• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

2250pts. All-Comers list. "Blood" (updated)

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
At a distance, it was not much more than a larger ruin. If you were to step closer though you would scarecly believe what you laid your eyes upon.
You would see large walls, crumbled towers hidden away from travellers with thick undergrowth, tree whichs branches snaked their way up against the walls and into the windowslots. It was not dead at all, it had a sense of warmth to it and birds could be heard resonating, echoing off its walls and from within its many corridors. The fate of this place of serenity would soon be changed thanks to a small group of curious humans. Young and unaware what was slumbering in the deep they ran and played, sang and chased each other up and down the corridors. Simple games but their playground was quite special, today though time seem to pass quicker than usual. Darkness fell on the ruins and suddenly the warm feeling was all but gone. As they played along one of them, the youngest, saw some movement inside as he passed a window. He told the others but they just mocked him but the young one did not give up and all of them entered. At first they saw nothing but then all of the sudden they saw it. A Huge hairy muscular but thin beast. It let out a terrible roar and the kids ran away, all but one. The young one froze in terror, even as the beast approached it. It feel into the light as it was not night just yet and that was when he saw its eyes, angry eyes. A low long snarl escaped its mouth but then suddenly the anger in its eyes disappeared and it froze like it had heard something it did not expect.
It shock its heard in frustration and suddenly looked at the boy with scared eyes and then lashed out but never attacked, more to urge the boy run. Then he heard it as well, a roar and muffled words and then a scream which sent shivers down his spine. Silence followed and the beast was gone. The silenced lasted for what seemed forever and when it broke the boy turned and ran. The voice that broke it was a cry to a clear starfilled sky, its cry was;
"BLOOD!"

...or in common words, I've gotten my interest for the hobby back and I am hungry for blood. However, the world is strange to me. Not so used with the new book of death so I ask for your help! Anyways, here's the list!

Oh, I will not use the drakenhof banner. I feel I will get enough flak for being a VC player anyways hehe.

The Dark Lord Mr Fluffy

Master Necromancer
True Blood
RE: 2250pts. All-Comers list. "Blood"

Hey there Danceman, welcome back to undeath!

A fer things I'll say about the list, which is pretty good all in all:

Characters:

The 2nd vamp (not a vamp lord) is illegal, as he has two magic armours. New rules say we get either the enchanted shield, or else we get our magic armour, sadly not both :(

Your lord has the sword of kings, which is alright on a vamp, but you get your points worth on a Wight King. If you were to swap BSBs to a vampire, and give the sword to the king, he can make a serf of most models. Add in the enchanted shield from your other vamp, or the ever classy gem of blood, and you have a steam tank in Wight form :tongue:

As for the Might Vamp, I'd make him my BSB, so no magic items sadly. But add in walking death, and Dread Knight for the save alone. That makes a +2 CR banner as well as a nice ward from the Blook Keep flaggy.

Rest of it:
I'm not a huge fan of the Warbanner on wights, I'd stick in the Banner of Strigos, as that'll work for your vamp in there too :D. The warbanner is best suited on the larger skellys unit.

I'd take some Black Knights, with the King mounted in there too. Back it up with your varghulf, and you have a tank unit again, maybe with a screaming banner? I love charging Lizardmen players with that "Cold blooded? Not anymore!"

The only thing I'd say to drop is the Wraiths, if not, make them up to 5 models. 3 is just suicidal, 4 is dodgy, but 5 is great :)

Yer core is very solid, even with the tiny ghoul unit (I presume it'll be cannon fodder anyway)
Special could use a few BKs honestly, and I wouldn't bother with the fell bats with all of those Wolves.
Rare is pricey but still good (more wraiths!)

Have a good game anyway :)

Danceman

True Blood

Thanks for the input(and for pointing out my stupidity with the nightshroud character).

Likely changes will be; Vampire will be given Sword of Battle, and vamp lord might get Sword of might. Enchanted shield will be dropped obviously.

I wanted more wights and indeed black knights but I have no idea where to find points as right now its pretty stripped down at it is.

EDIT: After dropping the E Shield, given the vamp lord sword of might, the vamp sword of battle and dropped the war banner! 50pts! and an additional wraith! so 4 wraiths and 1 singing girl! :tongue:

The Dark Lord Mr Fluffy

Master Necromancer
True Blood

Looking much better :)

I still push for more wights! Don't know how to fit them though... :tongue:
Thats still a strong list, and it'll do you well.

Aegis

Varghulf

i also wouldn't take the flag of blood keep on a unit on foot, if you are gonna sock him in a unit of GG i usually take drakenhoff (yes i know its a big slice of cheddar cheese.)

Danceman

True Blood

Aegis said:
i also wouldn't take the flag of blood keep on a unit on foot, if you are gonna sock him in a unit of GG i usually take drakenhoff (yes i know its a big slice of cheddar cheese.)
The drakenhof banner is out of the question for the reason stated, its too much cheddar.

But bear with me here...
The GG unit hold alot of VPs, my opponent will undoubtly aim to wither it down. If not by shooting, it will be magic missiles. Regardless it will take ALOT of it. It also holds two characters one of which will be striking first and will probably be able generate a few kills thus denying attacks for my opponent. If some badass character desides to challenge he will be fed the GG champ and have his unit hammered down around him. While powerful, it isnt overwhelmingly so. That being said, the rest of list will also be able to cause quite the fuss.

The Rod of flaming death was a fun thing I used to play around with before and now it has just gotten stronger(ie more hits). Given it is a heavy infantry army it is a nice and fun item(and quite unexpected) to take out brave wizards/alters/other light targets, or to to create a disarray amongst a gunline for example and if the fell bats would happend to end up behind with a failed panic check :cool:

I supposed I should have said so in the first place, I wanted to avoid the obvious no-brainer choices when making the list, while still be competitive!

Danceman

True Blood

Right, I made some points blunders. This is the updated list and hopefully will see its first game on thursday agains the new DE. Should be a good game.
Main things changed are the BSB and Vamp lord, and skellies turning into ghouls(which fit the fluff better as well).

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member

Is the unit of 10 Ghouls a bunker? If not then definitely a resounding no especially against DE, if I was the DE that unit would be wiped out so you won't be able to heal it with IoN. With such a big unit of GG you can easily afford to drop a few to bump up that ghoul unit. The five fell bats can be a bit unwieldy and as you won't get all in BtB possibly a waste. I would look at getting points for another bat and fielding two units of 3, opponent has to split his fire power and will do the job as effectively as the bigger unit.

Danceman

True Blood

The unit of 10 is only really there cause it has too be. Its main purpose is to watch the flanks, counter charge and so on. Few things will as a result have LoS. I dont count on it live and if you should shoot it I dont care, it is only 80VPs and that is something I can live with. If left alone, it either will just remain as it is or if chance given I will bolster the numbers through IoN.

However, I agree with you on the bats. This list probably will benefit more from that one. I also made a small compromise with the tiny ghoul unit. Made it 12 strong instead. Still fill the same purpose but slightly more annoying to get rid of. The vampire lord also got dark acolyte instead for a more powerful magic phase.

Danceman

True Blood

Right had a game VS dark elves. I felt I put too much points into my characters and a result the BSB is dropped. During the game I really missed something that could make that nice quick counter charge. The config of characters have also been changed, and this is probably the list I will bring on monday when I face off DE again. REVENGE will be mine!

So here it is, the "final" version of my Blood list ;

-2250pts

Vampire Lord ; Level 3 : 450
Items ; Flayed Hauberk, Biting blade, Skull Staff
Powers; Summon Ghouls, Forbidden lore, Mastery of the Dark Arts

Vampire ; Level 1 : 165
Items ; Book of Arkhan, talisman of Lycni
Powers; Avatar of Death(Hw + Shield)

Vampire ; Level 1 : 190
Items ; Rod of Flaming Death
Powers; Inf. Hatred, Dread Knight

20 Ghouls; Ghast : 168
15 Ghouls; Ghast : 128

10 Ghouls : 80

5 Dire Wolves : 40

6 Black Knights : 144pts

20 Grave Guard ; Full command ; War banner : 295

3 Fell bats : 60

1 Varghulf : 175

(5)4 Wraiths; 1 Banshe : 275

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
The only thing I would possibly consider is swapping out the Dread Knight vamp for a Wight King, you can still have the Rod of Flaming Death, plus the BK retain their insubstantial steed rule (assuming you put him in there?) and a lot tougher to kill.
You also have the added bonus that you will free up some points, I would put the Banner of Hellish Vigour of the BK (Marching 16" through impassable or difficult terrain sounds fun) and I think you should also have enough to give the GG GW which I would always do so you have a hard hitting infantry unit.

Danceman

True Blood
True but I while being more resilient I rather have that extra 4+ IoN and dispell dice. I would be down to 5DD with no scrolls, even with the staff that is too little IMO. With 6 I can stop 2 big spells with more confidence. He will join up with the Grave Guard initially, having him with a cavalry unit would pretty much defeat the purpose of having the Rod(an item I've grown attached to). Landing "doom and darkness" on a unit before firing it will suck dispell dice or even a scroll if cast on an important unit. If ItP there are spells for that too. Gotta love forbidden lore :)

Thanks alot for the feedback guys!

Cheers