• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

2250 Tournament VC - New Book

Nedar

Wight King
----Edited 2/24/09 07:28PM----

I was just brainstorming a different type of list that what I've been running lately with the new VC rules. I've been running magicy vampires extensively with Skeletons as my main force. I prefer Grave Guard, so here's my first draft of a Wight army.

Vampire Lord (Level 3 Wizard) - Red Fury, Eternal Hatred, Dread Knight, Blood Drinker, Walach's Bloody Hauberk
= 440pts
Vampire - Walking Death, Avatar of Death, Falyed Hauberk, Talisman of the Lycni, BSB
= 205pts
Wight King - Sword of Kings, Nightshroud, Barded Steed
= 140pts
Wight King - Black Axe of Krell
= 125pts

14 Skeletons - FC, War Banner
= 132pts
10 Ghouls
= 80pts
10 Ghouls
= 80pts
5 Wolves
= 40pts
5 Wolves
= 40pts
Corpse Cart with Balefire x2
= 200pts

18 Grave Guard - GWs, FC, Dead Legion
= 289pts
17 Grave Guard - FC, BotB
= 279pts

Vargulf
= 175pts

Total points = 2250
Total Models = 88
Power Dice = 6
Dispel Dice = 5 (Two Balefires)

------------------------------------------------------
OLD RAMBLINGS

The General is running with the 19 GG. Should be able to smash almost anything with this unit. Lord will keep the GG in tip top shape with Blood Drinker and magic if needed. They'll outnumber most enemies, so autobreak is the name of the game.

The Wight Kings are running with the 18 strong GG unit. I might drop the Strigoi banner for War Banner, or mabie try to squeeze in the Drakenhoff banner...but hatred will help my duelist Wight. At best he can have WS6, +1 to hit, Re-roll misses. Of those, he gets KB on a 5+ to wound, and due to nightshroud he will always go first in a challenge (barring the amber pendent of course). Top it off with 3+ AS, T5 and 3 wounds and 19 Wights at his back and this is a very solid unit indeed. Everyone has 3+ AS in fact, making them a tough nut to crack.

The ghouls are for flanking, the support vampire will probably sit in a ghoul unit behind the lines if shooting is a concern. Viable option to drop her for another vargulf mabie. Though she'll produce a nice boost to my magic phase with 2 more PD that can give me more ghouls.

Wolves are grade A diverters, Balefire CCs will help push my 5DD that much further against magicy armies.

C&C Welcome.

VladtheLad

Grave Guard
The 3 infantry core requirement is starting to getting on my nerves.

You have to field another unit of zombies/skeleis/ghouls, wolves don't count as core.

Balefire is really popular :)

Nedar said:
Vampire - Master of the Dark Arts, Helm of Command, Talisman of the Lycni
= 190pts
Love it :D Even machblocked he moves 9"

Caster vamp with helm of command is something I bet we will see in most armies.

And I do see that youre using 3 valid core units :) Sneaky of you to place "x2" behind the carts and ghouls etc.

Atm. I would probly skip the wraiths and take 2x20 zombies. but thats just me. Wraiths might work better since youre not a magicky army.

I don't see the reasoning behind giving the vampire Master of the Dark Arts. Only that vampire can use the dice. I suppose he could roll 2 for raise or danse and the last for invoc ... or 3 at 3 invocs. I'd recommend Dark Acolyte and Summon Ghouls instead ... you'll get more out of it in the long run.

A barded skeletal steed for a wight king is 20 pts total for the steed and barding. Also, you should give your BSB a great weapon (which also is quite expensive).

Hello, i like your idea about two strong units of GG, especially with the double Us banner.. But isnt your vamp illigal, helm of command and talisman of lycni is both talismans, right?

And i agree about that summon ghouls and extra magic level might be more useful..

Good Luck!

Heffaklump

Nedar

Wight King
Correc Heffaklump, I forgot to change it when I realized it earlier today...I just kinda tossed on the Talisman cuz I could.

True, in another list I made him a Dark Acolyte with summon ghouls, I'll probably run that. I thought about MotDA because it'd give him PD to heal the grave guard if they needed it, but 1 less PD for one more spell and summoning ghouls past max is better probably.

I was 5 points short on the Duelist then, 140pts is his total then. Thanks Nermal. I used to always put GWs on my BSB wight, simple because I could. However, I'm anal-retentive about certain things so wanted the entire unit to have 3+ saves and HWs cuz i'm a tard like that. My fave wight Model is the metal GW one too, go figure.

I just have that second vamp in there for support. Boosting a unit to WS6 wherever needed, a few extra PD, another DD, general annoyance. Probably best to keep him though.

The price on the Vargulf was simple me being a clown. It's kind of giving the exact point value for it since it's a single unit with no upgrades, but it's unwieldy not to put the point value in...so whatever GW.

Post edited to fix a few things.

Nedar

Wight King
Edited my list. Changed the support vamp to incorporate slightly less magic but have a much larger impact on combat. He is kited with something really interesting someone suggested: BSB and Walking death for an innate +2 CR. He also has the Lycni Talisman for super speed, and a GW for hitting hard with Flayed Hauberk for protection. This vamp will run with the skeleton unit, running out to engage flanks or chariots or other such things if need be. Or just adding support to the smallish block of skeletons.

The 17 GG have the two wights still, one is designed to take out US1 characters in a challenge; while the other is there to counter ogre's and other US3+ type models with multiple wounds that are immune to KB.

C&C Welcome.