• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.
Apr 23, 2009
Philadelphia
edit: after talking to friends I increased the point size to 1500. sorry for any inconvienance.
I've had the battalion and my army book for almost a year now but held off on learning fantasy until the new rules were released. Now with the new release, a lot of my 40k friends have purchased fantasy armies as well.

With that being said, we do not have access to a rulebook yet (we're waiting for the mini-books from island of blood). My list is made based on what I learned from watching how to play videos from beasts of war on youtube.If there is anything illegal about my list (or illogical for that matter) please tell me and I'll amend it. I'm still learning :)

Heroes
Vampire - 190
• Ghoulkin
• Infinite Hatred
• Blood Drinker
Necromancer – 105
• Extra Spell
• Book of Arkhan
Core
Crypt Ghouls x 25 – 200
Crypt Ghouls x 20 - 160
Corpse Cart – 100
• Balefire
Corpse Cart - 100
• Balefire
Corpse Cart - 75
Special
Grave Guard x15 – 270
• Great Weapon x 15
• Seneschal
• Musician
• Standard Bearer
• Banner of the Barrows
Total: 1200

Thanks in advance

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
RE: 1200 points; first list ever

Don't worry about the legality of your list, it is perfectly fine the way it is right now. I think you might have spent a bit too many points on those Corpse Carts though - I reckon that having more than one at this size of game would result in diminishing returns. You could drop two of them and use those points on strengthening your Grave Guard unit. They need to be able to take the punishment they're likely to face as your most dangerous combat unit. Make them at least 20+ strong.

Your Vampire general is looking a bit vulnerable without any save and with only the Blood Drinker and his magic to sustain him. Do you know which armies your opponents will be using? If you won't be facing much in the way of artillery you could go for the Dread Knight power in place of either of the powers you already have, giving you a serviceable 2+ armour save. Alternatively you could drop the Blood Drinker and instead spend the points on some protective gear. You could also swap him out for a Wight King, since they're now elligible to be our generals whenever a Vampire Lord isn't around - he'd be a lot more survivable than a hero Vampire would be, and can still pack quite a punch with either a Great Weapon or the Sword of Kings. He'll likely cost less points as well~

Apr 23, 2009
Philadelphia

thank you for your reply! sorry for the late response, I was at a labor day party all day.

as of now, the current group I will be playing with is myself, empire, skaven, lizardmen, and high elves sometime in the near future.

I wanted to buff the grave guards, and indeed I did have them over 20 strong but I thought I had to keep that down to 25% of my list or whatever? god I need a book >.<

I thought about squeezing a wight king in as one of the heroes but wasn't sure about if I needed a vampire or not, and I also did want access to some of our spell casting since I noticed that I'm going to need to rush to close combat which scared me a bit.

I'll refine the list and post a new version later or tomorrow, but thank you again! :)

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden

Special Units can take up to 50% of your total army size, unlike most of the other components. You should be able to fit a nice and solid block of Grave Guard if you want to.

Post up your new list when you wish and we can have a look at it again. :)

Apr 23, 2009
Philadelphia

I amended my list to 1500 points. After talking to my best friend who usually complains about the size of games, he said he's aware that fantasy's better suited at bigger totals so I decided to jack up my point size appropriately. Here's my new minty fresh 1500 point list. As before, any help is appreciated :)

I also got 14 left over points to play with and no idea where to put them. so help with that as well please! :D
Lords
Vampire Lord – 365
• Walach’s Bloody Hauberk
• Blood Drinker
• Infinite Hatred
• Red Fury

Heroes
Wight King – 125
• Sword of Kings
• Flayed Hauberk

Core
Ghouls x 30 – 248
• Crypt Ghast
Ghouls x 30 – 248
• Crypt Ghast
Corpse Cart – 100
• Balefire

Special
Grave Guard x25 – 400
• Full Command
• Great Weapons x25
• Banner of the Barrows

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
Looks nice and compact to me. You should consider swapping your Lord's hauberk out for the rulebook Armour of Destiny. For only 5 points more you'll trade a point of your armour save for another one on your ward save - definately worth it. ;)

Also, if you'd give your Wight King the Dragonhelm instead of the Flayed Hauberk (ending with a 3+ save instead of a 2+, still good and well) you could also give your Wight King the Army Battle Standard for some added combat resolution and the re-rolls to leadership tests. I think you'd be over by a single point with these changes though, but dropping a single Ghoul from either unit will deal with this issue nicely.

Vampire bk

Ghoul
Aug 22, 2010
u might as well take a small skeleton (also for raising) unit cause ur crypt ghouls are ought to take some damage from range

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu