the lord is LD 10, so that helps decrease the effect of death snipes (as you use the highest stat of the model for all such tests). I wouldn't use it against teclis, as the sheer number of tests he will cause would be bad, or if you use him against teclis, get into combat ASAP. The only thing I would be hesitant to take him against would be a coven of light (3D6 S7 banishment hits would ruin his day). Otherwise, he should survive a magical onslaught pretty well, since the stats of the dragon and lord combo is pretty high for all those spells that remove ward saves.

Jul 13, 2012
Every time I've fielded the Zombie Dragon it and the rider has absolutely wrecked face.

Granted those games were against Skaven, High Elves and daemons, e.g. not many cannons.

Our terrain also includes many rocky formations and woods that you can hide behind, so the only problem I have is to play enough 3000 pts games to use him.

I've just found the dice gods bestow luck when you use models you really like:) I think it's a karma thing...which would explain why any ghouls I field struggle to keep up with zombies....

Melle

Sir Larpsalot, champion of larpers
True Blood
Apr 7, 2012
Sweden
woods no longer block line of sight.
and its perfectly playable in 2500pts too, if you skip red fury ;-)

Yorga

Vampire Count
True Blood
Apr 7, 2011
The Sun King said:
They don't block line of sight, but they do stop cannon balls from bouncing through them... I think.

No. I believe is an old rule.

Count Matthewzilla

Vargheist
Sep 14, 2012
AZ
I love my zombie dragon. He's nicely painted. Fun to put on the table with my Terrorghiest. But he's just so many points of not the most competetive. I wish cannons didn't auto kill him.:(

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
To be fair they do not autokill your dragon... unless you're as unlucky as me. The real problem I see is that the rider ALSO takes the cannonball to his face. That, and it's a points sink.

Count Matthewzilla

Vargheist
Sep 14, 2012
AZ
Oh, no. I find the dragon awesome when I can use him. They murder stuff in cc with a nice Blender on top. But, I'm afraid two dwarf cannons is autokill regardless.

Ether Dude

Ghoul
Apr 7, 2009
Hey all,
I took a zombie dragon and 30 hexwraiths and pitted them against ETC dark elves (50 unkillable pegasus riders, 6 levels of magic, 20 shades, and the rest in dark riders and spare power dice). It was a fun game. I won it based on the power of terrorgheists and several key dice rolls. Namely, passed an I test for an irresistable pit of shades on Mr. Dragon.

I thought that I could test on the lord's I, but that is not the case apparently? If so, I'm much less inclined to take the big guy, even if he's 2 tons of fun. Initiative magic is pretty common, so it's a fairly major weakness, especially with the whole scattering/base size dilemma.

Really, it wasn't going to be a huge change in the game since the lord never actually made it into combat (see above regarding flee to victory army). Still, it's a thing to keep in mind when running him, so stay 24" away from the shadow mage until you're able to kill it! Also, at 2400, the vampire lord is pretty close to naked. I had fury/asf, shield/heavy armor and the 4+ ward item. That was it. Couldn't even spring for a lance :( 2500 would hurt less.

Cheers,
Ether

Ether Dude

Ghoul
Apr 7, 2009
50 is a tongue in cheek number lads. Calm down. It sure felt like a lot though! I think there were 5 characters on pegasi flitting about the place.

Johnny, can I get a page reference for that? Based on the BRB and recent FAQ, it seems like both parts of the model, vampire lord and zombie dragon, get hit, and in the case where all models in a unit are hit (zombie dragon/VL) you use the highest I available to each i.e. 7 and 2. Where did I go wrong?

As for the HW, they are awesome. Seriously, they just wreck metaface. Mourngriffs? Don't care. Ironcircle deathstar? Don't care. Ironcannons? Don't care. Unkillable pegasus tanks? Only (!) 3 can have 2+ ward saves and guess who gets tarpit/terrorgheist lovin first? Meanwhile the HW just cause conniptions while the VL rides hell-bent to smush that annoying lvl 4.

If I wanted to make it a competitive list, I'd ditch the dragon for a hellsteed, 2nd gheist and some magical goodies, but really, the dragon is all kinds of awesome. Just cuz. Also makes people feel like they can win, even as he rips off faces.

30 HW is they way to go. I mean, yeah, light councils wreck your day and you need to tiptoe around certain magic heavy builds, but frankly, ignoring 90% of warhammer is just so friggin sweet.

Cheers,
Ether

Gatti

Ghoul
Apr 11, 2012
@ whoever above said you can't take red fury with a zombie dragon lord at 2500 pts:

Vamp Lord
-Zombie Dragon
-Quick Blood
-Red Fury
-Heavy Armor, Lance
-4+ ward
-Ench Shield
611 pts.

Which is under 25% of lords. Thats the build I run at 2500 and it works like a charm. Either that, or drop the lance for OTS.

datalink7

Black Knight
Aug 30, 2010
The best build for a Zombie Dragon Lord is 6 Vargheists in a 3x2 formation to block cannon balls :P

Aug 9, 2012
datalink7 said:
The best build for a Zombie Dragon Lord is 6 Vargheists in a 3x2 formation to block cannon balls :P

This is my new strategy for my Zombie dragon. Although I use two lots of 3*1 Vargheists. The sole reason for their existance is to get in the way of war machines, and then for any survivors to fly off and GHEIST SMASH said warmachines.

My Zombie Dragon hero tends to be magic heavy rather than combat heavy, so can repair the damaged units after they have taken one for the team.

It works, but is a tad of an expensive solution.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
If someone held a gun to my head and forced me to field a Zombiedragon I wouldn't go the magic route, I would just want it to kill everything in close combat so I would put a BlenderLord on it and not a caster.

Gatti

Ghoul
Apr 11, 2012
Agreed. What is the point of a zombie dragon if you don't throw him into combat? You are spending over 200 pts for an extra 5 attacks at S6... and you want to avoid combat? Why not save your points and take a guy on a hellsteed instead?

Also remember, regardless of what level he is, LV 1 or LV 4, he only heals 1 wound per cast on vargheists, and invocation does not heal the mount at all, only the attribute can do that. I take a LV 1 and defaults to attribute to heal stuff that blocks for him. Othewise, he is in combat as often as possible. Why else take a dragon if not to be in combat?

I also find it funny how against dragons people are. Mathhammer can only do so much. He *might* die to a cannon, but he may not, and once in combat he gives new meaning to the term "blender vamp." I just find it funny that the people most against the dragon are the same people that have never tried using it.

Elbisrever

Ghoul
Dec 12, 2011
Aye. The same way I feel about the Coven Throne, although I have not played it yet. It might get destroyed by a cannonball, but it also might seduce soldiers and wreck there faces a few seconds after it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu