• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

1,000 pt tourney game 1 report

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
True Blood
So today was the small tourney in Spokane. Three rounds, 1,000 points, objective based games. It was a great turnout with a good spread of armies. 16 people showed up. All of the Chaos gods made an appearance 2 Tzeentch, 2 Nurgle, 1 Slaanesh, and 1 Khorne players. Order only had 1 Stormcast, 1 Sylvaneth, and 1 Seraphon player. Destruction had 3 Ogor players and 3 Orruk players. I was the only representative of Nagash, which was actually quite refreshing. I regrettably forgot to take pictures.

In the first round, we had the first pitched battle scenario. one objective in each deployment zone. Players need to have at least five models within 6" of the objective and no enemy models within 6". Any player that controls both objectives, starting in round three, immediately wins a major victory. Otherwise, it goes by points eliminated for a minor victory.

My list:
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist; general; Red Fury; Cursed Book
Crypt Ghast Courtier
Screaming Skull Catapult
Ghouls x20
Ghouls x10
Ghouls x10

Opponent: Orruk Ironjawz
Megaboss, general, brew
Weirdnob Shaman
Brutez x5
Gore Gruntaz x3
2x Ard Boyz x10

I got initiative on turn 1 so I let him go first. From my perspective, he had the brutes on the far left, next to a unit of Ard Boyz with the Megaboss right between them but slightly behind. Next to the Ard Boyz was the shaman (also slightly behind) next to the other unit of Ard Boyz. The gore gruntaz were on the far right, to try and sweep around my right flank. He basically just moved everything up, trying to stay out of charge range for my ghouls. He put inspiring presence one of the Ard Boyz units and Mystic Shield on the other. He didn't get his other spell. My deployment had both smaller units of ghouls protecting the objective and the ghast right behind them. My catapult was off to the right, hiding behind a building. The GK and the larger unit were slightly to the left with the ghouls in front. My turn one was also just movement. The GK wasn't able to get close enough for a scream and the catapult failed as usual.

Turn 2. I get the double turn and move my GK up for the charge and the larger ghouls as well. I dispatched one of the smaller units to meet the gore gruntaz trying to eliminate my catapult. I then realize the rookiest mistake of rookie mistakes had been made. I forgot my hero phase... No Unholy Vitality. No IP. for possibly the next three turns. I decide to not let it get me down or distracted. I really want to snipe his megaboss, but it's 12" away from the GK. The shaman, however, is only 9". So I shoot the catapult at the shaman and for the first time in its existence, it hits. It wounds! The shaman is spooked because he thinks that the skulls on his staff have started cursing him. He fails the save and takes four damage out of 5 total (maybe 6). At this point, I am unsure if I want to scream at something that I could just easily kill in the next combat phase. Better safe than sorry. He prays to Mork (or possibly Gork) for salvation, but his pleas are drowned out by the terrorgheist. I go ex-wife on him roll a six on my scream. I charge in my GK and my ghouls. The GK only makes it to the ard boys and the ghouls get a high enough roll to get within 3" of the GK. I only get five wounds off on the GK and fail Red Fury. He gets 2 wounds back on the GK. The ghouls do their fair share, since not all of them were close enough to attack, and trade two ghouls for 2.5 ard boys.

On his turn, he Waaghs and gives IP again. He also thinks it's time for a nice cold brew (to be fair, there should be more beer in Warhammer). He tries to sneak his megaboss and brutes by my ghouls to charge my GK, but rolls low charges and decides to engage the ghouls. The ghouls take a beating from the megaboss. 6 go down. I get some pretty good counter attacks with GK and wipe out the middle unit, ard boys with Red Fury. The brutes take out four more ghouls. The ghouls fail to hurt the megaboss, but take a brute down. The other ard boys fail to wound the TG. I get lucky and only lose 1 ghoul to battleshock.

Turn 3. I get the initiative (whew). I give IP to the severely weakened ghouls, but snake eyes Unholy Vitality. I heal both wounds on the GK. The ghouls moving to defend the catapult get there and I decide to send the ghast in behind them, leaving both small units of ghouls in range. I shoot at the megaboss with the catapult and it's back to normal with its terrible aim. To be fair, you can't really expect the crew without eyeballs to know where they're shooting. I roll a one on the scream, so nothing too serious. I decided to attack with the ghouls first, seeing as how they might soon die. The ghouls fail to do anything. They are blocking the GK from attacking the megaboss and the brutes, so I get the bright idea to retreat them into the enemy objective next turn, pending their unlikely survival. He takes out 3 more ghouls with the megaboss. The GK takes out the rest of the remaining ard boys, but nothing else is in range and loses out Red Fury. The brutes take out three more ghouls. Blast. I won't have enough models to claim the objective, even if they do retreat. I go over to attack his Gore Gruntaz and realize another rookie mistake was made. I forgot to charge.

His turn. He lets out the Waagh and and decides now is the best time for the double brew. He gives IP to the brutes. He charges the gore gruntaz into the ghouls that are protecting the catapult. He attacks with the megaboss first and kills all remianing ghouls. I attack with the other ghouls and deal 2 wounds to the gore gruntaz. They demolish all 10 ghouls because he rolled an 8 to charge.

Turn 4. I get initiative. I still don't get Unholy Vitality off and IP is pointless. The Ghast flees back to the other unit of ghouls, but doesn't get far. The catapult shoots at the megaboss and whiffs it. The megaboss cautiously mocks the aerial skulls, seemingly thrown blindly into the battlefield. He then hears a sound so terrifying, it makes a waagh sound like a whisper. The shrill scream of the Terrorgheist chills him to his core and he perishes. I charge the brutes and vanquish them.

He only has the gore gruntas left. He charges the catapult and rolls another 8, which gets him into contact with the ghast as well. He decides to put two models' attacks into the catapult itself instead of the crew and only 2 wounds get through. He deals four to the ghast, but it lives. I deal no wounds in return.

At this point he concedes, but because it's impossible for either of us to claim both objectives, I only get a minor victory. He expresses to me how terrible it made him feel that I poofed his shaman on turn 2. I told that I didn't even want to but his megaboss was out of range. Little did I know that I killed the bigger threat.

Out of all 8 games, only one player got a major victory.

Rookie or veteran, you will always forget something xD

Nice victory, a pity for the lack of pictures, but in tournament you usually have something else do think on.
Just a question: only one major victory on 8 matches... was the scenario, the same for all the battles?

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
True Blood
Rookie or veteran, you will always forget something xD

Nice victory, a pity for the lack of pictures, but in tournament you usually have something else do think on.
Just a question: only one major victory on 8 matches... was the scenario, the same for all the battles?
Yes, but due to it only being 1,000 points, most players had a lower model count. Because the only way to achieve a major victory was to control both objectives simultaneously, you would need at least two units and at least ten models. If one unit has ten models, it can still only claim one objective. So most people just tabled their opponents, but didn't have enough models left over to claim the objectives. If it were higher points, I'm sure it would have been a different story. One guy, who also happened to be my round 3 opponent, only brought six models, so it was impossible for him to achieve a major victory.