• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Lingonberry

Zombie
Dec 3, 2007
Hi this is my current army list that I use for tournaments and casual play. So far I have won most games except vs chaos (lost most vs chaos actually) and a draw here and there. I made this list for a tournament and been using it most games after that. Since the list is based on magic I have some problem vs lost of DD and very hard hitters, but if I don’t roll really bad on my spell lists most things turn out okay.

Tactics: Use magic to animate new skeletons, slow the opponents down , blast the opponent, be annoying and take vp at the end. Use wolves to annoy, flank charge and take out war machines. Grave guards to deal some damage and take out the units that my other units is holding up. Spirit hosts to annoy, flank charge and take on chariots and monsters/ elite units without magic attacks. Zombies are mostly for keeping some necromancers safe, but can be used as fodder if the situation requires it. The banshee is for heavy troops and lone characters, she is a new addition to help me with chaos and similar teams. I think that the army is somewhat adaptable and can be used against most army’s that aren’t loaded with unbreakable units and dispel dices. It is somewhat fragile if I aren’t allowed to raise troops and keep my troops together.

Characters
Necromancer 125pts, General, Level 2, Book of Arkhan

Necromancer 140pts, Magic Level, Staff of Damnation

Necromancer 150pts, Magic Level 2, Power Familiar

Core
10 x Skeleton Warriors 120pts Spear, Light Armour, Shield, Standard

10 x Skeleton Warriors 120pts Spear, Light Armour, Shield, Standard

20 x Zombies 130 Standard

5 x Dire Wolves 50pts

5 x Dire Wolves 50pts

Special
20 x Grave Guard 329pts Shield, Standard, Champion, Banner of the Barrows

3 x Spirit Hosts 195 pts

Rare
Banshee 90

Power: 9
Dispel: 6

pts used: 1499

Harak Iman

Ghoul
Aug 18, 2007
Thats a really magic-heavy list, I can understand if you have problems with hard-hitters:D If I would change anything I would try to get two or so new grave guard. If a unit of 20 models lose one single model, it will only get +2 rank bonus. And that's really annoying.

Lingonberry

Zombie
Dec 3, 2007
Harak: I see your point but I don't think that 2 GG would do any different, except vs light ballistics. If a unit of grave guards would get into combat/ get shoot at they would probably loose more then 2 troops rather quickly. To ensure a more lasting +3 rank bonus, I would say that you would have to add 5 or so GG to the unit, and that’s half a zombie unit.60 pts are to much for a +1 cr for a few turns (Grave guards are usually the last unit standing anyway, so it don't need more troops for survivability).

Thanks for your opinion btw.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
I agree with Harak; against missles, they are T4, AS 4+. Against BS3, S3 arrows from regular range, A lot of missle fire is also ranked, so to take out 2 grave guard you'd need:

20 shot, 10 hit, 3.3 wound, 1.6 makes a save, so 1.6 die.

You'd need a bit of concentrated firepower on them to do damage; anything with higher strength is normally not given to skirmishing units, so you don't see such a wide front. I'd get an extra 2 units of GG, worth 5 zombies for sure.

Harak Iman

Ghoul
Aug 18, 2007
With nine power dice you can cast three 7+ IoN with good chance of succses per turn, and no army will be able to dispell that in 1500p, so I would say pay for gg, raise zombie. It depends a lite on if you want a more elite CC army, or a more hordish army. Both ways work great.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
Definitely worth it, as concentrated firepower works better than spread out combat res IMO. If your opponent has a more elite army, all the skeletons and zombies won't be worth a whole lot. Grave Guard will be worth a ton though.

Lingonberry

Zombie
Dec 3, 2007
Ok, I can see the upsides with dropping some zombies and getting a few gg. But I still don't think that 2-3 gg will help that much: If someone with a little fire power is going to shoot at my gg, he's probably going to take down 1-3 gg before they get into combat (as you said grisnakh), but a few archers or/and a war machine is relatively easy to distract with magic/ fast troops. However, if someone with a lot of firepower, heavy magic or many war machines (or all tree...) are going to fire at my gg, chances are that more then 3 is going down. So I say drop 10 zombies and get 5 gg. This means however that almost a third of all my points are invested in one unit...

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
It won't help a lot, it'll help a bit. It won't be a game breaker. A few archers you can distract, but not on the first turn. Yes, if the enemy has 4 war machines all firing at your GG, they'll go down and it won't make a difference, but no matter how much or how little firepower your opponent has, they'll still be focusing on the GG. The other advantage is in victory points; the smaller the starting size of your zombie unit, the less points your opponents will score for elminating it or cutting it down to half size. The larger your GG unit, the more units they have to elminate as well; important if it's 1/3 of your points are in this unit.

The archers may start shooting at direwolves, but most firepower will be directed at your GG, but anything you can do to keep the extra CR you should do. I know if I were facing them, I'd rather have them at 20 than 22 or 23.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu