• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

1k Undead Legions Starter List

Hello! I've been toying with the idea of playing Vampire Counts for quite a while now, and the recent expansion proved to tip me over the edge. No first hand experience with either them or Tomb Kings, so any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also not for a particularly competitive environment, but play among friends and at my local store.

Necromancer (Lore of Vampires): Level 2 Wizard, Earthing Rod, Obsidian Trinket

Liche Priest (Lore of Nehekhara): Level 2 Wizard, Dispel Scroll, Ironcurse Icon

20 Zombies: "Full" Command

20 Zombies: "Full" Command

40 Zombies: "Full" Command

Khemrian Warsphinx: Fiery Roar

Casket of Souls

Screaming Skull Catapult

I'm looking to overwhelm with sheer numbers (even if what those numbers constitute is garbage) by the time I clash with my opponent's front line, and think my two wizards with spells and lore attributes capable of adding to my horde of zombies will accomplish just that. I plan on putting them with the large unit of Zombies in the middle, having those extra little magic items of theirs (I needed to burn some points) protect the largest group a bit better from magical and war machine bombardments. Of course, the Necromancer and Liche Priest will have to jump ship before the fighting starts. Hopefully with their loadouts my opponent won't be able to shut down my magic very well and make it difficult to raise a good number of bodies.

The Screaming Skull Catapult will do some damage from afar and hopefully disrupt the enemy lines with panic while the Casket of Souls will make for a stronger magic phase and deal with anything from chaff, to flankers, to war machines. This ranged bombardment made it tough to squeeze in something like a hammer at 1k, however, but I was thinking of taking a Khemrian Warsphinx for a spin. A well placed breath attack could deal some decent damage, it has okay hitting power, and above all, longevity, although I'll have to look out for war machines and poison. I'm kind of putting all my eggs in one basket at this point when it comes to my main line's offense, but think it will prove pretty reliable.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

Its not bad, but I think your units of Zombies are to small to constitute a worthwhile tarpit. Consider taking Lore of Undeath...its incredibly good and IMO in a 1k game will be massively important.

Just imagine summoning a 150+ pts unit in the middle of the game..suddenly your running with a lot larger and deadlier force. for the points your spending on the Warsphinx i think it might be better to run a combat vampire because if your relying just on your two casters and they...miscast..then your going to struggle to get any ground back. Do a simple combat based vamp and then maybe increase your Zombie units in size with the spare points.

I'll also pitch in some advice about the zombies (having tried a full zombie list for fun a while back). In my opinion & experience zombies alone will not win you anything. As you might expect from their cost they're extremely fragile and they're no good in combat (unless buffed in some way by magic). Add in the unstable rule from being undead and you can be surprised how quickly they evaporate due to combat res as well.

What I would do instead is have only one large unit of zombies to use as a tar-pit (maybe 50), and then invest the remaining points into stuff that can act as hammers to the zombie anvil. With what you've got for the moment you're going to be relying on 3 units (the sphinx, catapult, and casket) to do most of your killing, and at 1000 points I don't think they'll manage it. I'd consider adding in something like vargheists, grave guard, black knights and so on - something that will hit like a tonne of bricks when it charges someone's flank to disrupt their ranks and rack up some kills to offset the zombies crappyness. Keep your wizards close so you can keep resurrecting the zombies and prioritise what you kill first (for eg war machines, missile troops and the like).

I haven't read the new rules regarding undead, so I don't know how much of a buff they've received, but equally I don't think it's likely zombies will have become good enough to warrant taking only them as your core choice, so I would still avoid that ;)

Thanks for the advice! Looking forward to learning from experience, too...at this point, having no first-hand experience with the undead, it's hard to know exactly how quickly those Zombies will fall apart, so that's good to know.